Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - brum

I have noticed this everytime I go abroad. Yesterday I drove from Rotterdam to Schipol and back. Weather was at time terrible, high crosswinds and torrential downpours. Average speed of 60mph or so.

However, despite this, my 98 Alhambra 1.9tdi returned just shy of 60mpg, and road noise was neglible, and smooth ride.

Return to the UK this morning, driving on M62 at 60mph and best I can get is 45mpg. Also constant bobbing up down in the inside lane, presumably due to HGV damage even those it was resurfaced not that long ago.

Everytime I go abroad, the mpg I get is 15-20% better, and road noise is so much less.

I don't believe Dutch motorways are less safe than UK motorways, they have more extreme winters/summer/weather than us.

Time we ditched any pretense that British Civil engineering is anything but mediocre and we should ditch those stone finishes on motorways and use whatever the Dutch are using. Think of the CO2 savings and the reduced cost to individuals, companies and the economy or would the idea be blocked due to reduced Tax income?

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - sandy56

I have travelled a lot on Dutch and European roads and have found them to be variable- good and bad. The same in Germany some excellent roads and some awful ones too. I dont think they are much better than ours.

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - SteveLee

The road surface would not make that much difference to fuel economy - even from one extreme to another - I suspect that you are subconsciously driving more carefully in "unfamiliar" territory, hence the improved fuel economy.

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - Collos25

On a scale of 1 to 10 the British roads in my opinion are at 2 while the Dutch roads are 9 and the German at 8 ,a goverment law said every autobahn in Germany has to be rebuilt with a minimum of 3 lanes although this takes time A2 and A4 are absolutely superb.And I have never come across a bad road in Holland, living in Germany for 25 years when I come to the UK its like going into the dark ages and where roads are concerned they are are just terrible the M62 roadworks are an absolute joke and I too notice a drop in fuel economy.

Edited by Collos25 on 06/10/2012 at 20:21

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - SteveLee

Drop in fuel economy? Yes - but 60mpg to 45? Absolute nonsense,

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - Collos25

No I have never experienced such a difference more in the region of 5% .

As matter of interest how long before there are tolls on the M62 around Leeds part of the new gantry installation has the facility for the Siemens vehicle reconition system used in conjuction with a road toll systems. The system is already in use in Germany only HGvs at the moment but rumour has it that all vehicles will be encompassed shortly.

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - Roly93

Drop in fuel economy? Yes - but 60mpg to 45? Absolute nonsense,

I've done quite a bit of driving in Netherlands, and the increase in fuel consumption is probably more due to being caught behind overtaking lorries forciong you to drive at 60-65 instead of the 75-80 you normally would on the 2 lane motorways which pervade this country. The roads are smooth, but they have nothing like the amount of traffic we have in parts of our road network. Same goes for a lot of France also.

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - MikeTorque

A smoother quieter road surface will produce less friction and contribute to fuel economy. In addition the roads in Holland are in general flatter than in the UK, as a result fuel economy is significantly improved when not going up and down hills/mountains as in the UK.

Also many of the UK cities have high concentrations of traffic lights and roundabouts, both of which stop or slow vehicles which in turn significantly contribute to higher fuel consumption.

The problem with the UK roads is they are subject to huge volumes of traffic and are pounded every day & night of the year. This coupled with heavy winter salt usage and ice, prolonged droughts etc. cause road surfaces to break up, plus insufficient road inferstructure investment by every government are major reasons for the poor state of many of the UK roads. The roads in some of the rural areas of England are in a shocking state, it's like driving over rubble due to the road surfaces falling apart.

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - Bobbin Threadbare

The roads in some of the rural areas of England are in a shocking state, it's like driving over rubble due to the road surfaces falling apart.

Try driving through Liverpool......generally a visit to a chiropractor is required after traversing the Everton Valley area......

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - Mike H

I started a thread on this subject some time ago, at least 2011 and perhaps before. For some reason most of the motorways on the continent are smoother, and don't seem to keep the car bobbing around on the suspension - really noticeable on our occasional visits to the UK. Can't comment on the fuel economy, can't say I've noticed TBH.

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - barney100

Is a dual carriage way in Holland double Dutch?

