Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - 72 dudes

Thought I’d share my experiences of the new Citroen DS5 following a 24 hour test drive. The model I had was the 2.0 HDi 160, which Citroen say will be the best selling engine. The trim was middle of the range DStyle, priced at £25,900.

First impressions were good, bold aggressive styling with some neat design features. The chrome “blade” which runs from the A pillar to the leading edge of the front wing looked particularly good on this car which was finished in black. The DS5 looks good from the rear too with a squat stance set off by the roof spoiler and what look like twin chrome exhaust pipes. In fact, one is a “dummy” to balance the look of the car.

Inside, things get better still: Dense, soft feel plastics and a build quality close to that of the German marques. A range of textures with chrome inserts on the steering wheel and a grey brushed metal effect on the console and dash create an expensive aura. The dash sweeps around the driver into the central console, where a large rotary knob, similar to BMW’s i-drive, controls everything from the (standard) SatNav, Bluetooth telephone, live traffic updates and the multi-media infotainment system. Now I usually like gadgets and the idea of getting to grips with new controls, but I have to admit, the DS5’s facia is quite daunting. Too many buttons, too many menus, and I found myself taking my eyes of the road just to perform a minor task. At night all the controls are backlit in red which contrasts well with the bright white of the speedometer. The interior lights are blue tinged LEDs and it all looks very cool and impressive. A different world to the blandness of the 3 series.

The seats were excellent, supportive, very comfortable and beautifully upholstered in a half leather, half alcantara type material. I would have liked to have been able to tilt the front of the seat base upwards a little, but a good driving position was easy to find, even if some may find the seat a little high even in its lowest position.

This model came with a panoramic roof with no less than 3 electrically operated sunblinds (one for rear passengers, one each for the driver and front passenger. On the headlining, the space between the two glass roofs is separated by an overhead console which houses the controls for the sunblinds, interior lights and two “call” buttons, one for SOS emergencies and one for breakdown assistance. The former automatically alerts a call centre in Luxemburg with the exact location of the car using GPS, who then contact the emergency services.

The SatNav was one of the worst I have come across for ease of use. It has no full postcode search, so addresses have to be dialled in using the rotary control, first the town, then the street, then the number. All very clunky – so much so, that I ended up plugging in my Tomtom and using that instead. One very good feature was the reversing camera, augmenting the rear parking sensors – a good thing as visibility through the tiny rear window is terrible, and the screen looks about 50 yards away in the rear view mirror.

So how does it drive? The first thing I noticed after firing the engine up using the keyless entry start button was just how muted this engine is, both at idle and when extended. Refinement generally is very good, with little wind noise and acceptable road noise, despite the 18” alloys and 45 series tyres. The HDi 160 has plenty of low down torque available, so the car responds eagerly to even a gentle prod of the right foot. The gearbox was not the most precise, suffering from a rather long throw, but the clutch was fairly light and allowed smooth progress through the gears. The gearing is high, even for a diesel, although this promotes a more relaxed driving style, and in fact I found the car deceptively quick when pressing on. My average fuel consumption for the day was 42 MPG, some way short of the 55 MPG combined figure, but there was quite a lot of stop/start city driving, and the engine had only done 2000 miles, so I would expect a figure in the high 40’s realistically. The steering lacked feel for me, contributing to a somewhat remote feeling, so you’re not going to relish attacking twisty bits on A and B roads in this car.

All of which brings me to the DS5’s worst point: Ride quality.

Anybody expecting Citroen’s usual magic carpet ride will be very disappointed. The suspension crashes into potholes, jiggles over coa*** surfaces and when transverse ridges are encountered on motorways or dual carriageways, a sharp shock and judder is felt. Without doubt the 18” wheels and 45 series rubber do not help, but quite simply, in my opinion, Citroen have tuned the suspension all wrong. In wanting to attract drivers out of their BMWs and Audis, Citroen have missed the mark in trying to deliver an engaging drive, and created a car which is neither sporty to drive nor rides as well as these Germans.

This is a shame, because with some tweaks to the suspension to make it ride better, Citroen could have a great car on their hands, and I believe the majority of owners would forego sharp handling for the exciting design and interior of the car, if only it was comfortable over the bumps.

As it stands, however, the DS5 is “neither Nowt nor Summit” as we say in Yorkshire. Time will tell how good the residual values of the DS5 will be. Citroen will no doubt be hoping that its exclusivity will protect these; certainly they have managed this with the DS3, whose used values seem to be holding up remarkably well.

Citroën DS5 - My Road Test Report - BigJohnD

That's the SatNav that's across all models, and owners of C4s, C5s, C6s, &c all have the same complaint as you. Some say it's because PSA won't pay Royal Mail for the postcode database - how true that is I don't know, but most European postcodes are 5 digits; the UK's are 7. However, once the destination has been entered, the chosen route is good - the display in a C6 is first class.

