Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec 2000 - Speedo dropping intermittently - Ali67

A week or so ago the speedo needle just suddenly dropped whilst I was driving at 70mph on the motorway. I felt a slight loss of power and the radio volume dropped. At the same time my heart came up in my mouth and my legs turned to jelly!

I do the same journey 5 days a week, 10 mins on the motorway and 10 mins either side on side roads from home to work. The needle appears to drop when I've been on the motorway for a couple of minutes. As the days have gone on it is dropping regularly 3 or 4 times on both journeys to and from work sometimes only for a couple of seconds, other times for longer. I have tried avoiding the motorway but when I did this the speedo dropped just as I was approaching a roundabout and then the dashboard was like Blackpool illuminations, although the car stalled it did start again straight away.

This morning on the way to work the needle dropped 5 times on my short journey and the fifth time I drove nearly 2 miles before it came back up again. At this point the traction control light came on and wouldn't go off and my mileage just appeared as a row of short lines. Very scary indeed. Again the car keeps running but does show a slight loss of power initially and the radio volume dipped again.

My husband has replaced the HT Leads and put in a new coil pack. We have a VSS on the way which he will fit at the weekend, so am hoping this will solve the problem.

HOWEVER, the oddest thing about all of this is that hubby drove me to and from work on 3 occasions taking exactly the same route and absolutely nothing happened!! Can anyone explain that?? I've had the usual comments from the men I work with about women drivers so I won't be accepting that one!! I've also been told maybe I have too much static in my body or maybe I am from another planet!! lol

HELP!!!

Alison

Edited by Ali67 on 12/10/2012 at 10:58

Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec 2000 - Speedo dropping intermittently - injection doc

VSS very common and will cause all the issues you discribe including the radio volume as its speed sensed.

However the VSS can corrode into the gearbox making it almost impossible to remove.

It may pay to use plenty of penatrating oil/spary for a week or too before attempting its removal.

Also worth an inspection around the drive shafts G/box end to make sure they are not starting to leak oil ! if they are the diff bearings can be worn also causing intermittant speedo drop although this is more consistant with cornering and roundabouts

Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec 2000 - Speedo dropping intermittently - bathtub tom

injection doc.

Can you explain please how worn diff bearings can cause intermittent speedo drop?

The VVS runs off a worm on the diff carrier. When the diff bearings wear the diff moves in its housing often just allowing the two gears of the speedo drive to miss each other !

hope that helps.

used to be a very common issue on early FWD fords

Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec 2000 - Speedo dropping intermittently - bathtub tom

Right, that makes it clear. Thanks.

Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec 2000 - Speedo dropping intermittently - elekie&a/c doctor

Focus models use a hall effect speed sensor .There are no gears to run out of mesh.hth

I was trying to keep it in simple explanation, in principle its the same as the earlier version. so ok the diff moves away from the hall sensor causing a weak or lost signal.

As I also said mostly its just the sensor that fails but corrosion is the biggest issue

Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec 2000 - Speedo dropping intermittently - jonny10buds

The instrument cluster or binnacle is a common failure point on these cars, I think they're around £300 new from Ford or £30-£50 from a breaker, there are also a few on eBay, only 10 mins to fit but your mileage reading will be incorrect, new ones will start from zero and used ones will have whatever the mileage was on the broken car. The mileage can be re-programmed for around £80 if you're bothered.

Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec 2000 - Speedo dropping intermittently - mikej

Yes - this is almost certainly the vehicle speed sensor so get it changed ASAP, as a loss of power means that both the steering and brakes can fail to function properly.

I've posted a fairly detailed 'how-to' if you search this forum for 'vss'. Some can be fairly easy to remove if you're DIYing it but some, like mine, can be an absolute nighmare !

Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec 2000 - Speedo dropping intermittently - MrsDoc09

Yes - this is almost certainly the vehicle speed sensor so get it changed ASAP, as a loss of power means that both the steering and brakes can fail to function properly.

I've posted a fairly detailed 'how-to' if you search this forum for 'vss'. Some can be fairly easy to remove if you're DIYing it but some, like mine, can be an absolute nighmare !

Hi, at ideas, roughly how much a speed sensor & fitting would cost? Thanks