02 Fiesta (1.3l Duratec) - Crack in coolant tank / slight steam from radiator - cottontop
Good evening all,

The wife came home this afternoon and got me to look at her 02 Plate Fiesta (1.3l Duratec). She said she could see some steam (not much) coming from under the bonnet. She had just driven 2 miles accross Stafford.

After popping the bonnet up I could see a little steam coming out. Upon further inspection I could see a rough bulge on the side of the coolant tank, and then when I peered at the back of the tank I could see a very slight crack where the coolant was coming out (all be it very very slowly).

Is it a straightforward case of getting a new coolant tank or is the fact that there was a small amount of steam coming from the radiator be a worry also ? Dare I say head gasket ??? :(

Many thanks in advance

Richard
02 Fiesta (1.3l Duratec) - Crack in coolant tank / slight steam from radiator - Peter.N.
If you have steam coming from the radiator its either leaking or water is dripping on to it and evapourating, the fact that the header tank has split as well could well indicate head gasket leakage alhough not necessaraly, if there is still pressure in the header tank when cold (hiss when the cap is removed), then the head gasket is the likely cause, if there isn't try replacing the filler cap
02 Fiesta (1.3l Duratec) - Crack in coolant tank / slight steam from radiator - cottontop

took it to the garage. Just a split tank in the end, water dripping out was running down the chassis then vapourising on contact with the hot radiator (relief all round !!)

Thanks

02 Fiesta (1.3l Duratec) - Crack in coolant tank / slight steam from radiator - Peter.N.
That's the sort of thing you need to hear.
02 Fiesta (1.3l Duratec) - Crack in coolant tank / slight steam from radiator - mickyh7

Very common problem on Fiesta's.

My brother in law tried everything to get his to seal,but had to buy a new expansion bottle in the end !

Glad to hear your sorted.

Not quite the end of the story....wife still had some steam coming from the radiator. Upon heavy duty investigation it turned out to be a tiny hole in the pipe to the rad. Fortunately it was right by the connection so it was a straightforward cut and refit of the pipe......