As for the suspension, I've not been in a DS5 yet, but it really should be the traditional Citroën armchair comfort. As you say, oversize wheels and 45 profile tyres don't help, but that's no excuse. Sad really, especially as the DS3, the chic car of choice, is a real star, showing Citroën can actually produce a class winner.

Citroën DS5 - My Road Test Report - SteveLee

I've driven a DS5 - I concur, the ride is awful. What's the point of a big Citroën with a crashy ride?

Citroën DS5 - My Road Test Report - 72 dudes

I've driven a DS5 - I concur, the ride is awful. What's the point of a big Citroën with a crashy ride?

Exactly SL.

I've revived this post because I have been looking out for DS5s on the road since my road test.

And I've seen exactly ZERO.

Can anybody beat this??

Citroën DS5 - My Road Test Report - Happy Blue!

Well I have seen several although not had the chance to speak to any drivers yet. They look fantastic, but the news about the ride puts me off.

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - Avant

That really is crass of Citroen, isn't it. Their USP, ever since the days of the original DS 19, was the magic carpet ride, and people bought them who specifically didn't want the firmer ride of a German wagen.

They need to go back to the soft ride for the DS range, ditch the C range and leave the coventional cars to Peugeot.

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - SteveLee

If the DS5 rode nicely, I would buy one - absolutely no question. I'm very disappointed with Citroën. Why don't they fit their hydromatic suspension system to a soft-roader car? Surely it's the perfect fit?

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - NewDS
I don't usually join these forums but felt I should stand up for my car.
Yes, I am the owner of a DS5 DSport Hybrid4 (I think around 260 have been regsitered so far) and I can't believe the comments about the ride quality from anyone who has tested it, this model in particular.
I road tested the diesel as well as this which does not have exactly the same suspension and found you did feel the potholes but no worse than any other similar car however in the hybrid I hardly notice any bumps at all.
It's by far the quiestest, smoothest riding car I've ever been in (not just driven) though in the past I did tend to buy sports coupes which obviously do have a rougher ride and have owned some 4wds.
I actually bought the car I demo-ed and have owned it for about 7 weeks now, it really is a superb car to drive particularly in sport mode. My only gripes are that there's a fair bit of reflection in the windcsreen on sunny days (if we ever get them again) from the dash and the very small lever for changing automatic modes means I often accidentally put it into manual mode rather than automatic (from neutral) without knowing it but then this is my first automatic so it could just be me. But I think the ride is excellent and I'm shocked by the reviewers saying it's not, most of which I'd read before I tested it.
I don't usually join these forums but felt I should stand up for my car. Yes, I am the owner of a DS5 DSport Hybrid4 (I think around 260 have been regsitered so far) and I can't believe the comments about the ride quality from anyone who has tested it, this model in particular. I road tested the diesel as well as this which does not have exactly the same suspension and found you did feel the potholes but no worse than any other similar car however in the hybrid I hardly notice any bumps at all. It's by far the quiestest, smoothest riding car I've ever been in (not just driven) though in the past I did tend to buy sports coupes which obviously do have a rougher ride and have owned some 4wds. I actually bought the car I demo-ed and have owned it for about 7 weeks now, it really is a superb car to drive particularly in sport mode. My only gripes are that there's a fair bit of reflection in the windcsreen on sunny days (if we ever get them again) from the dash and the very small lever for changing automatic modes means I often accidentally put it into manual mode rather than automatic (from neutral) without knowing it but then this is my first automatic so it could just be me. But I think the ride is excellent and I'm shocked by the reviewers saying it's not, most of which I'd read before I tested it.

What car(s) did you used to drive? If you think the DS5 rides well then you must be used to German rubbish. The DS5 is not in the same league as the (in reverse order of acceptability) C5mk1, C5mk2, BX, Xantia, C6, XM, CX, DS - It's another lousy boneshaker and you do not know what you are talking about. We don't want cars that ride like "similar cars" we want proper Citroëns. Does it matter how well they sell? Peugeots should be the cannon-fodder fleet sales, Citroëns use 90% of the PSA platform(s) to keep costs down, just fit them with their magic Oleomatic suspension and leave "the ordinary" to Peugeot. BMW buyers are not going to buy Citroëns, Mercedes buyers are not going to buy Citroëns, Audi buyers are not going to buy Citroëns, VW buyers are not going to buy Citroëns - why marginalise core Citroën customers in a bid to tempt the kind of people who would never drive with two chevrons on their bonnet?

The people responsible for marketing strategy within PSA should be sacked, Citroën are marketed as the budget option, C1, C2, C3 ,C4 and as a premium brand DS3, DS5 (with more DS's to follow) with Peugeot stuck somewhere in the middle but sporting a high-end super car!. What's going on? There has never been a more confusing brand placement. Just make Citroëns comforable - comfortable sod everything else and Peugeot the bread-and-butter brand. The bourgeois are not going to buy Citroëns over other trendier products. Sort it you knobs.

Glad you like your DS5 Hybrid, you have a unique car.

