any - Are cars too fast for us now? - John F

I have just read a report in the Sunday Times about a two seater Japanese sports car which appears not to have a roof. It is described as 'not particularly fast'. Next to this statement there is a panel showing, amongst other things, 'top speed 132mph'.

Will historians look back in a hundred years with the same astonishment that we do now at a society which allowed people to freely purchase opium, strychnine and firearms on the high street?

any - Are cars too fast for us now? - unthrottled

The 'not particularly fast' probably refers to in gear acceleration, and is a relative statement ie it is not particularly fast compared to the competition.

The top speed is of course largely academic, but that doesn't mean the car is "too fast".My car has an aerodynamically limited top speed of 115mph-some 60% over the maximum legal limit. I wouldn't describe the 90 horses as excessive!

at a society which allowed people to freely purchase opium, strychnine and firearms on the high street?

Another member of the "there ought to be a law against it" brigade. Legally owned firearms have never been a major contributer to gun crime, and all the subsequent government gun grabs have been ineffective at curbing violent crime.

As for opium and Strychnine, I have never understood why government feels that personal consumption of a substance, no matter how toxic, is any business of the state.

I think historians will look back in amazement and wonder why the populace willingly surrendered their freedoms for thje narcotic of feeling safe. Benjamin Franklin had little empathy for these sorts-and neither do I.

any - Are cars too fast for us now? - gordonbennet

I've long thought that cars handle too well and have too many safety systems for other peoples good.

The ever faster ever better handling car that can outbrake outmanouever and outperform the Jones' model is great.

Except these modern wonders drive themselves, and thats marvellous...until something goes wrong, then when the inevitable happens the speed and G forces at which all control is lost are too much and disaster follows, unfortunately not necessarily for the person at the wheel, but for other innocents who happened to be in the way, often enough the clever car will protect the guilty.

Our problem, IMO, is that we have large numbers of drivers who haven't really learned to drive, i wonder how many of our speeders could bring a car quickly to a safe controlled stop in the wet from three figure speeds on a set of drum brakes with no ABS or traction control.

Best car safety sytem for other people would be removal of the airbag and the fitting of a steel spike to the centre of the steering column in its stead.

EDIT. The problem with criminalising firearms is that then only criminals have them....hence scum feel free to attack and violate innocent people in their own homes, they'd be thinking twice if the real possibility of the business end of something tasty might greet them as they climbed in the bedroom.

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/07/2012 at 13:46

I completely agree that, nowadays, even an average car can outperform it's driver, but I don't think it necessarily represents a growing problem. As much as buyers agonise over a top trumps approach to buying a car (looking to see which has the most horsepower and torque, highest top peeed etc.), most drivers drive conservatively, with ewrrors being down to laziness and poor observation.

One area where I think technology is a problem is 4x4. Lots of buyers are attracted to 4x4 because they think it is 'safer'. With 4x4,it is all too easy to get going, only to find that you can't stop. At least with 4x2, if you can't get going, you don't need to worry about stopping! Of course, This is not an argument for banning 4x4s, simply that people who don't understand what 4x4 can and can't do should be discouraged from buying them because they are more likely to get themselves into trouble.

any - Are cars too fast for us now? - coopshere
"As for opium and Strychnine, I have never understood why government feels that personal consumption of a substance, no matter how toxic, is any business of the state."

Because when the person becomes an addict it's the state and tax payer who has to pick up the pieces.

You could also liken it to the buzz people get from driving fast cars and when they get caught at high speeds on a motorway say " but it was 2 o'clock in the morning and no one else was around"

But hey it's a free society so it's OK.....isn't it?

You could also liken it to the buzz people get from driving fast cars and when they get caught at high speeds on a motorway say " but it was 2 o'clock in the morning and no one else was around"

But hey it's a free society so it's OK.....isn't it?

Er...yes. What's the problem with that?

Because when the person becomes an addict it's the state and tax payer who has to pick up the pieces.

What about a generation that has become addicted to longevity but doesn't want to pay the costs of living to a ripe old age. What about aneorexic girls? Should we criminalise this behaviour? If not, why not? It isn't as easy to distinguish between sheep and goats as you might think.

any - Are cars too fast for us now? - wafer
I always have a chuckle when people start talking about the great braking of some cars. Just remember when your sports car can stop in a traffic jam before you hit the car in front you are still in that artic behind you's braking zone so you are a sitting target for a rear ender.