PEUGEOT 306 HEADLAMP CLEANING - Pug306xldt
Hi,

Does anyone know how I would be able to clean the inside of my front headlamps?

The problem is I have just brought 2 new front indicators for my pug 306 and they don't really match with my headlamps, as the headlamps look really white and cloudy.

PEUGEOT 306 HEADLAMP CLEANING - Andrew-T
I don't think they are called sealed units for nothing! My guess is that the only thing you might do is to demount the whole lamp, remove the bulb(s) and give it a rinse out. Then hope to get it dry again. They are sealed to prevent condensation!
PEUGEOT 306 HEADLAMP CLEANING - Dave_TD
But... they're not sealed units! I think you're referring to sealed-beam headlamps such as the Mini used to use. When it blew you had to buy a whole new light - lens, reflector and all! Although it was about the same price as an H4 bulb, which quite surprised me when I needed one.
I've been wondering the same thing about cleaning the insides of my Pug 405 headlamps, the reflectors seem either dusty or tarnished, and the insides of the lenses are less than 100% clear. I believe it's possible (once the headlamp unit is removed from the car) to unclip the glass lens, although a fitting kit (new clips and rubber gasket) is needed to re-assemble the light. I'm sure my mechanic changed the dip beam diffuser lenses in my old Mondeo in this way, they had yellowed but the rest of the headlamp casing was perfectly serviceable.
For the time being I've put 50% brighter xenon bulbs in my Peugeot, the light getting onto the road has improved, but only to the level it ought to be anyway! Obviously this method won't be much use if you're looking at it from a cosmetic p.o.v. .
PEUGEOT 306 HEADLAMP CLEANING - M.M
Some modern cars have a separate glass and that is easy to see because they are likely to have clips and a rubber seal, not set "mastic/bonding glue". I'm pretty sure the 306 glass is available on its own.

Even on those where the glass is fixed I've cleaned loads by taking the whole unit out and swilling them out with hot water and squeezy, a good rinse then a few hours on the radiator with the bulb hole uppermost.

Sadly with the 306 this cloudy look is so often the reflectors going dull as DTD says. 75% of the pre '96 306s I look after suffer this, eventually they get a sort of black look to them.

Then it's the scrapyard at £10 a side or new at nearer £60 each.

MM

MM - I have been looking for new headlamps and they are quite expensive, but I noticed you can buy headlamp lens for £24 if I was to buy a pair of headlamp lens what would I be getting.

Would I be just getting the front part of the headlamp including the inner part being silver reflective.

PEUGEOT 306 HEADLAMP CLEANING - M.M
P,

I had a feeling the glass was available at about £20 from Andyspares so they must be separate then if you've seen them.

Sadly all you get is just the outer glass, the reflector is part of a complete lamp assembly.

As I said above these cars seem to tarnish far more than most. At MOT time, despite the lamps passing the minimum requirements, the beam pattern is often poor compared with a nice new lamp.

MM
MM - Thanks for your help.

I only paid £9.40 each for my indicators which look really nice cos there brand new. But they don't match my headlamps so im not putting them on my pug until I buy some new headlamps.

Im going to a local Peugeot breaker at the weekend I shall have a look for some which will match my indicators, but I don't think I will have much luck as they will probably look similar to my original ones unless someone had brought new ones. Highly likely but you never know.

Thanks
PEUGEOT 306 HEADLAMP CLEANING - Ian Cook
I can confirm that 306 headlamp glasses are available as separate items - doesn't solve the jaded reflector problem though.

If the reflectors are shot then you've nothing to lose by trying chrome sellotape. Apply it in strips, from the centre of the reflector outwards towards the rim. You will obviously have to overlap a bit near the centre, but it doesn't matter. You'll be surprised what it does for light output.

Ian Cook