MR2 Mk2 misfire/hesitation. - dan
Hi all,
My lady has a G reg (89/90) MkII MR2, one of the early ones with no spoiler and about 30bhp less than standard. She has just paid out £650 for just about every gasket in the engine to be replaced. Exhaust and inlet manifold, rocker cover gaskets, head gasket plus some other gasket l never heard of.
Everything's fine, regained the smoothness and power - except the primary reason she put the car in for in the first place: hesitation/misfire under acceleration. She isn't best pleased that it hasn't been fixed. Normally this seems to happen when you try to nail it in 2nd/3rd i.e. under load.

Initially I figured it could have been a manifold airleak messing the mixture up and a fault code reader agreed, add a bit of a major oil leak and a few old rocker gaskets leaking oil into the sparkplug pits and hey presto £££££££ later.....and it's still er..not right.
I'm thinking that unless the garage is totally inept, they would have checked to see if the fault codes were not reappearing after the work. I'd like to get it sorted for her, so l'm left considering what it could be:
Distributor Cap, Air Flow Meter etc....

Does any of you know what are likely causes given the symptoms? I am not familiar with the eccentricities of MR2s myself, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Shotgun parts approach to be avoided if possible (At the moment Milady would rather heave a fridge through the windscreen than spend any more money on it!)

Many thanks,
Dan

MR2 Mk2 misfire/hesitation. - teabelly
If the garage said that doing all this would definitely fix the problem then she should take it back and say that a) it hasn't b) they are going to have it until they do c) give her a courtesy car if it she needs one and d) they won't get any more money for doing it as it was already part of the contract that they would fix the problem for £650. If they get really difficult then she can insist they put all the old stuff back on and give return her all her money, then she should take it to another garage. Or she could get an independent inspection of the car by someone else and if they say the problem was in fact something simple she has then got grounds to get a good chunk of her money back for any of the unnecessary work that the first garage did.

Has she got anything in writing from the garage about what the fault is and what the garage think is causing it?
teabelly
MR2 Mk2 misfire/hesitation. - owen
A similar problem on my Lotus Elan was solved by changing the spark plugs - maybe worth a try if it hasn't already been done?
MR2 Mk2 misfire/hesitation. - T Lucas
Dizzy cap,leads and plugs,check/change.
MR2 Mk2 misfire/hesitation. - Dynamic Dave
Another fuel icing problem maybe?
What's fuel icing?

The other stuff was actually required, bar maybe the rocker cover gaskets, although they were a mess. You can't really tell them to put the old gaskets back!

I reckon cap, rotor and leads as T.Lucas suggests. AFM is also a suspect (anecdotal evidence from other MR2 owners).

I want to get them to reset and pull the codes again should that fail. Short of any further advice l will do this next week and report back.

Thanks all.
MR2 Mk2 misfire/hesitation. - Dynamic Dave
What's fuel icing?

It's where very cold air gets drawn in though the air intake and subsequently freezes the air/fuel mixture in the carb/injection system. As we've had a recent cold spell, a lot of peeps here have been suffering with it. Mainly VW's, but could happen with any car.
Not dismissing that the other stuff wasn't required, but maybe the garage forgot to, or didn't align the air intake back over the exhaust manifold correctly, after the strip down.
MR2 Mk2 misfire/hesitation. - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Dan,

HT lead insulation breakdown a common problem on these.

Regards, Adam
Isn't anyone in the least bit surprised that a garage can do this much work on an engine and not even bother checking leads/cap?
MR2 Mk2 misfire/hesitation. - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Hi Dan,

Disappointed yes. Annoyed (if I was the owner) yes. But surprised ? No. Gave up being surprised by such things a long time ago !!

Regards, Adam