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - Chris79
I can't comment on the effects that road surfaces have on fuel economy although I'm sure it does make some difference. I too get frustrated by the roadworks and sheer volume of traffic on our roads. However compared to the continent there are some major pluses to our road network. I have just returned from a 2700 mile journey around Europe and I really can't see what the fuss is about French toll roads. I almost inevitably ended up in a queue waiting to pay the toll, which wasn't cheap and the road surface and level of traffic wasn't any better than at home. Mindful of the fact that I pay 30 pounds per year road tax and the total road tax contribution from all covers the entire cost of our road network and some it would appear that toll roads are just an excuse for a private company to make some serious cash. I have only used it once but I believe that the toll road around Birmingham is susceptible to delays and tailbacks, why would you want to pay for that?

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - focussed

Yes, happened to me many times over the years, I think it's to do with the diesel fuel available in the UK-as soon as I fill up with French diesel fuel the economy improves immediately-I've posted on this subject before on HJ but can't find it.

Same car,same driver,same speed, different fuel-different economy-it isn't the roads it's the fuel.

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - unthrottled

it isn't the roads it's the fuel

I can't see there being much difference in the composition of the fuel.

Road surface will make a difference to economy but it won't be huge at motorway speeds where air resistance dominates and rolling resistance is relatvely less significant.

Continental Europe tends to be less windy than the UK so air resistance is lower.

Traffic congestion is usually less.

Journey length tends to be longer when travelling abroad so the engine warm up period is relatively less significant.

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - focussed

it isn't the roads it's the fuel

I can't see there being much difference in the composition of the fuel.

Road surface will make a difference to economy but it won't be huge at motorway speeds where air resistance dominates and rolling resistance is relatvely less significant.

Continental Europe tends to be less windy than the UK so air resistance is lower.

Traffic congestion is usually less.

Journey length tends to be longer when travelling abroad so the engine warm up period is relatively less significant.

"I can't see there being much difference in the composition of the fuel."

I know that you will deny that there is any difference in the the fuel specs UT, but as have I have posted before, the reduction in fuel consumption after filling with French fuel is so predictable,immediate and so marked that I have to assume that there is a difference. Same car, same driver, same engine, same basic cruising speeds, no additives-has happened time and time again-my wife used to be able to predict the MPG after filling with french fuel without having sight of the readout and it has become something of a family joke! OK as we all know fuel computer readouts are not calibrated to any real degree of accuracy but as a comparison tool they work.

What I suspect is going on is that UK road diesel is being diluted with kerosene or lighter fraction distillates to improve emissions-the result being a fuel of lower SG so needing more fuel to achieve the same power but I can't prove it because I don't have access to any lab test equipment.

I read this on an obscure website about 4-5 years ago about a proposal to do this dilution to reduce vehicle power and emissions.

Tolls are payable in France but not Holland or Germany and the road tax you pay has nothing whatsover to do with how many roads are built or repaired in the UK this bill is picked up through general taxation.You actually pay Road Fund Licence which is a payment to polute the highest poluters pay more than the least poluters.

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - unthrottled

You actually pay Road Fund Licence which is a payment to polute

That's the way it is branded.

the highest poluters pay more than the least poluters

The highest polluters will be the ones who use the most fuel. VED doesn't influence total fuel consumption at all which is why it is a perverse tax.

With VED, the more you pollute the better your value for money!

VED is so priced to make the heavy users think about buying a more economical vehicle than that which use hence lowering polution.Well thats the theory.

Which is based upon the assumption that the vehicle is the problem and not the driver.

Car A: 40,000 miles a year @50mpg=800gallons/year

Car B: 10,000 miles a year@20mpg=500 gallons/year.

But you can bet that car B pays much more VED than car A.

And then there's sales reps pounding up the motorway ay 90mph. Still paying £20/year VED on the assumption that the car will get 65.8 mpg. It'll get half that at 90.VED doesn't provide an incentive to drive at 70. Fuel duty does.

From both an economic and environmental perspective, VED is a disaster.

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - brum

Inevitable that my post would be labelled as nonsense or unbelieveable and in true HJ forum fashion, the thread would go off on completely unrelated topics and if you excuse my words, occasional drivel.

The mpg figures were genuine from my on board computer which I have found over the years to be reasonably accurate (+/- 3% or so)

The fuel was 100% UK supermarket fuel in Holland and 60% Dutch Shell/ 40% UK supermarket in England.

Roads that I compared were the A15 / A4 in Holland and the east section of the M62 up until the M18 interchange (before any hill section)

I have noticed this difference in economy on the many occasions that I travel to Europe. This time was exceptional as I was travelling at 60mph max. but I would say that 10%+ is easy to see. When travelling much faster, say 80mph, the differences are lower but still there.

