A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - nevvyc

I placed an order for an A5 Cabriolet in July 2012, after the usual difficulties of all the local Audi dealers being unflexible and wanting to tell me what I needed to buy and how I needed to buy it. I live in Surrey, and ended up getting the best deal from Bristol Audi, for the 3rd time.

I expected a 12 week delivery, and was subsequently pleased to receive a facory availabilty date of 9th November. T's and C's obviously state this is a bit flexible, but I was a tad annoyed on 29th October 2012 to be informed the date had changed to16th February 2013. Equivalent to a 6 month wait.

No apology or reason given by Audi UK (soon to be re-branded Aldi if they continue with this sort of Customer Service, unless you think I am being over zealous?)

My annoyance was componded by the fact I had planned the sale of previous A6 to coincide with delivery of my A5 around the 9th November (tomorrow!).

This is my 3rd new Audi in 7 years, what do you think I should do (I have already done something!).

Best Regards, from a long term Telegraph reader, love your column.

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - TeeCee

Well if it were me I'd cancel the order, citing their inability to deliver and buy something else.

Then write to Audi's customer service types saying what I'd done and why, mentioning the three previous cars and enclosing a photo of my new something else to illustrate that weasel words are not getting this customer back.

Actual lost sales are the only thing they really give a monkey's about.

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - Mike H

I can understand your annoyance, in fact I'd be livid! Why not give the dealer a chance to redeem themselves by lending you a car for the intervening period as you have already arranged to sell your existing car ;-)

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - veryoldbear

Third new Audi in seven years? Oh dear, you have been encouraging them ...

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - Collos25

Don't insult Aldi buy putting them in the same class as a German piece of tin.

Whats to worry about they would have lent you a car while the new one came its not the Garages fault that Audi provide the Chines market before the British any way you should get the new model.

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - RickyBoy

It's all been said before, many times, and often by me... wallet & feet! Walk away and ask for your money (deposit only hopefully) back, with interest if possible, but your T&Cs may state that you should have understood that you were more than likely to be 'dicked-about' when you place an order in all good faith!

Whimsical delays and complete indifference to the customer seems to be the order of the day now. The 'higher-end' dealers sneer down their long noses as though they're doing you a favour when you walk in with an enquiry.

The recession has been the game-changer if you fancy something slightly individual and more sophisticated than the run-of-the-mill motor. We (the individual punter) have very little negotiating power (deal-wise) these days as vehicles in that price range & marque are almost universally bespoke builds with a 12-16 week minimum build wait.

Although you appear to have 'indulged them' in the past I'd do as Teecee suggests – attempt to embarrass them through various 'media'. You probably won't but, as mentioned elsewhere, it might make you feel a tad better over the whole debacle?

There really does need to be a bit of a 'revolution' against these *******...

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - Engineer Andy

"The customer is always right" - IMHO Audi thinks its the other way around. They have some lovely looking/driving cars, but I wouldn't touvh them with a bargepole given the number of people I know who have been treated as mugs and with contempt, because (as has been said) there's a long line of mugs queueing up behind them to take their place. If large numbers of people started voting with their feet and stopped buying Audis, they'd soon get the message (or go bust).

Maybe they should take a leaf out of Skoda (after all, a sister company of Audi part of the VAG "family") who tends to get generally good reviews for their dealerships, probably because they've had to work hard to establish a good reputation, and the far estern makes where quality of customer service is much more highly valued. After all, being pleasant and respectful costs nothing and achieves a great deal - less expensive ad campaigns needed [word of mouth spreads the good word and creates a loyal following], less customer service staff needed to speak to customers with problems (less of them) = greater profits over the long term.

Simples!

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - RT

I didn't find Audi dealers much different to BMW ones - far too ready to pre-judge a "punter" and assume they're doing you a favour by putting their cars on sale not that Volvo dealers were far behind - I bought a Subaru in the end.

