Skoda Fabia - Vibrations Through Steering Wheel when Braking - squibsquib

My Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI had vibrations though the Steering Wheel when Braking Softly at low speeds. There was no vibration through the Brake Pedal. I was advised to get my Discs and Pads Changed so I got this done and the Vibrations are still there. There is also a clunking noise when I hit a bump and the Front left tyre is worn on the inside each. Anyone any ideas whats causing this?

Thanks

Skoda Fabia - Vibrations Through Steering Wheel when Braking - daveyjp
Possible suspension component wear, track rod ends, bushes etc etc. Get it checked out.
Skoda Fabia - Vibrations Through Steering Wheel when Braking - Peter.N.

If only one tyre is worn unevenly this suggests wear/damage to the suspension on that side, the problem could be caused by the tyres themselves, try swapping them with the rears.

Skoda Fabia - Vibrations Through Steering Wheel when Braking - madf

Get the tracking checked first. ATS do it free. A bent suspension arm or worn bushes will cause tyre wear.

They will also look at what else is possibly wrong.

Your garage are incompetents : find someone else.

Edited by madf on 02/08/2012 at 16:54

Skoda Fabia - Vibrations Through Steering Wheel when Braking - squibsquib

Thanks for all the response. Just am update on the problem. I jacked up the car earlier and rocked the wheel while grasping to at 6 an 9 oclock positions. There was a bit of play. I then done the same at the 6 an 12 oclock position an there was no play. The tyre also has uneven wear all over it but mostly in the inside. I am going to book it into the garage tommorow but would like any information what the likely causes could be. There is no wheel bearing groaning noise but know that the Fabia is prone to Wheel Bearing failure.

Thanks

Skoda Fabia - Vibrations Through Steering Wheel when Braking - Peter.N.

The 6 and 9 oclock play will be due to a worn track rod end, that combined with uneven tyre wear can cause all sorts of problems.

Skoda Fabia - Vibrations Through Steering Wheel when Braking - wattie14

had exactly the same problem on my 04 reg 1.9 tdi bora, tyre wear, brake judder, i replaced the discs and pads, no difference, had new front bearings fitted and was a bit better but the problem did not completely go, anyway after two months the problem was back just the same as before, the chap fitted two more new bearings and was fine for two months and back with the same noises and problem, finaly i went and bought an expensive wheel bearing and went to a friend to getit pressed in and he found the problem straight away, on both near side, and off side the bearings had damaged the housing by turning inside the housing, priced them up at vw at £227, so i went and got two from a breakers yard and fitted the new bearings to them and bingo problem solved.

Skoda Fabia - Vibrations Through Steering Wheel when Braking - ib33

Have you checked the lower ball joint for play?

Broken spring, might look OK but a piece might of fallen off, try counting number of coil turns on both sides. Don't think this would cause tyre wear.

Hope you sort it!