As I think I said in the summary, Citroen would have a winner if the diesel model (which the majoroty of customers will buy) rode like a proper Citroen.

Does the Hybrid have hydropneumatic suspension or smaller wheels? If not I can't see how the Hybrid would be much different?

No it hasn't got that suspension what it has got over the standard is is the following (which I'm quoting):
"A sophisticated multi-link rear suspension is used which actually improves the ride quality over the standard models"
I have the 19" wheels which also must degrade the ride quality and the diesel I tested had the 18" wheels which should have improved it.
I personally don't think the ride quality is massively different to the standard diesel, having said that though my wife (who has also driven both) said she noticed more of a difference and thinks the hybrid is significantly softer.
Putting the ride quality into context though, it's poor in comparison to what? This car is designed as a luxury sports hatch\coupe but what other sports coupe's or hatches have a softer ride, all the ones I've been in are much harsher in comparison.
I do agree that you definitely notice the bash of potholes (though it doesn't effect car control like some have said) but ordinary rough surfaces are almost unnoticable and you don't get much bad road noise on poorer road surfaces, it's a very quiet cabin for this class of car.
I should point out that the only other Citroen I've owned\driven is a diesel C2 so I can't compare the DS5 to the "armchair comfort of old", I have been a passenger in one of the old ones though and I guess that nothing is going to ever come close to that unless it does use that same suspension. What I will say is that I think the ride quality matches or beats that of the popular German equivalents as does the quiet and luxurious cabin and most of those German ones cost a lot more.
Obviously these are my views only, based on my 2 months of hybrid ownership and 1 diesel model road test of around 1 hour.

Essentually what you're saying is the DS5 rides like a normal modern car - i.e. not very well. Which is what us old (proper) Citroën fans are bemoaning the loss of. The last bastions of good ride quality (Jaguar) are now making cars which are set up German-hard to keep the idiot young-turk road-testers happy.

My point is that it actually doesn't ride as well as a normal modern car.

On the one hand it is firm to the point of harshness, on the other it does not have the steering feel or cornering ability of the Germans.

I do agree with newDS that it is very quiet and luxurious inside - all the more reason to make it ride like an old school Citroen.

I've driven a new C5 saloon (VTR+, non hydropnuematic) and that had a lovely combination of ride comfort and OK handling.

After the 24 hours in the DS5 I got back into my own 5 year old Volvo S40 2.0D - yes there was more engine and road noise, but no jiggling or harshness on the same roads. A model not especially known for its great ride.

Edited by 72 dudes on 03/12/2012 at 20:29

Yes, my impression of the DS5 is it's b***** awful. But some people find that to be acceptable! Some BMW models are unbearable but then still sell like hot cakes - stick a BMW badge on a turd and it'll still sell well. The Rover 75 was beautifully supple over bumps, but it didn't set the world alight round a race track (despite actually handling tidily) so the journos slated it and nobody bought it. If people actually tested cars themselves and bought what they need (and want) over marketing/image b******s cars would be much more comfortable.

As I stated in my 1st comment, I don't normally join these forums and comments like those (from Steve Lee) are the reason why. I don't understand why some people dislike something like a car so much, I can't work up that much hate for anything let alone a car. It's all just opinion, no-one is right or wrong.

Everybody has different taste and I prefer cars with a sporty side to them which often means a stiffer suspension but usually good to drive. I haven't owned Citroens all my life like some seem to have, I've owned a variety of makes (none German) including 1 other Citroen (C2) and driven lots of different makes (including German ones) .

I also only ever buy cars I want, not cars that someone else like yourself or the marketing guys want me to buy, but you can only go buy what you see, read and then try for yourself.

I stand by my comment that the DS5 I own is the most comfortable car that I have driven (that's just me not everybody) and I believe that it is better than most current cars in it's class. I personally don't know of one in the class that beats it's comfort and quality though I haven't tried them all. This brings me to the comment about "people finding current cars to be acceptable", surely they are the only cars we can buy now or else they wouldn't be "current cars" so what on earth is the alternative? They are certainly all I can realistically compare it to.

I had a friend with a Rover 75 who loved it, I was in it a few times and I personally never really liked it as a passenger, I rolled and bounced around in it. I remember distinctly on one occasion wondering if it would pull out into a roundabout before we were sideswiped by a bus, though that may have been down to the driver. If you think that was a better car than the DS5 then I personally don't get it, to me you have rose-tinted glasses looking into the past.

Fair comment from 72 dudes if that's how you feel about those 2 older cars, though I obviously don't see it myself. I'd be interested to see if anyone else tested the hybrid as well as the diesel to see if they think the suspension changes does make a difference.

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - daveyK_UK

Is`the rear leg room in the D5 as bad as the C5?

I did sit in the back briefly and to be honest it seemed OK to me.

Can't remember what the C5 saloon is like in the rear, but better than my S40!

