Ford Focus LX - Ford Focus stuttering... - Jules80

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum but have just acquired a piece of knowledge I wish I had a couple of months ago when I bought my Ford Focus LX.

The car started stuttering when my son borrowed it for a day. I drove it next day for about 15 minutes and no problems - then it started doing the same to me.

My neighbour recommended a local Ford system expert who fixed it for me at a cost of £171. After reading a lot of stuff on various forums I was quite relieved actually...

It seems that he'd had the problem before on another Focus - water ingress to the spark plugs (caused by the dealer I bought it off) jet washing the engine compartment to make it look better prior to purchase!

He guessed that the dealer had left the car to stand for a long time with the plug socket access tubes full of water before I bought it, and it had begun to corrode the plugs. He showed me the old leads and they were well watermarked.

He said that another Focus he had once worked on had the plugs seized in so tight because of a similar problem that the spanner stripped the plug nut and they had to remove the cylinder head to get it/them out.

Of course I am not a mechanical expert, but he's got the car running sweet as a nut again so I am happy. I just wondered if any other people have washed the engine down and accidentally filled the plug access wells up with water and suffered for it later?

Edited by Jules80 on 03/08/2012 at 16:48

Ford Focus LX - Ford Focus stuttering... - Avant

Thanks for this - I've moved it to the Technical section as that's where people look if they have the sort of problem that this will help with.

Ford Focus LX - Ford Focus stuttering... - Jules80

Cheers HJ.

I am an electronics technician with some mechanical car experience, but I had forgotten just how interesting technical stuff can be when real world repercussions are involved.

Keep up the good work mate.

Jules

Ford Focus LX - Ford Focus stuttering... - Ace-of-Jase

My car has this issue. It stutters and almost loses power then as suddenly it boosts and accelerates again. The Engine Management light has popped on now. It did the same a few weeks ago but then went off again. Its been stuttering for weeks now.

Ford Focus LX - Ford Focus stuttering... - drogers

This Throttle body problems there is one item on Honest John with 53 odd replies on this problem its a well known Focus petrol engin car fault.

A new throttle body cost £360 , onmine I also neede a new PCM as the thrrottle body problem took out the PCM

Not a cheap fix

There is as I say lots of stuff on Honest John technical

Ford Focus LX - Ford Focus stuttering... - drogers

Water around plug housings and subsequent rust etc hard to remove plugs is a well known Focus issue-see further on Honest John

Its not 'jet washing by last owner' its the usual problem of water ingress via washer jet holes (in bonnet) and pipes

Theres loads about this on Honest John go check and see