Nissan Note - 16000 miles with Nissan Note 1.4 Petrol - ohsoslow

Avant's report on his Skoda has prompted me to do the same for our Note, now 3 years old. To explain the relatively low mileage it is almost always used for 60 mile trips, only once or twice a week, plus weekends away, rarely any trips less than 20 miles. We have kept a tatty old Vauxhall for local journeys around the local mud and muck filled lanes.

The car was bought as it fitted our need to carry MIL and wheel chair around easily, with its ideal access height and big doors it has proved to be right for the job. Also the back end is very square, therefore allowing tall stuff to be put in the boot, unlike many hatchbacks which have sloping rears. It is very easy to drive, even herself likes it. While it is no racer, it is lively enough around town and has enough go on motorways and A roads.

Even driven fairly swiftly I get anything from 45 to 50 MPG. Everything has held together thus far and on the whole we are very pleased with it.

Minus Points:......

Had to have all four alloy wheels replaced as they were beginning to bubble. This was done under warranty by dealer.

The tyres are all down to 3mm already so will need new before winter (front to back swapped when wheels replaced) but different make.

The front discs are also wearing very quickly and will also need replacing soon.

I think the front is as ugly as sin but I don't see that while driving it.

Has no street cred - though this could be a good point?

Nissan too are offering what seems to be a good deal for a new model which I will investigate in the near future.

Nissan Note - 16000 miles with Nissan Note 1.4 Petrol - Avant

M.any thanks, Ohsoslow - very interesting.

Nissan UK, having struggled to sell the previous ranges (Primera, Almera and Micra) through lack of USP, seem to have re-invented themselves and found niches for the Qashqai and Note, and more recently the Juke (if you think the front of the Note is ugly as sin, try the Juke from any angle - but it still sells well. Actually sin can be quite attractive....).

I read somewhere that Nissan are going back into the Golf-size market next year. It'll be interesting to see how it fares.

Nissan Note - 16000 miles with Nissan Note 1.4 Petrol - Ethan Edwards

Be aware that the new Note is being launched in 2013 so of course Nissan UK are heavily discounting the current model.

That said I like my 1.6 Auto..a lot. The looks grow on you. But time flies and two and a half years on It's got 40K on it so is going. Just bought a Yaris..hybrid.

Oh and a tip for the OP...don't rush into buying new Conti's. If you have the 16 inch wheels I can recomment Falken Ziex 912's as a replacement. It's a weird size so you don't have the choice that others do. In fact your limited to about four choices. The Falkens have been good in the wet, wear well and best of all much comfier and queter than the more expensive Conti's. Four thumbs up for the Falkens!

Nissan Note - 16000 miles with Nissan Note 1.4 Petrol - ohsoslow

Thanks Ethan,

I wasn't aware of a new model so may leave things for a while.

I believe the Contis wear rating is 280 and seem to be a grade up from soft cheese. The Vredesteins on my MX-5 are also 280 and are lasting much better even thought the car is driven much harder though of course its characteristics are a lot different.

I checked with my insurance company to confirm that they will accept H speed rated tyres rather than the Conti V rating, The maximum speed for V or even H rated tyres is grossly optimistic for my Note. This may widen the choice a little when I look at renewal.

Nissan Note - 16000 miles with Nissan Note 1.4 Petrol - Ethan Edwards

Good idea asking about the speed rating. I just simply replaced like for like but agreed the Note doesn't need V rating at all.

Anyway I really do recommend the Falkens as it made the ride so much less 'jiggly'. Mine is going this Saturday. I got 29K from my Conti's. The brake disks ...still the originals but when the pads were done they were still within the manufactuers tolerances so didn't need changing. Blackcircles.com if your interested.