FIAT Doblo - What is the 1.4 petrol like in the current Doblo? - daveyK_UK
We need another roomy 5 seater.
With vauxhall now using the doblo and also Ram set to start using the doblo in the USA, the Doblo makes sense.
We previously had numerous Berlingos, but we wont be doing anymore than 6,000 miles in this car, so another 1.6 diesel berlingo does not make sense and the 1.6 petrol engine in the berlingo is awful with no pick up anywhere in the rev range.
But the best part is the price, a fiat dealer will sell me a brand new doblo my life 1.4 petrol for £9.2k on the road (solid paint - but that is fine).
Alternativly, I can have a 62 doblo 1.6 diesel my life for £11.7k or a 12 doblo 2.0 diesel for £11.5k

I was wondering,

What is the 1.4 petrol unit like?
Is it reliable? Is it belt or chain cam?
What else it is used in? (the 1.4 unit in the qubo is only 74bhp where the doblo 1.4 has 95bhp, so im not sure if this is the same engine).
Any other experiences of the current shape doblo?

Thank you for all the replies.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 01/10/2012 at 13:11

FIAT Doblo - What is the 1.4 petrol like in the current Doblo? - johnnyrev
We have a 2010 Doblo Eleganza with the 1.4 petrol and are very pleased! We only do 5000 miles a year so after having DPF problems with our previous Diesel Doblo we went for the petrol.

They are very good value and ours has been trouble free for just over 2 years. It's not a fast car and is noisy when you put your foot to the floor, but is quiet enough on the motorway and we get around 35mpg in mainly town driving.

I'm afraid I couldn't tell you anything about the engine spec! I believe it's the same 1.4 as the qubo, is it related to the old FIRE engine (someone will know!)?
The local Fiat dealer has serviced it for £99 for each of the last 2 services which we were impressed with and overall its wearing well. Our previous Doblo had loose trim at 2 years but the new one is far more solid, even with our 2 dogs in the boot creating chaos!

Loads of room inside, the split level boot is brilliant, the Tom Tom sat nav is worth having and we would definitely have another one! I can't think of a car that is as practical for the money!
FIAT Doblo - What is the 1.4 petrol like in the current Doblo? - daveyK_UK
Thanks for the feedback, are you sure its the same 1.4 FIRE unit, as the FIRE unit use to be soley 8v, where the FIAT website informs the doblos 1.4 is a 16v.
Is it the same 1.4 from the punto and bravo?
FIAT Doblo - What is the 1.4 petrol like in the current Doblo? - johnnyrev

The Doblo 1.4 is a 16v, which could be the same engine as the 1.4 16v Bravo, although that only has 90bhp.

The Punto 1.4 is either an 8v or the multiair petrol engine, with many more horses!