Honda Jazz Hybrid - Honda Jazz Hybrid - johncyprus

My wife is in the market for a year old Jazz CVT. We've been offered a year old Hybrid by a Honda dealer. We hadn't considered a Hybrid but the price for this one is attractive and all Hybrids have the CVT transmisssion. The reviews on the Hybrid are broadly favourable. my one reservation is the battery pack which is expected to last the life of the car but I see that Honda will only guarantee the battery pack for five years. Should the battery pack be a concern? I've had Hondas before and they are pretty bullet proof, it would be my intention to do what servicing I can, myself ( using Honda parts to maintain warranty ). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Honda Jazz Hybrid - TeeCee

The oft-expected outpourings of woe from hybrid owners facing bills for battery packs seems to have failed to materialise. General consensus appears to be that they should be good for around 10 years.

Have a look around here and see how many times premature battery pack failure has been mentioned. I've never seen one.

Note that Honda's IMA system is a parallel hybrid, so the engine always has to run when the car is moving. There is no option of electric-only drive. A colleague has had the Civic hybrid, which uses the same internals, for nearly four years now and he's very pleased with it. That CVT and IMA combination is a very pleasant drive.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Honda Jazz Hybrid - thunderbird

I've had Hondas before and they are pretty bullet proof, it would be my intention to do what servicing I can, myself ( using Honda parts to maintain warranty ). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Servicing normally has to be carried out by a main dealar or any VAT registered garage using OEM parts. A non VAT garage or DIY would end the warranty.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Honda Jazz Hybrid - daveyjp
A friend has the non hybrid with CVT and regularly sees 50+mpg. Over 40 round town. Does the hybrid offer mpg which makes this look paltry?
Honda Jazz Hybrid - Honda Jazz Hybrid - johncyprus
Honda quote 62mpg overall for the Hybrid, maybe 55mpg is achievable in real life so a 10% advantage only, plus the benefit of £10 VED. The person writing the cheque will be my wife and she is not too sure about this new technology. This car, a one owner with low mileage, offered by a Honda dealer seem very well priced and is costing what other ordinary CVTs are advertised for.
Honda Jazz Hybrid - Honda Jazz Hybrid - madf
A friend has the non hybrid with CVT and regularly sees 50+mpg. Over 40 round town. Does the hybrid offer mpg which makes this look paltry?

63mpg at best.

In my view the Honda hybrid is a blind alley with the wrong technology. Having the engine running all the time when the car is moving negates most of any potential savings when coasting.

The Toyota system is far better for fuel consumption - but their gearbox/engine combination used to be very noisy at speed/hard acceleration - although latest models are better.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Honda Jazz Hybrid - Falkirk Bairn

Cars need BHP & torque when moving off, accelerating and climbing hills.

Cars do not need that much by way of power cruising at a constant speed.

Honda Hybrids give you instant extra power when needed and the rest of the time the small engine covers all other requirments.

National grid is founded on Nuclear, Coal + others and when a peak is needed Hydropower from the likes of the Loch Awe pumped storage - power within a second. When the grid demand is low the Coal & Nuclear power is used to pump the wate back up the hill into Loch Awe.

Similar to Hybrid Honda - power when you need it and re-charged over normal running.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Honda Jazz Hybrid - Ethan Edwards

For the same sort of money you could get a brand new Toyota Yaris Hybrid.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Honda Jazz Hybrid - unthrottled

Honda Hybrids give you instant extra power when needed and the rest of the time the small engine covers all other requirments.

Don't get it. An engine can carry out the duties of accelerating very effectively. It's pottering around where it becomes inefficient.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Honda Jazz Hybrid - madf

Offiial mpg combined

Jazz: 62.8

Yaris Hybrid: 80.7

No contest.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Honda Jazz Hybrid - daveyjp
Honda Hybrids give you instant extra power when needed

The Insight I drove must have had that feature missing. It made a lot of noise to suggest power was being produced, but between the engine and the wheels it seemed to disappear!