VW golf - Deposit on used approved car - rustygate

Hi guys

Was looking for a quick bit of advice from anyone who knows about dealerships...

I saw a great deal on the VW used approved website for a car that was coming in to stock but wasnt available yet.

I rang the dealership to enquire and said that I was really interested and they suggested I put down a £500 refundable deposit to reserve the car.

I got a phone call a week later to say that they were now in possesion of the car and apparently it had some damage to it. The manager then told me if I wanted it it would cost an additional £1000 as it needed repairs.

By me putting down the deposit, has the garage agreed to supply the car to me at the original price or is it a less formal agreement than that?

Thanks

Chris

In addition the car is now on the VW used approved website for £1000 than the original price

VW golf - Deposit on used approved car - Avant

If the dealer is trying to change you more for a damaged car than for an undamaged one, don't deal with them. You can get your deposit back as the car isn't in the condition that was implied.

Unless there was anything specific in the terms you agreed, the dealer doesn't have to supply the car at the original price, and you are under no obligation to buy it.

Ah I suspected as much. Thank you for your reply. It's a shame because it would have been a good deal.

The whole thing strikes me as a little odd for a used approved car. I didn't think they would perform repairs on a damaged car then sell it through the used approved scheme.

Thanks again

Chris

VW golf - Deposit on used approved car - daveyjp
Someone has priced it incorrectly, the damage story is bluff to get you to pull out of the deal. If you pay more they win, if you pull out they advertise it at the higher price and win.
VW golf - Deposit on used approved car - Collos25

The reallly only odd thing is puting a deposit on a car that might come into stock its condition is unknown and so is the retail price,there is loads of tin out there to chose from that you can see and test drive.By the way there is no such think as a good deal at a VAG agent only one you think is good.

VW golf - Deposit on used approved car - tony g
Hi rg.
I suspect what is happening is that the car was offered for sale at the wrong price initially.

I doubt that it has been damaged ,it's not likely that a vw dealer would be offering an approved car for sale that's had extensive repairs .

It's nonsense that they would expect you to pay a higher price to cover the cost of repairs .

If you're still interested in buying the car .I would go to the dealership and check its condition .If its ok insist on the garage completing the deal at the original price .If they are unwilling tell them they're in breach of contract ,initially take it up with vw uk .

Did you receive an invoice confirming the price you agreed ,alternatively do you have a copy of the advert confirming the price at the time you paid the deposit ?

You will need documentary proof to confirm your complaint .

Regards

Tony g

VW golf - Deposit on used approved car - madf

Unwilling seller especially VAG - means no love lost so a real pia to deal with in future.

Run away is my advice and tell everyone what a bunch of illegitimate offspring they are.

VW golf - Deposit on used approved car - jacks

I don't think it was wrongly priced.

The OP said himself he let the dealer know he was "really interested"....The car has come into stock and they have decided to try to cash in on his enthusiasm for the car by trying to squeeze an extra grand out of him.

clearly the damage story is just that

The OP simply needs to compare the vehicle with other similar cars with similar specs and mileages and it will be simple to ascertain what a fair price should be. There are literally hundreds of Golfs on their Approived Used Website to compare

J

VW golf - Deposit on used approved car - Chris79
I had a similarly complicated situation with a Kia dealer recently. Unless the car is a rare car that you cannot find elsewhere walk away from the deal with your deposit. If there's any doubt it's time to walk. There's that many golf s out you don't need to take a chance.
VW golf - Deposit on used approved car - skidpan

Dealers lie, its a simple fact.

Saw a Golf advertised some years ago, checked details on the phone, drove to see it, when we arrived it had lost 2 doors, gained 5,000 miles and had £1000 added to the price, salesman blamed the girls in the office, me and the other half were fuming. The ensuing showroom argument enabled us to get a cracking deal on a car that suited us better which we kept for 7 years.

Their error worked in my favour that time.

Thanks to all of you for your input. It cannot be said enough times how good this forum is. This is the email confirmation I got from the dealer.

"Hi Chris

sorry for the late reply

but the payment has been proccessed and i can tell you the you have reserved the car xxxxxxxx

with the attention to refund you deposit once you have seen the car driven it and you did not like it

Regards

xxxxxxxxxxx
Sales Executive"

The garage is very close to my girlfriends house. I think I will go there this weekend and have a frank discussion about what is really going on and walk away if I am unsatisfied

VW golf - Deposit on used approved car - tony g
Reads like a contract to purchase at the original price to me ,stupid of the dealer to put anything in writing at this stage .

Do let the forum know the outcome .

Just to follow up this post, I phoned the Citygate Volkswagen Colindale dealership on the weekend to find out if the car was available, they said it was.

I then went to the garage and initially spoke to a different salesman to the one I had been dealing with on the phone. I explained which car I was interested in and she asked me at what price I had seen the car for on the internet. To this I replied that I had put a deposit on the car when it was priced at £8000.

At this point she disappeared into the back room to get the sales manager who had previously dealt with me on the phone. After what seemed like a long disussion behind closed doors the guy came out and explained that the car was a trade in. He said that between the time of valuing the car and actually taking delivery of the car, the owner had damaged the panels of the doors and rear bumper. He also explained that the car was currently in the body shop being repaired.

For this reason, he said, it was no longer profitable for them to sell the car at £8000.

At this point I should have asked them to show me the car (to prove it had actually been damaged) and also got them to explain to me why they had paid the same price for the car if it was damaged (which I assume they would not).

Unfortunately I kind of bottled it, got kind of angry, mumbled about writing to VW group about the incident, got up and left.

So that's it. Can't win them all I guess. Cheers, Chris

VW golf - Deposit on used approved car - nick62

Is it any wonder the phrase "..............a secondhand car dealer" is used as a disparaging remark?

I often wonder what job some of these besuited individuals would do if they didn't sell cars?

VW golf - Deposit on used approved car - skidpan

Similar thing happened to me at a VW dealer. He had 2 identical Golf TDi's advertised, one red, one white, both ex VW, both same price. Had a white Golf and hated red thus looked the white one first, only 10,000 miles but it was a nail. He offered to do all that was necessary to sort it but I was not interested, 4 bent wheels made me nervous. I walked over to the Red one and it was really nice but immediately he said they had just fitted a new fuel pump and could not sell it at the advertised price.

Walked and got a better deal elsewhere.

Life too short to get uptight, I still had the money and the garage still had the cars. Buying a car was not essential for me, I already had one, however if the garage did not sell cars it would be the end for them. Garage not there now, think they were taken over.