The point I am making is the surface on the Dutch A4 to Amsterdam is far superior to any UK road I've travelled in terms of road noise and rolling resistance. Even if a more conservative figure of 5% was accepted, the savings to motorists and the economy is great.

Edited by brum on 08/10/2012 at 00:05

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - Dutchie

Interesting topic regarding motorways.I believe the superior tarmac what is used in Holland was invented in the UK.Governments won't spend the money here the ducking and diving syndrome.>;)

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - Dutchie

Interesting topic regarding motorways.I believe the superior tarmac what is used in Holland was invented in the UK.Governments won't spend the money here the ducking and diving syndrome.>;)

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - TeeCee

they have more extreme winters/summer/weather than us.

Watching the british weather, I tend to find that normally we get the same weather over here about two days later. You need to go further east (i.e. further from the sea) to get the continental climate of colder winters and hotter summers.

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - bananastand

Some Uk motorways get wrecked by HGVs as soon as they are surfaced. What fun we'll have as we obey our EU masters and allow ever-bigger lorries on our roads, sorry, I mean roads in the province of the EU I know best.

There is a main A road approaching Hull surfaced in concrete which I think is the noisiest road I have ever been on.

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - bear807
I think given the amount of money I paid for road tax and others, despite some of the uk road is quite crashy I can't really complain. China have some very good quality highway, but it has ridiculously expensive toll. I would rather drive the crashy road than to pay more fr road improvements
Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - veryoldbear

It's all very curious. I've driven that Rotterdam / Schipol road many times, but usually in a hire car, As far as I can see there's nothing very unusual about it. OK, it's flat as a pancake, but very busy, and sometimes as clagged up as a UK motorway, the whole Rotterdam / Hague / Amsterdam area being pretty urtban.

There is a main A road approaching Hull surfaced in concrete which I think is the noisiest road I have ever been on.

Yet in Germany new concrete roads are extremely quiet its how they lay it.Fuel from German and Dutch and maybe French refineries are produced to a different formula that that produced in the UK .

I've done quite a bit of driving in Netherlands, and the increase in fuel consumption is probably more due to being caught behind overtaking lorries forciong you to drive at 60-65 instead of the 75-80 you normally would on the 2 lane motorways which pervade this country. The roads are smooth, but they have nothing like the amount of traffic we have in parts of our road network. Same goes for a lot of France also

Its funny because the traffic density is greater in the Nederlands and Germany than it is in the UK.HGVs can only travel in the outside lane at certain times and are allowed only short period time to complete the overtaking manouvre.But I agree it can be annoying but its nothing as bad as the UK were there seem to be no restrictions whatsoever.

Edited by Collos25 on 08/10/2012 at 19:55

"Even if a more conservative figure of 5% was accepted, the savings to motorists and the economy is great."

Replace "conservative" with "plausible" or "believable" then you have the beginnings of a sensible conversation.

A bit off topic, the Dutch engineers we need her in the UK are the ones what stops the rivers overflowing every year.We can't be blaming the rain forever.

A bit off topic, the Dutch engineers we need her in the UK are the ones what stops the rivers overflowing every year.We can't be blaming the rain forever.

That will be the A63 I agree very noisy.Then carry on to Castle street and Hull docks.We have been waiting for a tunnel to be build for twenty years,Castle street is named by lorry drivers the road to hell.We just had the Humber bridge toll reduced to £1.50 was £3.50 previous.But what can a council do if the money isn't supplied to build the inprovements to roads .Both Labour and Tories are guilty of underfunding the council.Not enough jobs for people in Hull and lots of them on low wages.Take the ferry to Rotterdam and tunnels have build in a few years across the river Maas.Not the UK peoples fault but the ones running the country.

The M56 junctions 12-14 is crying out for quiet tarmac. The towns f***sham and Helsby almost spill onto the hard shoulder, yet there are no noise reducing features, not even a barrier of trees. The only feature the area is getting is an ethically souced wind farm to complement the motorway noise

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - Avant

Sorry about the swear filter, Unthrottled. I'd be interested to know which town F***sham is! If you put spaces between the offending letters you should be able to reveal all.

F R O D sham 10 miles North east of chester. Now , what is the hidden obscenity?!

