2002 VW GOLF 1.9 PD TDI ASZ - Headgasket!! - number1presenter

Hello all,

I have scoured the net and this forum for similar engine threads but no luck so thought I would post a thread..ANY help would be great please.

I Have a 2002 Golf PD TDI 130 With ASZ engine and as of today think my head gasket may be on its way out!

Was out doing the normal weekly checks and there is a Light creamy film inside filler neck and creamy sludge on oil cap(Not lots)...None on dipstick... within the last month it has had full service( Oil change & oil filter,fuel filter,air filter pollen ect ect) new cambelt, new waterpump and new hydraulic tentioner.

I have not had any white smoke, temperature problems or coolant loss, however I did have coolant change and instantly the coolant turned back to a rusty style color!

What cost would I be looking at for a head gasket replacement on the ASZ engine please? I do have AA cover which for the last three years have paid extra the for parts and labour add on which I have never used , which means they will pay upto £500 worth of repairs/parts (I pay first £30) if it goes when driving and I call them out!

Is there a difference in cost if I was to say, go to the garage tomorrow and have it done (Not that I can afford to as of yet!) Or carry on driving it until it ''officially'' goes (White smoke plumes out when driving?) and then call them out?

Also whats the rough cost of a Sniff test please?

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP AND ADVICE PLEASE.

Ben

2002 VW GOLF 1.9 PD TDI ASZ - Headgasket!! - Robin the Technician

Hi Ben,

First of all, I don't think you have a head gasket failure. There are many factors that relate to gasket failure and creamy sludge around the filler is one of them. However you've not lot water loss so its unlikely is gone. The cream can be caused by short runs - if you gave the car a 100 mile belt up the motorway, it would most likely be gone as the engine has reached normal operating temperature for long enough to evaporate the water condensation causing it. Also you've had a recent oil change - what you need is a minimum semi synthetic or better still, fully synthetic

DON'T get the gasket changed - I would be very surprised if its gone. Follow my advice first (its a lot cheaper).

The rust in the cooling system could be that it was not flushed out enough before it was refilled. I suggest draining, refilling with a 50% water/bleach mix put in the cooling system, run it for half an hour then drain and refill with fresh antifreeze& water. It will be as clean as a whistle (an official action sanctioned by Vauxhall).

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am

2002 VW GOLF 1.9 PD TDI ASZ - Headgasket!! - dieselnut

I would concure with Robin. Wipe off the emulsified oil & chek it weekly.

Does the engine get up to 90 on the temp guage after 4/5 miles,

The correct coolant is a red/ orange colour so may look rusty, is it clesr if you look in the expansion vessel when cold.

2002 VW GOLF 1.9 PD TDI ASZ - Headgasket!! - 659FBE

A failed oil cooler will give these symptoms (it's an oil/coolant heat exchanger on these engines) and is relatively cheap and easy to replace.

In my experience, the oil coolers are less reliable than the head gaskets on the 1.9 PD engines - get a knowledgeable Independent to check it.

2002 VW GOLF 1.9 PD TDI ASZ - Headgasket!! - unthrottled

Wouldn't a failed oil cooler show up as oil in the coolant since oil pressure is usually greater than coolant pressure?

2002 VW GOLF 1.9 PD TDI ASZ - Headgasket!! - unthrottled

Emulsified oil on the underside of the filler cap has got to be the number one unnecessary cause of panic amongst car owners. The oil takes a long time to warm up-far longer than coolant and condensation will remain in the oil for quite a while after starting. Generally i have emulsified oil on the filler cap throughout winter andthere is a a slow loss of coolant. I was tempted to pull the head off (again).

But the crusty residue round the junction between the thermostat housing and the upper radiator house explained the coolant loss. And when I checked the dipstick after a typical 10 mile run, the oil temperature was only tepid. Head gasket is fine. Yours probably is too!

Thank you very much for the advice all, as I say, When the guy did the waterpump and belt he said keep an eye on fluid as may need to top up next day, lo an behold, I got in it the next day went to drive and got " stop check coolant" I did and it was almost empty, topped up to level (about 3 weeks ago) been to plymouth and back since and fluid still ok!

I will try the suggested clean of coolant to see if it is radiator too,thank you very much.

It's defo got fully synthetic in when I did oil change, being the PD I was very precise in engine oil choice lol.

It was defo a panic when I saw the creamyness as its the first time I have noticed it,despite checking my oil each week, but only had the car 6months so this is the first winter I had it,

It has been sat for about 3-4 days as not been at work, but did a very short journey tonight.

My normal journey to work is 9 miles on country roads, I would say within 5-10 minutes the temp gauge is perfectly centred.

Another thing worth mentioning is the mileage is about 150200, would this be an issue gasket wise?

How much would a garage roughly charge for sniff test in the worst case scenario please?

Thank you all again,

Ben

Edited by number1presenter on 21/10/2012 at 01:39

Got some coolant out today and took some pics which I have posted below...what do you think? I have chosen the best pics from the lot, showing before shining A light and with a light through it, its not something I have done before so unsure what I should be seeing but to me it looks ok however there is as you can see when looking closely at pics some little black bits floating around and falling to bottom?? thanks all again.

<*** src="http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/presenterben/image-1.jpg" border="0" alt="" />

Before light ^^^

with light

<*** src="http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/presenterben/image2-3.jpg" border="0" alt="" />

<*** src="http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/presenterben/image1-2.jpg" border="0" alt="" />

<*** src="http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/presenterben/image3-3.jpg" border="0" alt="" />

2002 VW GOLF 1.9 PD TDI ASZ - Headgasket!! - mark

Do consider the oil cooler as suggested by 659 above.

It more likely to be that than the head gasket, The oil cooler is a known issue and there are re-designed oil coolers available from VW. When the cooler goes 9 times out of 10 the oil enters the coolant NOT the coolant into the oil.

Mine went recently on a 2001 Passat 1.9PD TDI at 147k.

New oil cooler and fitting was less than £100 at my VW Indie.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree about it being the gasket. If you are wrong the difference in cost of a new gasket being fitted vs the cost of a new oil cooler are enormous and will still leave you with this problem. Get the oil cooler checked first.

As always

Mark

Edited by mark on 21/10/2012 at 22:56

2002 VW GOLF 1.9 PD TDI ASZ - Headgasket!! - Robin the Technician

Hi,

The removed antifreeze looks fine - fit to be put back in. 150k mileage does not mean your gasket has gone. From the distance you travel coupled with the drop in outside temperature, all this will add to your problem. I certainly don't think your gasket has failed. I suggest giving it a blast to get the oil up to temperature for long enough to boil off the water droplets that cause emulsification. My Daughters Corsa 1.4 has it a bit as I use it to do 5 miles a day to work. I gave it a 30 mile run recently and hey presto the emulsification has gone.

Don't change the gasket - you don't need to.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am

2002 VW GOLF 1.9 PD TDI ASZ - Headgasket!! - bathtub tom

+1 for Robin the Technician.

Could anyone else be bothered to try and sort the URLs for the pictures?

2002 VW GOLF 1.9 PD TDI ASZ - Headgasket!! - Vagtastic

Hi

It sounds to me like The previous two members have answered your question but here's abit more just to back them up. The ASZ engine is a good strong engine and it would be very rare for the head gasket to go on that engine. Oil coolers were a common fault on the mk4 golf platforms right from the 90ps right up to the 150ps. So I would agree with the two members that have already helped you out and go with the oil cooler first it's cheaper and will probably cure your problem. I've seen people run them ASZ engine's to well over 200K and they are still running strong.

Just a bit more to help you out.

Best of luck with it.

Richie.