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - thunderbird

Some years ago I ordered a new Golf GTI late in September for 1st January delivery. Just after Christmas they rang to say the order had been cancelled by VW and if I wished I could re-order for April delivery but a price rise was due which would apply, I was not happy. Contacted Trading Standards who were useless (as normal) and the RAC said if the manufacturer had cancelled there was nothing to be done.

That night I bought a copy of the local evening newspaper to look what "bargains" were available (no internet back then) and guess what, my VW dealer had 2 Golf GTI's for immediate delivery that were cancelled orders, I was now even more angry.

Next day I went to the garage and before I said who I was asked about the 2 cars for immediate delivery and was taken and shown them. Neither was the colour I had ordered thus could not say one was mine but at that point I declared in a crowded showroom who I was and what my issues were. I was quickly ushered into the dealer principals office and we spent th next 3 hours negotiating.

The following Saturday I took delivery of a new Gold GTI at the price agreed in September with a very low rate of HP.

Just check what they have in stock, they may be trying to pull the same trick on you.

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - SteveLee

If a dealer sneers at me or treats me anything less than A1 - I'm out of there like a shot. Yes I am generally quite scruffy unless on business but that's no reason to assume I'm a tyre kicker especially as I do not talk or sound like a chav! A while back I had several Jags in a row and decided I wanted to buy something more sporty for a change. I was going to buy a new Subaru Legacy 3 litre, the local Subaru dealer looked down his nose and sneered for England, I went back to Jaguar and bought a one year old XJR for the same price - Jag dealers (several of) have always been brilliant to me. I visited the same Subaru dealer again in my shiny XJR (same scruffy me) and waited until the saleman was in earshot of his boss, the salesman looked gobsmacked as I pointed to the shiny XJR in the car park, "see that" I told him loudly, "that's the £30K you threw away due to being rather short with me - not good business".

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - barney100

Seems if their contract states a delivery date and thy can't get anywhere near it then I think you are entitled to your deposit back. I would state that in a letter to the dealer and get another manufacturers car. You must lose a bit in depreciation changing three times in 7 years though.

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - Buster Cambelt

In fairness Skoda is pretty much just as contemptuous as Audi, they even share the same centralised customer services teams. They get away with better customer feedback because (for the moment at least) they have customers who expect less. You only have to look at their fanboy forum to observe that there are folks out there who regard problems with cars as the norm and seem to like visiting their dealers!

The whole A5 thing is strange though. This is a nice looking car that drives like a barge. It's far too expensive and has a ghastly over-ornate interior (to my eyes). I know a dealer principla socially (poor soul) and he tells me that Audi has been leaning on dealers for most of the last quarter to register A5s, especially 2.0 diesels, as "management cars". Basically, unless you want a very specific spec or colour / trim combination there are dozens of cars out there in the Audi network.

In my experience Subaru and Honda still know the meaning of customer service, ironic really as they are brands where you are unlikley to need much in the way of customer service. Too many others are riding a wave of complacency.

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - Avant

"Just after Christmas they rang to say the order had been cancelled by VW."

Out of interest, Thunderbird, given that the delaer's job, and VW's, is to sell cars, what reason did they give for cancelling your order? It doesn't seem to make sense.

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - ohsoslow

Having quickly read the thread title I assumed this was a new Audi model, much like the Merc Elegance thingies. Very fitting I thought.

Leaving now.......

I like it!

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - akr
I am really not a fan of Audis as I think they all look the same but me and the wife did look at an A4 cab when she was replacing her Saab 93 cab. It was nice enough but I found it dreadfully dull and the dealer reckoned it was worth far more than I did. Most amazing though was his face when we got back off the test drive and I said no, it's boring and we're not having it. He was incredulous. How dare a customer come in and not buy an Audi?
The same thing happened when we looked at an A3 cab at a different dealer. We never even got to drive that cos once the dealer had unlocked it and I'd sat in it I said it was horribly cheap and nasty inside for the money they were asking so promptly left. Again, the dealer looked astonished which seems to emphasise the point that they'll treat people like dirt knowing full well there'll be a long line of mugs after them wanting to buy into this Audi thing. I certainly won't be doing.
And by the way, I lived in Germany when I was younger and did all my weekly shopping in Aldi. They were never anything but excellent in their customer service so please don't fall into the British snobbery thing of Aldi being cheap and service being rubbish. In Germany it's just a normal supermarket. It's only in this country where we're up our own backsides thinking we can't be seen in the likes of Aldi and Lidl.
A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - Collos25

Well said I use both Lidl and Aldi really good quality but you must admit her in Germany we are spoilt with the number of bakers and greengrocer shops its very bland in the UK and I agree about Audis they are just overpriced VWs .