Yet in Germany new concrete roads are extremely quiet its how they lay it.Fuel from German and Dutch and maybe French refineries are produced to a different formula that that produced in the UK .

That's interesting about the fuel being produced to a different formula-any further details or a link for this?

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - ear8dmg

Might have something to do with Holland being as flat as a pancake and the M62 being - well - hilly...

Overcoming gravity isn't free...

Holland and Belgium have there fair share of hills lets face it the UK is no good at infrastructure I have been in African states with better kept roads than the UK,

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - madf

Holland and Belgium have there fair share of hills lets face it the UK is no good at infrastructure I have been in African states with better kept roads than the UK,

I remember Lagos which has a wonderful multi lane highway suspended in the air.

When I was there it stopped in mid air and had been like that for about 6 years..

Overcoming gravity isn't free...

Um, yes it is. Your consumption going up the hill is increased as you gain potential energy.

But you lose this potential energy going down the other side, and your consumption is reduced. There's no net difference to driving onthe flat!

Hills are only 'lossy' if you can't maintain your momentum on twisty downhill sections and your hard earned potential energy is being turned into brake heat.

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - Engineer Andy

Please do not blindly criticise British Civil Engineering (I am a Mechanical Engineer working in the Construction Industry, so can see both sides [always a friendly rivalry between each type of engineer]) - it is the senior council/DfT officials and politicians who deserve most of the blame - the companies working on road building/resurfacing projects ONLY DO as their clients tell them, i.e. within spending limits, or occasionally to the whim of the official "in charge" (hair-brained schemes).

Good examples of this near me are the:-

A505 between Baldock & Rosyton in Hertfordshire: A decent stretch of the road which was deterirating was resurfaced with decent tarmac, other areas patch repaired (OK), then both were either ripped up or covered over with rubbish top-dressed chipping, which is very noisy (therefore much higher resistance, requiring higher fuel use) and is already wearing back to the previous layer (IMHO a cheapo job). A quick cheap "fix" to stop road users complaining (there are always reports about the state of this road on the Herts CCC Highway Fault Reporting website).

A603 (part) east of the village of Wimpole (near Cambridge) - exactly the same happened here as on the A505.

What a waste of money for both! When I saw the news story about the alleged DfT cock-up about the Rail Frachises, I was not surprised, given how bad transportation has been managed by public officials over the years, and particularly when the last Labour Government were in power (IMHO pitiful amounts spent on road repairs and lots of poor quality "sticking plaster" jobs to pretend work is being done - almost ignored by the majority of the press, ironically at a time when "bling-bling" ultra-low profile tyres were coming into "fashion" [I sense a stitch-up to see more tyres and car parts due to wear from bad roads!]).

Civil service for the "best and brightest" and "professional" politicians - yeah right! If only actual professional engineers and other practical people (including many under-valued working at the "coal-face") actually ran things, we wouldn't be in half the mess we currently find ourselves in! Too much short term opportunism for political reasons and not enough considered long-term strategic thinking! I suppose that's what we get for having a country run by "professional" politicians, lawyers, unions and media-types!

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - Bobbin Threadbare

The M53 isn't bad. Get on patheticmotorways.org.uk and have a read. Quite interesting - a lot of plans were put in place for new roads, different surfaces etc, but not necessarily carried out.

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - concrete

With regard to our roads and fuel consumption. I agree with Engineer Andy. I too am an engineer and have worked in construction for 40+ years. Schemes are designed to achieve the best results from the clients 'wish list'. When the schemes are priced the 'wish list' is then subject to 'value engineering' i.e. sod the design etc-take the cheapest price. You buy cheap-you buy twice. No free lunches etc etc. If these schemes were run by real professionals with a brief to deliver on design and also low maintainance for 25 years we would have a brilliant road, rail etc etc infrastructure, which would be cheaper in the long run.

Fuel consumption always varies when I drive on the continent. Arriving you are faced with a road system which generally is less busy and longer motorway distances between stops. This plus the relaxed atmosphere of a holiday generally means relaxed driving and better fuel consumption. Return home to our overcrowded roads, the prospect of work again, and the driving practices all equals less relaxed driving and higher consumption. Simples

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - Ethan Edwards

We should fire all the civil engineers and so on. Just employ Irish Travellers. They can have an entire field converted into hard standings tarmac'ed and all the drains installed in under 36 hours over a bank holiday weekend.

Such speed such efficiency!

