Mazda 6 - engine rebuild - alex1

Hi,

Mazda 6 2.0D year 2008

The DPF light came on and there was a loud bang - lots of smoke from the back. Limped it to a dealer (not customer friendly) who said engine compressions down to about half what they should be - suspected pistons could be bent and recommended a new engine.

That I cannot afford. It appears that the engine could be rebuilt. If so can anyone recommend any company that would do this including refitting. Looking on the internet it would appear that there is a lot of dodgy operators.

I live in the SE, Bromley area but am prepared to go anywhere to get the car fixed properly.

Thanks, Alex

Mazda 6 - engine rebuild - injection doc

these engines are not really suitable for a rebuild after they have blown up !

sadly its a real common problem. On this occassion it may be time to walkaway !

I suspect if you pay 1000's for a replacement engine your problems wont stop there !

These suffer with turbo and DPF issues as well as injector problems and ECU's

I am never one for giving up but on one of these its the only way !

worth a read http://www.mazda-campaign.co.uk/

Mazda 6 - engine rebuild - Robin the Technician

Alex,

Any engine can be rebuilt providing it's within specified tolerances to do so. The dealer has not told you what EXACTLY needs to be done. It could be bent conrods which can be replaced with a stripdown - you don't even need to take the engine out to do it. You've not indicated the mileage of the vehicle but assuming its under 100k then a new set of rings whilst having the conrods changed and it would probably fix the problem. On an 08 plate it's worth spending 1k on repairs at least.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am

Mazda 6 - engine rebuild - unthrottled

Heynes were adamant that the Ford zetec engines were unsuitable for a bottom end rebuild-although how much of this was the usual over-cautious lawyer speak I don't know.

It might be cheaper to source a second-hand engine and swap the electronics of the existing engine onto that rather than rebuild.

Mazda 6 - engine rebuild - Collos25

Some small engines used by Ford group were fitted with snap bolts so even if you wanted to they could not be stripped down.