Ooh, it's all gone Emperor's New Clothes !

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - barney100

Once went to dealers to buy a Fiat Panda....original one. Dealer would not tell me the price! Salesman said if they told me I would go elsewhere and try to get it cheaper. There is a strange logic to it but needless to say I did go elsewhere.

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - skidpan

Once went to dealers to buy a Fiat Panda....original one. Dealer would not tell me the price! Salesman said if they told me I would go elsewhere and try to get it cheaper. There is a strange logic to it but needless to say I did go elsewhere.

Had that with a Peugeot dealer in the late 80's. Would not tell me the cost until I had signed an order. Bought a VW.

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - thunderbird

"Just after Christmas they rang to say the order had been cancelled by VW."

Out of interest, Thunderbird, given that the delaer's job, and VW's, is to sell cars, what reason did they give for cancelling your order? It doesn't seem to make sense.

They gave no reason or apology. Don't know if I put it my first posting but they did comment that they were about ring to offer me a car before I called at the showroom, think that was just another lie on their part.

After this incident we got excellent service from that dealer and I and my father both bought further cars from them. They must have realised we stood for no s***e.

With regards to Skoda being better that certainly does not apply to our local dealer, three times we have visited the showroom when we have been buying and on each occation we have been treated like dirt. Honda, Ford and Kia have done nicely out of their appathy towards customers with real money to spend.

I thin sometimes the quality of the dealership does depend on two things (other than the manufacturer):-

1. The level of direct competition there is, both at local level and further afield. They're more likely to be arrogant if they know that they havea long line of mugs queuing up to take your place, whatever you say to friends/family;
  2. Whether the dealership is part of a multi-make franchise, and which make was the first to be part of it. I know of a local multi-make franchise who I believe is Honda-based (but has other Japanese and one French make as part of the group) which is generally well-regarded, but a larger multi-make franchise in a larger city (which has these makes and many German ones [not sure of the "origin" make of the group]) has a poor reputation, but has little competition (about 75% of the mainstream market locall I am led to believe).
A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - gordonbennet

To be honest i've never got the Audi thing, i like autos, proper ones that last for ever, something Audi can't manage, everyone i've known with an Audi auto has had problems involving 4 figure sums as far back as the 80's to put right.

Plus the A1 looks like a giant jelly. Quite possibly the most overpriced, overhyped hideous thing I've ever seen.

Would alk before having one of them.

Just my opinion!!!

That should say "would walk" by the way.

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - bobincharente

My wife and I went into the local AUDI dealer looking to buy a new A6. The 3 salemen were talked amogst themselves, they looked at us and ignored us. We looked round the models in the showroom for 10 mins, still being ignored so we left. We walked down to the Mercedes dealer down the road who could not be more helpful. We bought a Mercedes E class instead.

By the way this was in France, so no different here

Bob

Must be part of their "training" or even a character requirement for the position of saleman (no women need apply - arrogant a***holes only!).

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - RickyBoy

"Having quickly read the thread title I assumed this was a new Audi model."

Heh...

...and the injected performance variant would, of course, be called the Arrogant GiT!

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - bathtub tom

Do they have a Facebook page?

I was put onto this method of venting my spleen when I had a problem with a company.

I got an immediate reply!

A5 Cabriolet - Audi Arrogance - Andy P

It's stories like this that make me glad I never buy brand new cars - at least with a used one you know it's not going to take six months to deliver.