Nissan Note 1.4 2008 - Increased Noise Level - Noisy Note

My car has started making a lot more noise between about 45 - 65mph, though there is no loss of power and there are no knocks or sqeaks. Sounds like increased engine noise or road noise - its hard to tell - the car has never been quiet. Opening th ewindow and listening doesn't help to identify where the noise is coming from.

A local garage looked at it and said they thought it was the rear wheel bearings were going - the mechanic I spoke to said there is no play in the wheels when you try to rock them but he could hear it when the car was driven past him.

Does this sound reasonable?

Any suggestions

Noisy Nissan

Nissan Note 1.4 2008 - Increased Noise Level - Snakey
Possibly a blowing exhaust somewhere? My vectra developed a sort of droning noise which was eventually found to be a slight blow at one of the exhaust joints.

Nissan Note 1.4 2008 - Increased Noise Level - Oli rag

I had terrible tyre noise a couple of years ago from some avon tyres. They were fine when new but the noise was unbelievable when they were half worn. It was so bad that I suspected my rear wheel bearings.

Nissan Note 1.4 2008 - Increased Noise Level - gordonbennet

Agreed, could well be the tyres, i've scrapped tyres (Toyo as it happens and other than noise/ride they were fantastic for wet grip especially), at 4mm due to ridiculous noise and harsh ride though acceptable when the tyres were newer.

You'll have too jack the back up and spin the wheels if bearings are suspected, but i expect road roar.

I've recently had to soundproof the back end of a couple of small cars, C2 and Aygo, the difference i transmitted road roar hads been remarkable, in both cases the thin plastic mouldings were the only covering over the rear wheel arches, both cars are transformed...might be worth having a poke nose under the boot/arch trim see if your rear wheelarches and boot area are similarly uncovered.

Road roar is a big problem, especially with low profiles, there are some tyres designed for quiet running.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/11/2012 at 09:01