Vauxhall vectra B 1.8 pet 1978/79? Engine x18xe - misfiring Vectra b on tickover - rocket66

my vectra just failed an mot due to engine misfiring on idle causing ommision failure. About 2 years ago it had an engine light coming on and the engine stopping or juddering. Stop the car for a few minutes then started and ran fine. had a garage do a dianostic and they said it was either the camshaft or crankshaft sensor. Changed the camshaft sensor and it was fine until about 6 months ago. Started to intermitently cut out when engine was idling. Adjusted the throttle cable which cured it but sometimes it would over rev at junctions.It still runs very lumpy on idle and is obviously misfiring. Ok when its going no problem. Have tried various things suggested on the various forums youtube etc. New plugs new air filter cleaned carb all leads spark ckecked hoses and tightentened dissconnected and cleaned MAF unit as yet not engine temp sensor. Have read on this site it could be and engine ecu earth fault, but also someone seems to think it could be the ECU itself, but as this is a costly exercise to test repair or replace i thought I'd ask your advice as to my next move. Help needed asap as I'm self employed and this is my work vehicle

Many thanks

Vauxhall vectra B 1.8 pet 1978/79? Engine x18xe - misfiring Vectra b on tickover - rocket66

Have just carried out paper clip test getting following codes:

0110 air intake temp?

0100 Maf sensor?

0130 02 sensor ?

0505 idle air control?

Obviously some of these could be old reports. I assume the last one 0505 is the latest

idle speed control which would make sense as the car misfires on idle but runs fine but where is the sensor for this. Or pehaps its the ECU or a common earth fault as mention in previous posts with the engine light and juddering etc.

Would appreciate your earlieast reply as i'm self employed and need car for work but it needs MOT

Many thanks

Vauxhall vectra B 1.8 pet 1978/79? Engine x18xe - misfiring Vectra b on tickover - injection doc

Firstly 0100 can trigger on a vauxhall if it stalls !

0130 can be triggered by misfire

0505, I would suggest washing all the throttle body out, removing the idle control valve and clean thourohly

if a vauxhall has champion plugs this also adds to the stalling crisis. Fit GM plugs only and make sure lead set is genuine. Electrical noise from plugs and leads can trigger air mass and cam sensor faults galore on one of these.

The misfire may be caused by a tiny air leak , vacum pipe, throttle body gasket/spindle worn & injector seals and manifold gasket need checking

if the idle speed screw has been adjusted this can cause lots of idling problems, these are set by a voltage reading through the TPS sensor and idle speed is controlled by the valve

If the idle speed control valve doesnt end in an x then its a very old,valve and the later ones that were improved had an x on the end of the part number

always remeber, back to basics and check air leaks and plugs etc first ! very important. Do not use WD40 to search for an air leak as it contains silicon which can damage the HEGO sensor

Vauxhall vectra B 1.8 pet 1978/79? Engine x18xe - misfiring Vectra b on tickover - unthrottled

Do not use WD40 to search for an air leak as it contains silicon which can damage the HEGO sensor

I didn't know that. Thanks Doc.

Is carb cleaner ok for leak chasing?

Vauxhall vectra B 1.8 pet 1978/79? Engine x18xe - misfiring Vectra b on tickover - injection doc

yeah carb cleaner is fine, can be a little voltile if you have a spark plug lead leaking !

Thanks doc will try those things. Yes when it did start happening I adjusted the throtle cable and the idle screw to stop it cutting out on idle. As to the TPS can you expend a bit more, I take it means throttle position sensor? where is it. Should I back the idle screw off a bit and see what happens?

Many thanks

the voltage has to be measured at the TPS, throttle position sensor, cant remeber when the screw is in the correct position the voltage should be iether .53 or.58 of a volt.

Normally back the screw off untill the flap just stick and screw in 1/4 turn. Its a starting point. allow the ecu to relearn the idle once adjusted.