Every time I pass roadworks in this country IF and I say IF there is ever anyone visible all they are doing is leaning on a shovel chatting to another hi viz layabout..

I honestly think all the roads in the UK are built by magical fairies waving a wand. Because sure as eggs are ouef's Bovis, Laings etc don't seem to have much to do with it.

Such speed such efficiency!

Oh, they can lay down the tarmac quickly enough-but the weeds will be poking through within a fortnight.

leaning on a shovel chatting to another hi viz layabout..

I once thought that-then I worked as a labourer on a building site for a couple of weeks. It's blimin hard work!

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - concrete

Because sure as eggs are ouef's Bovis, Laings etc don't seem to have much to do with it.

Bovis have not been involved with a decent civils project since God was a boy, I don't even think we had roads then! Laings virtually went out of business until revived by O'Rourkes about 10years ago. It's McAlpines Fusilliers you want to see out there!

Wimpey (We Import More Paddys' Every Year) were the road kings once too, ah happy days. Cheers Concrete

Having just travelled through Holland and seen the new roads under construction geting rid of roads that are far better than anything in the UK and as Dutchie says you cannot even stop a bit of flooding in the UK anybody who thinks they are a good UK engineer in civils wants to spend some time in Holland or Germany and see how its done.

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - Engineer Andy

Having just travelled through Holland and seen the new roads under construction geting rid of roads that are far better than anything in the UK and as Dutchie says you cannot even stop a bit of flooding in the UK anybody who thinks they are a good UK engineer in civils wants to spend some time in Holland or Germany and see how its done.

They know how it should be done (see concrete's post after my first), its those holding the purse-strings in the DfT, Councils etc who want the "cheap" (only over the short term) fix at the expense of a more cost-effective long-term solution. Most of these bods in charge have no clue about this sort of thing, and only want to please their political masters who (as previously described) have no experience in management of high quality large organisations. Until these people are replaced with those drawn from a wide variety of the respected professions and a much wider variety of the population as a whole, the narrow, insular and short-termist way things are run in this country will prevail.

Making this happen will be the one of the most important and difficult things society will need to do if we are to provide ourselves with the infrastructure tools to survive and complete with the best of the world in the 21st century and beyond.

Wow - I'm really getting into this issue!

Here, here Andy, if I performed for my company the way these idiots perform for public bodies then my proverbials would be on the block, but they walk away 'Scot Free' and are then allowed to repeat the folly ad infinitum. Oh to be King for a week. Going on holiday to calm down and lie in a darkened room for a week. Cheers Concrete

Here, here Andy, if I performed for my company the way these idiots perform for public bodies then my proverbials would be on the block, but they walk away 'Scot Free' and are then allowed to repeat the folly ad infinitum. Oh to be King for a week. Going on holiday to calm down and lie in a darkened room for a week. Cheers Concrete

Already been on holiday - recharged and ready to kick some proverbial butt! I'd really love to be able to take on these (often) clueless numpties who are in charge - if most of these (and those I work on in building construction/refurbishment) were run by proper professionals, then we'd be able to do twice as much (and of better quality) for half the cost (some of the projects I've worked on [the NHS being the worst] have doubled or even tripped in budget for very little gain - lots of endless discussions/changing of minds, of during the construction phase of the projects). Of course, if anything goes wrong (especially where choice of design is concerned), it's never their fault, even if we warn them beforehand.

Its a wonder this country hasn't gone bust already over the past 15 years, given these people have been in charge for that long and more and the amount of "white elephants" that have been built (roads and buildings).

Quieter, more economical motorways - We need Dutch Road Engineering/builders - MikeTorque

>> Its a wonder this country hasn't gone bust already over the past 15 years, given these >> people have been in charge for that long and more and the amount of "white
>> elephants" that have been built (roads and buildings).

The UK is bust already, see below for details on public debt :

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/334/uk-economy/uk-national-debt/

It'll take many many years (more likely decades) to turn things around such is the huge amount of public & private debt the UK has accumulated. The root of the problems stem from greed and impatience, the "I want it now mentally".

The huge challenge for the UK public & government is do they have the guts to slog it out for many years working hard to pay off these debts and accepting cuts and reductions in their standard of living, or will they bottle out and continue borrowing and living beyond their means until such time they can borrow no more and then be forced to declare the nation bankrupt. What kind of future do we want to give our children and their children, that is the question ?

If we want better roads then HOW do we bring about the changes necessary to enable that to happen ?