I miss my diesel! - Happy Blue!

My diesel at home is a Ford S-Max 2.0 TDCi with 6sp slushbox auto. 140bhp. It pulls a large heavy car with a surprising amount of verve and the wave of torque is marvellous coming up a hill on the motorway. I didn't buy that engine for economy or driveability; simply because the only petrol auto was a dreadful 2.3 iron lump that no-one wanted. Of course the facelifted model has far better gas engines.

I am currently away with the family and have rented a car - a Kia Rio saloon with what i believe is a 1.4 petrol engine and 4sp slushbox auto. I really want to like this car, and there are elements of it that are up there with the best including interior trim quality and design, exterior design and surprisingly the ride. What is dreadful is the performance. No kickdown of any description, and almost no power reserves. Lots noise but no oomph.

Its like a really old car from my youth of the 1970s with very small engines that you to row along and really think and anticipate whilst driving. Good for brainpower, but quite taxing on a two hour journey with kids in the back and being used to pressing the go pedal and.....well......going!

I really like small cars with a proper boot. Just dont understand the British mentality of 'it has to be a hatchback'. A boot has a lot more space for stuff, the stuff is out of sight, there is improved body stiffness and aerodynamics and they look smarter.

I miss my diesel! - unthrottled

A boot has a lot more space for stuff, the stuff is out of sight,

Eh? For a given floorpan size, a hatch has much luggage room. Fair pount about security though. The other thing I don't like about saloons is the absence of a rear wiper. I know they look dorky, but they are useful!

A saloon will always have more luggage space with all the seats in use.

Only if the saloon had a bigger floorpan to start with. A saloon is simply a hatch or an estate with a chunk taken out. You lose a lot of useful space and don't really gain anything-other than aesthetics. Arguably some cars look better as an estate anyway. 5 series and Passat being prime examples.

I miss my diesel! - gordonbennet

''I really like small cars with a proper boot. Just dont understand the British mentality of 'it has to be a hatchback'. A boot has a lot more space for stuff, the stuff is out of sight, there is improved body stiffness and aerodynamics and they look smarter. ''

Couldn't agree more, but you're forgetting the British and their strange habits, they buy a car for its image and badge, got to be leather and top of the range, then fill it up with all sorts of stinking filthy rubbish, festooned with nails and sharp edges, dripping dubious smelling fluids all over the shop, and then drive down to the local tip..sorry recycling centre..together with all the other clones doing exactly the same almost every weekend.

Oh, and I don't miss my Diesel one bit..;)

I miss my diesel! - mss1tw

I regretted buying my previous Toledo saloon when I tried to get a push bike in the boot.

Give me hatchback anyday.

I miss my diesel! - corax

then fill it up with all sorts of stinking filthy rubbish, festooned with nails and sharp edges, dripping dubious smelling fluids all over the shop, and then drive down to the local tip.

Chuckle. Very true GB. Not being one to buy (or able to afford) a car brand new, I've certainly wondered what some of the dubious looking fluids in the furthest nooks and crannies are that I've had to clean off - the ones that the 'professional' valeter hasn't spotted :)

My Rover SD1 was a hatchback and I thought that looked smart. Depends on the model though.

I miss my diesel! - gordonbennet

''My Rover SD1''

Oh thanks a blessed bundle Corax, after many years i've finally got over the twitch that hateful 2300 Rover left me with after a thankfully brief period of ownership hell, i can feel the left side of me clock trying to spasm as we speak.

Cor blimey, who need enemas when theres mates like you.....-:)

that hateful 2300 Rover

Now there's your problem. Should have bought the V8. I'll admit though that build quality wasn't the best :)

I miss my diesel! - madf

''I really like small cars with a proper boot. Just dont understand the British mentality of 'it has to be a hatchback'. A boot has a lot more space for stuff, the stuff is out of sight, there is improved body stiffness and aerodynamics and they look smarter. "

Great until you go to the DIY store and find you cannot carry:

any wood longer than 1 metre

a parcel higher than 500mms

Your MIL in the boot cos her car has broken down.

A hatchback is far more versatile. (My MIL is long deceased so I have no risks there)

I miss my diesel! - SteveLee

You're not missing your diesel - you're missing your turbocharger - remove that from the equaltion and performance would be similar to the na 1.4 petrol.

True I suppose.

Whatever, the lack of ooomph was worrying and positively dangerous at times. You either have to stay behind very slow moving traffic, or force your way out and try to find every trick to stay in the quicker flow. I used up lots of calories today in brain power working out each second which gear I should be in, where on the road I should be, what is coming up behind me, what am I coming up to and should I pull in or not.

I miss my diesel! - Avant

We go to South Africa most years, book a hire car in advance 'VW Polo Classic or similar' - and almost always get a gutless Toyota or Nissan 1.4 or 1.6 petrol. Believe me, this year I missed my petrol Octavia just as much as its diesel predecessor. The one year when the hore car was good ot drive was when we actually got a Polo Classic: VW;s 1.6 has a lot more oomph than Toyota's or Nissan's.

But - whereas a hatchback or estate is what we need at home (never mind the image) - we do appreciate a booted saloon on holiday. The hire cars - no doubt with a bigger platform than the equivalent hatch - take two large and two cabin-size cases and hide them from view.

I miss my diesel! - jamie745

4 of my last 5 cars have been saloons and I find I don't need the rear wiper as I have no interest in where I've been anyway.

Nobody misses a diesel by the way, I mean seriously. No.

as I have no interest in where I've been

Neither do I . But I do have an interest in my rear window when I'm reversing out of a parking space...

Rear parking sensors are your friend :)

I'm your typical van driver type, if I can't see out of the rear and I need to I stick my head out of the window.

You mean ears?

I miss my diesel! - Bobbin Threadbare

You mean ears?

Rear parking sensors are a way to push up prices for pointless additions. My mum's Aygo has them; it beeps furiously if you near an object, but since it's basically a driveable Lego brick and turns on a pin, I really don't see the point. Then again, some wit saw fit to put a spoiler on it as well.

I miss my diesel! - madf

When you grow elderly and have back pains, or injure your back in a sporting activity (likelifting the shopping out of the trolley) or your neck..

and find you cannot turn round to look behind you, parking sensors are essential.

I know most of you are young and fit and scoff at these things, but parking sensors are ideal for me. And anyone I don't reverse into..

:-)

As for comparing a 2.0 litre diesel with a1.4 petrol with an autobox! Words fail me but it's clearly as sensible as a TopGear presenter asked to drive a Vectra.

Edited by madf on 23/08/2012 at 13:52

As for comparing a 2.0 litre diesel with a1.4 petrol with an autobox! Words fail me but it's clearly as sensible as a TopGear presenter asked to drive a Vectra.

I wasan't comparing - just commenting on how used I am to not thinking when driving - the car does it for you. I really had to think about my journeys in this Kia.

I am surprised by many comments about saloons. A hatchback with a boot added is longer as a saloon and therefore with the rear seats up it has a larger boot. With the seats down it has a longer load length. I recall that the Vauxhall Belmont could hide the goods in an HGV in its boot; the Astra couldn't.

Maybe it's overkill in a 'driveable Lego brick' but my car is really quite large. The original owner only had them put on the rear though, not the front. That'd be silly.

Just do what I do. Reverse until you hear a slight tap - you'll know that you're far back enough. If you're reversing up to another car though make sure you check that the car's owner isn't actually at the driving wheel. As I found out in a car park when the Ford Ka owner rapidly reversed and drove away.

I should really be living in France.

I miss my diesel! - mss1tw

Even better with a tow bar :-D