Toyota Avensis 1999 (V plate) - Toyota Avensis Starting problems - beechgrove

Hi

I have a problem with a 1999 Avensis (on a V plate). Been running fine since I bought it a year ago but over the past few weeks I have noticed a problem in starting it. Occasionally turn the key fully on and nothing happens apart from a 'ticking' sound (more recently identified as a sort of electrical short sound) inside the cab or a slight turn of the starter motor again with this ticking noise. After another turn of the key it fires OK.

This week after the car has been standing a few hours in full strong sunlight on two occasions the alarm has gone off for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Now when I try to start the car more often than not it either doesn't fire or turns briefly then stops - and the ticking noise.

Battery has been checked and passed and it was suggested that the starter motor is sticking. Although I don't know a great deal about cars I do know the 'click' of a starter that has jammed! To try to eliminate the starter we have left the car unlocked all day (thus unarmed alarm) and had 5 perfect starts.

When I had to lock the car I used the key in the driver's door so as not to arm the alarm. Had 1 good start but on the second unlock, had a brief stutter before starting and this noise which now sounds more like an electrical short. Every start after that was good but you could still hear a brief electrical noise. This is coming from behind the glove box and is definitely not under the bonnet where the start motor is.

As a non-mechanic I get the impression that it has something to do with the immobiliser.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

Thanks
Alan

Toyota Avensis 1999 (V plate) - Toyota Avensis Starting problems - elekie&a/c doctor

Classic ignition switch fault.Very common on this model.The alarm system does not inhibit starter motor operation.hth

Toyota Avensis 1999 (V plate) - Toyota Avensis Starting problems - sparky93

2nd'ed, ign switch. same happened to me. i put a hidden start button on mine tho.

info here www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...1

Toyota Avensis 1999 (V plate) - Toyota Avensis Starting problems - yokel38

84450-02010 is the part number I bet. Yes deffo the ign switch, a fairly common faliure.

Toyota Avensis 1999 (V plate) - Toyota Avensis Starting problems - casio

hI

look at the Toyota Owners club members webpage - look under Avensis - how to - explains your problem

- had a similar problem with mine, I rebuilt the worn parts of the locking barrel with plastic metal , lasted 30k so far

regards

Toyota Avensis 1999 (V plate) - Toyota Avensis Starting problems - sparky93

thats the club link i posted above lst week