By the way I saw my first DS5 on the road today, a silver one pulling in to a BP station, couldn't tell what model it was.

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - daveyK_UK

The c5 is probably the worst big saloon for rear leg room, the new 508 is equally as bad or possibly slighty better.

Are the c5 and 508 essentially the same car?

Are the c5 and 508 essentially the same car?

Well, they share the same platform and most engines.

The C5 rides well, while the mags say the 508 doesn't but I'll reserve judgement until I've been in my sister's 508 SW.

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - Chipps

As I stated in my 1st comment, I don't normally join these forums and comments like those (from Steve Lee) are the reason why. I don't understand why some people dislike something like a car so much, I can't work up that much hate for anything let alone a car. It's all just opinion, no-one is right or wrong.

Everybody has different taste and I prefer cars with a sporty side to them which often means a stiffer suspension but usually good to drive. I haven't owned Citroens all my life like some seem to have, I've owned a variety of makes (none German) including 1 other Citroen (C2) and driven lots of different makes (including German ones) .

I also only ever buy cars I want, not cars that someone else like yourself or the marketing guys want me to buy, but you can only go buy what you see, read and then try for yourself.

I stand by my comment that the DS5 I own is the most comfortable car that I have driven (that's just me not everybody) and I believe that it is better than most current cars in it's class. I personally don't know of one in the class that beats it's comfort and quality though I haven't tried them all. This brings me to the comment about "people finding current cars to be acceptable", surely they are the only cars we can buy now or else they wouldn't be "current cars" so what on earth is the alternative? They are certainly all I can realistically compare it to.

I had a friend with a Rover 75 who loved it, I was in it a few times and I personally never really liked it as a passenger, I rolled and bounced around in it. I remember distinctly on one occasion wondering if it would pull out into a roundabout before we were sideswiped by a bus, though that may have been down to the driver. If you think that was a better car than the DS5 then I personally don't get it, to me you have rose-tinted glasses looking into the past.

Fair comment from 72 dudes if that's how you feel about those 2 older cars, though I obviously don't see it myself. I'd be interested to see if anyone else tested the hybrid as well as the diesel to see if they think the suspension changes does make a difference.

How do you find the ESG gearbox; so many reviews have criticised it. When I drove it it was no where near as smooth as my Lexus, but not so terrible that it was a deal breaker.

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - Ed V

Your views on BMWs, and others, seem illogical and founded on a sort of badge-rage!

Presumably, there's a reason a BMW badge helps the firm to sell cars? Maybe their reputation is to provide what many drivers want rather better than most of their competitors. Perhaps, as you say, Citroen should do the same. It's a simple but effective strategy.

And please, stop using lavatory language on here; it doesn't become you nor the site.

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - jandnrowe
Can I ask the obvious?
Have you driven one or just read press reports?
One report evev got the average score wrong and despite being pointed out to them it's still there.
Like a couple of other contributors here I'm a happy owner of a DS5 Hybrid4 and it's behaved fault free since purchase about 9 months ago.
Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - TeeCee

Does the Hybrid have hydropneumatic suspension or smaller wheels? If not I can't see how the Hybrid would be much different?

According to the Telegraph test, the hybrid variant has the same ride as the diesel and is also gifted with a monumentally dreadful transmission.

They reckoned it was a shocking car and the diesel, though still poor, was an order of magnitude better.

Perhaps an anger management course.................

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - Chipps

I have recently ordered a DS5 Sport Hybrid, and have test driven the larger diesel. I didn't find the ride quality that bad, but did notice that it wasn't of course cushion soft! I currently drive a Lexus IS250, and the ride on that is relatively firm (so much so that when I got it 6 years ago I did think I made a mistake), but it is a bit softer now after changing tyres to Michellins. (Having recently had a complimentary IS250 on the original Dunlops, it is amazing how the tyres do make a difference). The DS5 has all the equipment my Lexus has plus more, but clearly the engine and particularly the gearbox is not as refined. But I chose the Hybrid mainly for car reasons: because the suspension was supposed to be better and it would be a little more powerful, it has 4 wheel drive capability without paying for real off road capability which I would never use (do you really need hill descent?) and because the car looked like it should all be about cutting edge technology (please no arguments about hybrids, you have to deal with the best tech available). Financially, there might not be much difference between the Hybrid and the conventional diesel, if you keep it for 5 years, the savings in fuel and tax might get close to covering the difference in loss of value. There is always the danger the hybrid technology might be a problem and devalue the car though. Finally, the Hybrid ticks the green box!

I am grateful to NewDS for his? comments, as there are so few reviews by people who have actually bought one. This will be my first Citroen, but 3 of the 5 new cars I have had have been Renault. I think there is nothing else like the DS5 around. I have had Lagunas Mk1 and 2 (V6 3.0 versions) and loved them both, and really wanted a new Laguna. But the Mk3 was just pug ugly and not an advance on Mk2, and had nothing special about it. And then Renault withdrew it from the UK. As I wanted a hatchback, the only real competition was the Vauxhall Insignia, Mondeo, the Mazda 6 (my sister has one but the model is now being replaced without a hatchback), and Skoda Octavia or Superb. I think the DS5 is miles ahead of any of these in styling, and is stunning. A Range Rover Evoque is nice, but again has a capability I would never use and is a lot more expensive when you spec it up, plus Land Rover is not that reliable.

