BMW 1 Series, E87, 116i - Problems with the car on a cold start - SGM26

Hi, I recently purchased a '57 plate BMW 116i 4 months ago from Arnold Clark and it has 2 years mechanical warranty. Mainly used for short commutes to work and back (less than 10 miles one-way) and going about town. Occasionally take it out for longer journeys to give it a good run.

For the past month or so when I start the engine cold the car shakes from side to side, the revs drop below normal idle speed (pressing the accelerator does nothing) and it makes a noise like it's about to stall. After about 5 to 10 seconds (varies) it clears and runs as it should.

Spoke to the dealer who explained I would have to take it to one of their BMW branches, which I did. Explained what the problem was for a second time, they hooked it up to their diagnostic equipment and took it for a test drive but they couldn't find anything wrong, no error codes, nothing. Since there was no apparent problem with the car, they handed back the keys and apologised for not being able to pin down the issue.

Since then I have taken several video recordings of the problem in action (from inside the car and with the bonnet up) and I plan to take it back to the dealer again with the evidence. (I have links to them on YouTube if you want to view)

Has anyone heard of this type of problem before? Concerning the dealership, should I refuse to pay for the investigative work or parts not covered by the warranty? What rights do I have?

Regards,
SGM26

BMW 1 Series, E87, 116i - Problems with the car on a cold start - Peter D

When you say cold start do you mean after and overnight park or does it also do it during the day. Regards Peter

BMW 1 Series, E87, 116i - Problems with the car on a cold start - SGM26

Both.

Whenever the car has been parked for at least 5 hours or so. Does it when left overnight as well as after an 8 hour shift at work.

On a warm start, i.e. after parked for 30-45 mins at the supermarket it's fine.

Edited by SGM26 on 20/09/2012 at 00:47

BMW 1 Series, E87, 116i - Problems with the car on a cold start - daniel1111
Hi, it's been some time so I don't know if the problem is still there or has been solved already, but in case it still exists: What kind of engine is it? The 1.6 liter or 2.0? Judging from the date it should be the 2.0 If so, I owned a 118i LCI, which has the same engine but in a different state of tune. The 116i, 118i and 120i (all the same engine) have a known issue with the NOx sensor and spark plugs. Again, it is a known issue by BMW although never officially acknowledged. Bring it up at your dealer and it's gonna be fixed at BMWs cost. Could u post the YouTube link so I can see it? But telling from your description I'm 99% sure it's that. Had the issue once, got it fixed, after that no problems anymore. After all an outstanding little car.
BMW 1 Series, E87, 116i - Problems with the car on a cold start - Hamed

Hi guys,

I have seen this forum as I got the same problem recently. I took it to one garage and they changed Nox sensor and also told me that timing chain has problem, is longer, an it should be changed. But several days later I had the same problem. I took to another garage and they replaced all sparking plugs. but it did not solve the problem as the temperature went down I got the problem. When the weather is 10 degrees all is fine, but when it goes below four degrees, the engine kills itself, I have to push gas pedal several minutes and when the engine is warm, it works fine. I could not find any solution, as I checked many forums, and till now I have paid over 1000 Euros and no result.

Could anybody find what the problem was?