I LEASE FROM MOTABILITY BUT I WANT TO BUY NOW - lee kent

I have happily leased a motability car now for quite some time, I am on my 3rd car and fairly soon I will have to decide do I choose another New car or do I hand back the keys and go back to buying my own 2nd hand cars...I have tried to weigh up the odds, The cost of running a old 2nd/3rd hand car as apposed to renting a new car, I love the new car thing but things have deffinatly changed with motability, They have greatly reduced the amount of suitable cars with respect to how much I can afford for an advanced payment for the car that meets my needs, I need an AUTOMATIC, I also need a car that is very easy to get in and out and also with plenty of leg room, Unfortunatly I cannot afford the very expencive A/P For anything 100% suitable, So I would have to accept a car that would be uncomfortable for me to get in & out to keep within my budget...

I have asked motability about there grants for help with A/P and In all honesty it was pretty obvious from the point of asking that it was going to be unlikely.. I think the answer that followed (please be aware it can take several months to apply and even then it can often be unlikely that we can help you with a grant) Kind of put me off from applying...

I have concidered buying a much older car and hope that it is resonably reliable, I am thinking maybe something with a very high seat to make it easy to get in and out, range rover, or something simular with a very high entrance and plenty of leg room and comfort is very importent. I drive a renault grand scenic at the moment, and although it is smooth & economicle it is no longer really that suitable with regards to getting in & out...It was at the time the very best I could choose with my given budget and that was also suitable for my needs

I am quite aware of most the cars available on the scheme and quite a few are very suitable, It is the A/P That is now making me think about moving on to pastures new...

any advise from anybody with simular thoughts or perhaps somebody having already made the plunge would be great... Or even a MOTAB dealer might have some advise, all advise would be cool... thanks lee

I LEASE FROM MOTABILITY BUT I WANT TO BUY NOW - Falkirk Bairn

A/P =??

Advance Payment?

Adaption Price?

Yes a/p Advanced payment... cheers

I LEASE FROM MOTABILITY BUT I WANT TO BUY NOW - tony g
Hi lee ,
I helped my 80 year old mother in law to buy a Suzuki sx4 auto in 2008 .The car has proved to be reliable and fulfills most of the criteria you describe . You should be able to buy a similair model for about £7 k.

You mention in your post a range rover ,I would avoid them . They are a brilliant car ,but very unreliable and cost a fortune to run.

Tony g
I LEASE FROM MOTABILITY BUT I WANT TO BUY NOW - Zuave

Mother bought a hyundai automatic, over 5 years, using her motability (as opposed to leasing on a 3year, 3 year ad infinitum basis). I would have thought this would be possible with any finance deal, just use the motability to pay the finance until the car is paid for. keep the car as long as possible. Leg rooms and height/ease of entry I would have thought anything along the lines of the Berlingo Automatic would suffice?

rgds

Zuave

hiya mate... yeah A 5 year finance deal on a car would proberbly do perfectly, and I should be able to find something easily enough, I am not sure if motability would still do that now though as i have looked and looked through there web site and if they do still do finance to buy they certainly dont advertise it.. I have asked there little question & answers chatt addy thing and everytime i ask any question about buying rather than leasing it keeps prompting me that how good it is to lease... Yes I know leasing is great and up untill now its been brilliant but things have changed and I think buying is best. If they dont help with finance then i will have to find something myself but in all honesty I will never find that sort of money... hyundi have deffinatly got better over the years, How did that car prove with regards to reliablity, ... regards, lee

I LEASE FROM MOTABILITY BUT I WANT TO BUY NOW - Zuave

Morning lee,

can you not simply forget motability and take the money, every month, into your bank account and, using that money, get a normal finance deal to buy a car? Also, at a possibly lower interest rate, try for a bank loan to buy a car, just ensure the repayments are no more than your monthly motability.

At least this way you get something for your money...that is to say you actually own the car after a number of years. Do you do starship mileages? if not the car will last for years.

Mums Hyundai (Amica I think...auto, air-con and all that) on a W plate is still going strong. usual consumables 8tyres brakes etc), 1 new battery I fitted and, i think, a belt/pulley for the air-con. For the MOT this last time she did have to have some new brake pipes and a weld done. lad over the road welded it for a 6 pack of bitter and ex-Bro-in-law made the 2 lengths of brake pipes up and took it to MOT. toatal cost under 100 sovs.

rgds

Zuave.

Hello Tony, Cheers for the info mate, I have leased for over 9 years now and in all honesty buying now I think will be the best all round answer... I mentioned a range rover simply as an example but all cars will be concidered, My only concern is the running costs of foriegn cars, As apposed to bristish cars, but having said that I have thought about the susuki... Funny enough though there are not that many britsh cars that have a very high entrance with a lot of leg room, I was even thinking a van might be the answer for me but not for my family lol......Leasing another car is great, I have nothing to worry about but the advanced payments of £2000+ is pretty unreasonable for almost anybody.. cheers mate lee