When I get the car in March I will answer any questions anyone has.

Citroen DS5 - Hybrid - MPG - Warpfactor7

I purchased my DS5 Hybrid just before Christmas and have now covered 2.5k miles since purchase. I am not running the air-con or any other extras thay "may" reduce or impare fiel economy. I have not yet seen the 70MPG claimed (in print) within the brochure. I brake gently, accellerate gently and on almost all occasions I keep to the speed limit. I have not even seen even 60MPG.

I sold my Jaguar XF S Portfolio to gain this beast. My wife was not happy the day it arrived and told me that if that's what you want - ok - but it's not a Jag. This was the 278 BHP model and could easily get 42MPG on a decent run. Jaguar had previously heavily target marketed me to have the new (face-lift) XF with the 2.2 diesel engine. This will return 54MPG on a run.

I have driven on urban roads, main A roads and motorways during the past 2.5k running period.

I paid a premium to have the Hybrid and hoped that the diesel/battery combination would give me the much needed economy I was seeking. Money is tight and driving some 24k miles per year should have provided me with a considerable fuel saving. I don't think it will. My company would be gaining and so would I when travelling private mileages.

Does anyone have a similar experience. I had considered writing to the CEO of Citroen !

Citroen DS5 - Hybrid - MPG - unthrottled

Money is tight and driving some 24k miles per year should have provided me with a considerable fuel saving.

If you can't afford fuel, how can you afford a new car?! Hybrid is at it's best with petrol and around town. There's a reason no one else bothered hybridising a diesel-and it wasn't that they hadn't thought of it.On the motorway, the hybrid is just dead weight.

On the plus side, 54mpg isn't shabby for a fairly big car in winter. You've got a crude 4 wheel drive system to boot-which is handy in the snow. As things bed in and the weather warms up, you should be seeing nearly 60mpg-which isn't that awful, is it?

Citroen DS5 - Hybrid - MPG - Avant

I used to wonder why there weren't more diesel hybrids around: I think it was you, Unthrottled, who gave good reasons on here why there is little benefit from them and that economy is as good with a straight diesel.

I would be put off big French cars anyway by their horrendous depreciation, although rarity may help the DS5 Hybrid to hold up a little better. I fear Mrs Warpfactor may be right! Did you test drive an XF 2.2, Warpfactor, and still prefer the DS5? I haven't tried either so would be interested to know.

Citroen DS5 - Hybrid - MPG - madf

Given the inability of the French to produce reliable car electronics, I will never buy a French hybrid car until it is proven to work reliably.

As Peugeot cannot even get the 208's elctronics right.. tinyurl.com/a7z8l83

there is little hope for a hybrid..

Edited by madf on 06/02/2013 at 12:54

Citroen DS5 - Hybrid - MPG - countryroads

Sounds about right....I wouldnt buy one with someone elses money!

I wouldnt want to chuck away the enormous amount of money on a DS5 in depreciation either frankly, unless they are offering a cast iron PCP with an optimistic GFV its got be an expensive car to run for a few years.

I would have gone for a low mileage C6 HDi to be a bit different and even those dont ride properly but saving at least £10k is a bonus!

A friend has a Prius as a company car. He looked at the Citroen hybrid but after a back to back test drive he said the Prius was light years ahead. The Citroen saleman agreed...

The Citroen hybrid performed very badly in journalist road tests, the ECU getting its knickers twisted several times. Switch off and on job.

Edited by madf on 06/02/2013 at 14:50

Citroen DS5 - Hybrid - MPG - Ethan Edwards

With the deepest respect...£26K for a Citroen? Are you utterly mad! French cars traditionally have EPIC depreciation. Let's hope (for your sake) the Ds5 is different. Stick to my Toyota hybrid thanks,

I remember the C6 which has a lovely ride... A quick perusal of the Owners Club persuaded me never to buy one.. Epic depreciation on those.

Just imagine any Citroen dealer trying to solve an electrical fault on a hybrid....

Citroen DS5 - Hybrid - MPG - Piowolf

I would have gone for a low mileage C6 HDi to be a bit different and even those dont ride properly but saving at least £10k is a bonus!

C6 dont ride properly ?

