Ford focus - Buying from a Car Super Market - Tom slade
When buying from a car super market is it worth getting an independent aa or rac inspection done? Or Can you rely on the checks they claim to have done?
I'm am looking at an 08 focus diesel, 45k on the clock, also it's due for a service, should I be concerned?
Many thanks
Tom (first time car buyer)
Ford focus - Buying from a Car Super Market - oldtoffee

I wouldn't pay for an inspection as you have some protection buying from a dealer if anything goes wrong soon after buying it. You can't rely on their checks but if something fails that was suposed to have been checked you have recourse to getting it sorted. Best to take someone with you who knows about cars and will be able to spot anything obvious that would need attention - brakes, steering, sunspesion, engine management lights, gearbox noise, excessive smoking, poor power delivery. Goes without saying you must be allowed to take it for a proper test drive with no prior pressure to buy.

It should I think have had a service at four years old which will be a major service. If it hasn't then lower the price by a bit more than you were thinking of doing. They will tell you this has been factored into the price. Check if that's true with others of similar price.

10k miles a year for a diesel is pretty low so you might be wary of clogged diesel particulate filters. Ford independents can regenerate them for a fraction of the cost of a new one but still its money to be factored in to your budget.

Ford focus - Buying from a Car Super Market - MikeTorque

Agree with oldtoffee. I've purchased used Focus's which had had a RAC inspection but they missed things, the most obvious and concerning was there was so little engine oil in the sump there was no reading on the Dipstick, and that was just after it had been serviced and inspected.

I would add ensure it has a full service history & MOT, walk away if it hasn't. Ensure it has a HPI check and it's clear. Get them to service the car if it hasn't been done recently (if you intend to buy).

Ford focus - Buying from a Car Super Market - oldroverboy.

Do you REALLY need a diesel and all the aggravation that goes with buying a used 4 year old car out of manufacturers warranty. could be a problem. Factor in potential dpf, dmf and turbo problems and say to yourself .. Do I want this risk?

Personally, no, no, and NO!

Edited by oldroverboy. on 09/11/2012 at 17:15