VW Golf Blue Motion - Wrong fuel - Verulaneum

My friend, without realising it, inadvertantly put petrol into her diesel car. After 10 miles it was not running properly. She called the RAC. The RAC man came to look at the car and said it was a fuel pump problem and that she should drive it to the VW dealer 12 miles away. The following day the dealer called her to say that petrol was in the system and that it will cost £4,800 (including £4,000 for parts) to repair it. Does this amount sound reasonable? Would the additional 12 miles driven to the VW dealer (as recommended by the RAC man) have significantly worsened the damage?

Any comments/help would be very much appreciated.

VW Golf Blue Motion - Wrong fuel - Peter D

Something not right there. You do not detail the engine involved but even if it needs a lift pump and a tantem it does not come to £4,000 by a very wong way. I would be informing the RAC of this error made by the guy that attended and get them to check the car out. Regards Peter

VW Golf Blue Motion - Wrong fuel - madf

The RAC man came to look at the car and said it was a fuel pump problem and that she should drive it to the VW dealer 12 miles away.

I hope she did not. - drive it.

VW Golf Blue Motion - Wrong fuel - unthrottled

She should have had the car towed to an indy and had the tank drained. Now the high pressure fuel pump is probably ruined and if she does not have the work suggested by VW done, then VW can (and will) wash their hands of any warranty relating to the engine. Expensive error.

VW Golf Blue Motion - Wrong fuel - dieselnut

VW now know the car has been misfueled so won't cover any warranty on the engine, ever.

I would get the fuel drained then stick a couple of gallons of fresh diesel in & see if it runs ok. She managed to drive it to the garage so all may not be lost. How much petrol did she add & was the tank almost empty at the time?