Citroen DS5 - Hybrid - MPG - mel789

I agree with the comment about the fuel consumption of the Hybrid4 DS5. The most I have managed is 47mpg and that is way below Citroen's official figures. Truth is if Citroen were to admit their figures were widely inaccurate, nobody would even think about spending several thousand more for the hybrid. Frankly, I wish I'd saved my money and purchased the standard 2.0L diesel. A great pity, because everything else about the car is absolutely first class. As for HJ's comments about ride quality, I have never driven the non-hybrid version, so obviously the Hybrid suspension setup must give the car a less firm ride. I note in his video review of the Peugeot Hybrid he had nothing but praise for the vehicle, and (as I understand it) the Citroen DS5 Hybrid is basically exactly the same car, albeit with a different bodyshell and trim, So, surely it stands to reason that if there was nothing untoward about the ride quality of the Peugeot Hybrid, there can be nothing wrong with Citroen Hybrid either.

Edited by mel789 on 12/02/2013 at 20:36

Citroen DS5 - Hybrid - MPG - unthrottled

I think most cars with big MPG claims fall short in the 'real world'. It isn't just citroen. Fiat's Twinair and their 1.3 diesel spring to mind.

The good news is that the flaws in the NEDC have (belatedly) been recognised by the EU and the cycle is due to be replaced by a more aggresive-ie realistic-one.

Quite how we're expected to compare Euro V and Euro VI models tested on different cycles remains to be seen.

Citroen DS5 - Hybrid - MPG - mel789

On the subject of Citroen reliability. I have owned a DS3 for the last 3 years and never had a thing go wrong. During the same period my partner has owned a Jaguar XF, a new XJ and a BMW 3 series, all of which have been plagued with problems. I accept French cars have had major issues in the past, but going on my own experience, that no longer seems to be the case.

Citroen DS5 - Hybrid - MPG - drd63
My DS5 is delivered on Friday. I've gone for the 160 diesel and despite doing high mainly mway mileage will be happy with mid/high 40's mpg.
I test drove before buying and thought the ride was good, I drive a Kuga at the moment which has very good ride so if the ds was that bad would have noticed. Some reviewers have suggested the very good seats in the ds disguise the ride. Seats or not it felt pretty good.
Anyway the real reason for buying is that the interior is gorgeous, the outside is refreshingly different and interesting.
I know depreciation will be bad but if I went the BMW Audi route I'd be paying over £30k for similar spec and overall level of blandness which seems to get worse with each new generation of model. I want cars to interest me.
Will let you know how things go.
Citroen DS5 - Hybrid - MPG - Alf_Hooker

MPG sounds quite Ok for such a car.

Citroen missed a trick by not fitting the Hydropneaumatic suspension though, they do fit it to high Spec C5s, whereas lower spec variants are coil sprung so it should be on their agenda.

If you live in Sheffield, you really would need it as the roads here are total b0ll0x

Citroen DS5 - drd63

Hmm, not off to a great start.

The dealer has managed not to get the car ready for today and it's missed the transport so I'm having to wait until the next week.

Should I have bought locally - probably not, I can wait a few days for the benefits looking around has bought.

Citroen DS5 - drd63

DS delivered today and looking resplendent in white despite the oil from leaky hydraulics on the transporter.

Only 60 miles done so far but on familiar roads and the ride is fine, firm and flat and I guess if you like and are used to a soft and bouncy traditional french car ride you might not like it.

Let's not give Citroen too hard a time though, their big cars weren't selling so why not try something different.

It is beautiful though, the leather is soft, metals feel good and the lighting is lovely and it all feels well screwed together - however I do feel that in 100k miles time (thats how long I plan to keep it) it's not going to feel as good as my Kuga did.

More to follow.

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - Smileyman

I lament the demise of the opening sunroof.

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - Alf_Hooker

Me too,

I found it particularly impressive to be able to impersonate Adolf hitler.

Although I think the latest French turd twister president was trynig to do something similar in a DS5

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - madf

My Yaris has one.

My 1946 Rover 16 had one.

Nothing changes.

"Reports of its demise are greatly exaggerated"

to paraphrase Mark Twain.....

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - purebob

I have ordered a DS5 Dsport Hybrid as a replacement for my BMW520D Touring SE Business Edition company car. It will arrive July 1st.

I had a DS5 HS on a week long test drive, and tried it in all kinds of situations.

Having owned a Honds Integra type R which defines "firm ride" I feel qualified to state that the DS5 Hybrid's ride is not "hard" pe se, but that its general firmness is out of character with the relaxed nature of the rest of the car.

The ride generally well damped, but is harsh over potholes and large ridges. However in 80% of use it is absolutely acceptable and on smooth-ish trmac the ride is as comfortable as my BMW.

I agree with the first reviewer that this is an opportunity missed, as the DS5 has a sporty ride, but cruiser steering.

After a week and a thousand miles' test though I can say that the DS5 is an engaging and interesting car. It *is* genuinely comfortable, and on 18 inch wheels, there is enough rubber to feed liitle crashines back to the driver, and the seats are extremely supportive, but insulating. The interior is a fine place to sit, with the quality being not far behind my BMW, but in styling and "presence" terms it KILLS it. There is an intimidating amount of kit, but after a couple of days everything became instinctive.

It is very poor that the SatNav only allows for European 5-digit postcodes , but once you do input an address it is reasonably accurate. It was worth spending 20 minutes with the manual so as to work out the various display options to make it suit properly.

My BMW Business Sat Nav is not really better than the DS5s, but has the amazingly useful asset of being able to find an address on my smartphone or computer then automaticall load it as a destination on the SatNav remotely. I will seriously miss this wonderful capability.

The DS5 cabin is not as spacious as you would hope for an exec-sized car but its better than an A4. I tried a Prius and while the transmission was smoother and the switch between electric and conventual drive was more seamless, the Prius is as dreary inside as any car on warth and is wholly gutless, producing nowhere near the DS5's 200 horses, and only half its torque.

Interesting though the DS5 is ( and a wonderful distraction from the grey and silver hoardes of BMWs Audis and Mercs) the main reason I chose this car is the fact I will pay tax on only 10% of the car's book value next year, rising 1% every year thereafter. It means I will save £200 a month over my BMW.

I hope it will be a good companion for four years as a company car. I wouldn't dream of buying one as a priviate buyer but I am quit elookig forward to its arrival now !

* edit ; a sunroof message: My BMW has the panoramic sunroof options. this is surely the best sunroof in any car ever ! It runs almost the elgth of the whole estate cabin, is silent, and tilts, opens a third, or opens a half depending upon settings. It adds lovely airines to the otherwise drab five series cabin.

The DS5 sunroof seems a bit pointless to me. The airness is nice but it does seem complex to have three separate roofs with electric blinds on them when most owbers would surely prefer an opening one. Ah well.

Edited by purebob on 30/03/2013 at 07:11

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - drd63

I'm now nearly a month and over 3,000 miles ownership of my DS and loving it, not since having one of the first S2000's has any car I've owned generated anything like the amount of interest I get in this car - that's partly because it's so rare, a shame after over a year of sales - but primarily because it is different inside and out.

I sympathise with purebobs loss of satnav functionality and if it could link to a mobile, especially an Android with Google Maps which seems much better than most factory or aftermarket systems. I can't be too hard though as the traffic update and diversion feature saved me from a large delay recently.

I do agree with some others that the ride is hard on poor surfaces but on well surfaced roads the body control feels really good, mid corner undulations are nicely absrobed and that firm rides cuts out roll or wallow. Purely for the sake of research and on some lovely quiet Scottish roads I thought the steering gave good if not outstanding feedback, ceratinly good enough to place the car quickly and confidently.

On the same trip to Scotland, 450 miles each way the seats proved to be really caressing and my wife has voted the DS the most comfortable car we've owned - 450 miles each way - it's quiet too.

Going back to how different it is we were staying at a very large hotel with valet parking - when I went to reclaim the DS the concierge said he remembered the DS as it was really unusual and when delivering back was very chatty, not an experience I've had with more mainstream models.

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - StokieBob

I recently took delivery of a DS5 hybrid DSport and it is visually stunning in black on 19" black alloys and Alezan club leather interior. Good job really as after driving 8 miles all I could do was look at it out of the office window as it had broken down due to an engine fault! Off it went on the back of an AA truck and spent the next 3 weeks in the dealership as various fixes were tried and Citroen UK experts got involved. Finally it was returned to me and now appears to be fine. I hope everything is now ok as I really like this car. It is a breath of fresh air after running the usual BMW 5 series / Audi A6 in the past. I have received more comments in the 2 weeks I have had the car on the road than in the previous 10 years, everybody loves it and can't quite believe it is a Citroen. The interior is a fantastic place to be and feels far superior and infinitely less boring to the German marques mentioned before. The ride is firm but again no worse than Msport or S Line products. Fingers crossed the gremlins are now behind me!!

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - RicardoB

Truly great looking car, in the spirit of Citroens past - individual and all that.

It seems a shame that from most of the reports and tests I've seen, it is spoilt by ridiculously firm suspension, totally against what you would hope and expect from a big Citroen.

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - Sofa Spud

QUOTE:.."" If you think the DS5 rides well then you must be used to German rubbish. ""

At least with German cars you can put the thought of breaking down, roadside recovery and then expensive repairs, to the back of your mind for most of the time !

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - Alf_Hooker
German cars pound for pound are as much trouble, if not more than any others...

Dear friend of mine got a New A6 and within days, It had lost all the electrics, no instruments, no signs of life. Spent 8 weeks at the dealer waiting for parts

Then the DPF played up incessantly

Right pieceof sheissen

At least with German cars you can put the thought of breaking down, roadside recovery and then expensive repairs, to the back of your mind for most of the time !

I think you're confusing "German" with "Japanese" - German cars aren't particularly reliable these days - in the case of certain Mercedes and VAG models - they are awful.

The surveys that I've seen show fairly marginal differences between makes / models. I suspect it's more often down to luck, maintenance and a decent garage / mechanic.

The days of Austin versus Mercedes in the 1960s are surely over!

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - Avant

In 1969 I sold my first car, a much-loved 1955 Austin Cambridge, to friends for whom it was to be a second car to a newish Mercedes.

They regularly used the Austin, which continued to start first time every time, to tow the German taxi to a nearby hill where it could be started.

It was in the 1970s when Austin, along with the rest of BL, went downhill - and Fords becane easier to start.

and Fords becane easier to start.

Ah yes. Mechanical fuel pump with no priming lever, laughably dreadful carburation and that famously unreliable Ford autochoke. You'd almost think they'd been designed not to start.

There was a reason why Ford went headlong into electronic fuel injection across their entire engine range as soon as it became practicable; They were utterly useless at conventional fuel delivery systems.

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - madf

The surveys that I've seen show fairly marginal differences between makes / models. I suspect it's more often down to luck, maintenance and a decent garage / mechanic.

The days of Austin versus Mercedes in the 1960s are surely over!

Hmm

Try reading drivers' experiences with Peugeot and with Toyota over a period of years.. There is a notable and significant difference.

And on this bb there's the story of someone with a Citroen C5 with fluid suspension. The car is not 5 years old, the suspension has broken, and no parts are available.. and no date for then they will be.

I stand corrected!

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - jandnrowe

Yes, look at this from Warranty Direct on reliability:

States of Repair – Japanese and French brands top international league table of car reliability

Posted: 16/07/2014

www.reliabilityindex.com/news/52/States%20of%20Rep...y

Yes, the suspension is firm but most owners like me love the car and the faster you go the better the ride/handling seems to get.

Could the declining sales of big Citroens be down to that soft suspension? I get a bit tired of some professional reviewers throwing their toys out of the pram and slating the car because it doesn't meet with their preconceived ideas of what the car should be like regardless of how good it actually is.

Anyway, now covered nearly 7,000 miles in mine and still love driving it and the attention it gets when parked or sat in traffic.

It's not perfect, some of the controls could be more intuitive and the air con makes some odd noises, I can live with that..

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - purebob

I think rather than " Hard" the ride on the DS5 is "crashy". It is as though the damping is not properly adjusted, not that the shocks are too hard per se. In general driving the ride is fine, but potholes really thump through the car.

My new one arrives on July 1st, I'm still looking forward to it though I'll miss the space of my current 5 series touring.

I think rather than " Hard" the ride on the DS5 is "crashy". It is as though the damping is not properly adjusted, not that the shocks are too hard per se. In general driving the ride is fine, but potholes really thump through the car.

My new one arrives on July 1st, I'm still looking forward to it though I'll miss the space of my current 5 series touring.

Agreed. As I said in my original post last year, the ride is not firm like in a german car, not does it handle especially well, just jittery and yes, crashy. Otherwise a great car, and I'm sure you will adapt to the suspension.

spent the next 3 weeks in the dealership as various fixes were tried and Citroen UK experts got involved.

Sounds like it is indeed a "real Citroen" in some regards....

Loving my DS, over 10k miles in 4 months, no problems, no trips to dealer, in fact everyone loves it! 900 mile round trip this weekend, drivers and passengers all very comfortable. 86mph and 40.3mpg average. I really get fed up with the 'oh how could Citroen ditch the magic carpet ride' brigade - well nobody bought those anymore, granted not many people buy the DS5 but it is a stunning piece of contemporary design and while other cars may do other things better I really don't care, it's style and design that drew me to the DS. Incidentally I went for white paint with off white leather leading to my wife nicknaming the DS Britney after Britney Spears (white trash), she was no Citroen fan needless to say but has taken that all back - we still call the DS Britney though!

Loving my DS, over 10k miles in 4 months, no problems, no trips to dealer, in fact everyone loves it! 900 mile round trip this weekend, drivers and passengers all very comfortable. 86mph and 40.3mpg average. I really get fed up with the 'oh how could Citroen ditch the magic carpet ride' brigade - well nobody bought those anymore, granted not many people buy the DS5 but it is a stunning piece of contemporary design and while other cars may do other things better I really don't care, it's style and design that drew me to the DS. Incidentally I went for white paint with off white leather leading to my wife nicknaming the DS Britney after Britney Spears (white trash), she was no Citroen fan needless to say but has taken that all back - we still call the DS Britney though!

Glad you're loving your DS5. Although I am a member of the "brigade" you are fed up with, I agree that in terms of style and design, the car is stunning.

How did you manage to average 86MPH on your trip?

Citroen DS5 - My Road Test Report - unthrottled

That was the highest speed that was observed. Subconsciously, the largest morphs into the 'average'. That's how people claim to average 55mpg at 90mph.

That was the highest speed that was observed. Subconsciously, the largest morphs into the 'average'. That's how people claim to average 55mpg at 90mph.

unthrottled you cynic and it is genuine, can you get booked on line? if so it was in Germany. 86mph and 40.3mpg again genuine according to the computer.