XC90 - Used XC90 vs XTrail vs Subaru Legacy - logger

I have narrowed down what I want to buy as a used XC90, XTrail or Legacy/Outback

I will up to around £5k.

For that I can get a 03 XC90, 04 XTrail or 52 Legacy

Obviously the legacy estate is petrol but all seem to have their pluses and minuses..

Anyone with opinions based on experience ?

Thanks

XC90 - Used XC90 vs XTrail vs Subaru Legacy - RT

I had an '06 Outback - great car, nothing broke or wore out, servicing/repairs no greater than it's Astra predecessor - downside is the cost of fuel. Perversely all Subaru's seem to give 27mpg in real life regardless of automatic/manual or turbo/non-turbo or driven hard/easy.

Following a write-off, the Outback was replaced with an '11 Hyundai Santa Fe which does actually match the Subaru for handling and agility and is better in other respects - the pre-2010 models aren't as good.

From what I've seen in showrooms and car lots, the XTrail isn't even close to the XC90 or Outback.

XC90 - Used XC90 vs XTrail vs Subaru Legacy - Collos25

Beware of the XC90 lots of gearbox and diff problems Xtrail is the most sensible to own in diesel form sunroof leather and sat nav.

XC90 - Used XC90 vs XTrail vs Subaru Legacy - Happy Blue!

I have owned a 2005 Outback 3.0Rn and a 2007 XC90D5. Without doubt the Subaru was by far the better car and I can I would still have if I didn't need the space of the XC90. However the XC90 was a dog in comparison, hence I now drive an S-Max.

I know of no-one who has not loved the Outback they once owned or still own.

XC90 - Used XC90 vs XTrail vs Subaru Legacy - logger

I bit of a suprise that as many motoring pundits say the XC90 is a great car

I guessed the Outback would probably come out on top but what about the space in the boot..

Anyone know of the differences in boot space between the three with seats up ?

XC90 - Used XC90 vs XTrail vs Subaru Legacy - Happy Blue!

The XC90 is a much larger car than the other two. The Legacy has a fairly small rear seat footwell, but a long boot. I would not want to sit in the back of the Legacy with two other people on a long journey.

The XC90 is a truck compare to the legacy; an axe compared to a scalpel.

The "Pundits" are driving brand new cars with absolute no cost to themselves and they are also open to bribery unlike you who is looking at a ten year old vehicle with all its problems and you will have to pay for them.

XC90 - Used XC90 vs XTrail vs Subaru Legacy - Ed V

For painless longevity, Subarus seems to win time after time. Volvos in the modern era appear in surveys to have compromised the over-engineered beasts of the earlier decades.

I'd advise though that how they have been used may count for something - 7 or 8 years of humming around M / A roads versus shopping or hauling trailers across country might make a lot of difference.

Subarus downside is lack of dealers so check where yours is!

XC90 - Used XC90 vs XTrail vs Subaru Legacy - gordonbennet

The "Pundits" are driving brand new cars with absolute no cost to themselves and they are also open to bribery unlike you who is looking at a ten year old vehicle with all its problems and you will have to pay for them.

Never seen that put so straightforwardly, clearly and truthfully in print before.

Excellent post and true.

Out of the three only the Subaru would be on my shopping list of those three, but if i might put in another possibility, Honda CRV 2, holds its value second hand and with very good reason, its almost trouble free.

XC90 - Used XC90 vs XTrail vs Subaru Legacy - jcnipper

Based on my experience Legacy/Outback everytime.

Mine 55plate (2.5l SE) bought in June 09 with 90k miles for £6k, now approacking 190k miles

Got 40mpg last week over 220miles of M40, M42, M5 and A40 without too much effort although 32-36mpg more typical

Never let me down but I service mine meticulously. Regularly tow horse box too.

Pretty much the best alrounder I've owned

£5k shouls buy much later than 52plate.

JC

XC90 - Used XC90 vs XTrail vs Subaru Legacy - xtrailman

I had a 2004 xtrail diesel SVE for 4 years,never had a problem except a leaking intercooler, changed in the first year.

Then passed it on to my lad, he kept it 3 more years until it started giving problems, an intermitant engine problem, so he traded it in.

For long term reliabilty i always think keep it simple, no turbo, no PDF.cost of spares etc, all cars break down, its just a matter of when and how much to mend.

Example. my lads other car is a 10 year old petrol BMW compact, nice simple non turbo petrol car.stiil broke down, timing chain tensioner failed, cost over £900 to repair, cars only worth £2.5K.

So its pot luck really.

Edited by xtrailman on 02/09/2012 at 19:43

XC90 - Used XC90 vs XTrail vs Subaru Legacy - madf

all cars break down, its just a matter of when and how much to mend.

Example. my lads other car is a 10 year old petrol BMW compact, nice simple non turbo petrol car.stiil broke down, timing chain tensioner failed, cost over £900 to repair, cars only worth £2.5K.

So its pot luck really.

No it's not.

Japanese built and designed cars with Japanese petrol engines go on and on if serviced.

This consumer fatalism over failure is what destroyed Rover and is destroying PSA and Renault. A well built well designed car should outlast the willingness of the owner to keep it..

XC90 - Used XC90 vs XTrail vs Subaru Legacy - xtrailman

Do they really?

My new primera mk1 spent the first few weeks of its life in the garage.

The ECU was changed in the end.

The only thing that destroyed any car was dire reliability.

Japs cars are reliable, but still break.

And cost more than say a ford to repair when they do in general.

XC90 - Used XC90 vs XTrail vs Subaru Legacy - oldtoffee

Having owned a Legacy and an Outback I can't think of a better £5k "bet." Outback if you need the ground clearance and don't mind a bit of rock and roll in the bends a Legacy will feel more tied down on the road. These cars have a good to excellent reputation for build quality and reliability. Agree with other comments on thirst and rear seat space, boot is long.

XC90 - Used XC90 vs XTrail vs Subaru Legacy - corax

Having owned a Legacy and an Outback I can't think of a better £5k "bet." Outback if you need the ground clearance and don't mind a bit of rock and roll in the bends a Legacy will feel more tied down on the road. These cars have a good to excellent reputation for build quality and reliability. Agree with other comments on thirst and rear seat space, boot is long.

Do the front seats suit people with long legs though? I've looked at them and the seat squabs seem a bit short, which isn't nice on long journeys.

Edited by corax on 03/09/2012 at 17:52

XC90 - Used XC90 vs XTrail vs Subaru Legacy - primeradriver

Do they really?

My new primera mk1 spent the first few weeks of its life in the garage.

The ECU was changed in the end.

The only thing that destroyed any car was dire reliability.

Japs cars are reliable, but still break.

And cost more than say a ford to repair when they do in general.

The Primera, of course, was not a Japanese designed and built car.

And the idea that a Primera is any more expensive than a Mondeo to fix when it goes wrong is piffle.

The diesel engine in the Primera was made in Japan 2.2 diesel then they went over to Renault derived engines I believe.

XC90 - Used XC90 vs XTrail vs Subaru Legacy - columbia

I have had a 2.5 petrol x-trail columbia from new in 2007, engine and car made in Japan, its a very comfortable car has loads of space,and has been totally reliable, we get about 30-5mpg but do not tow or drive fast, have just had front brake pads replaced at 42k miles but no other work other than servicing. I would thoroughly recommend the petrol x-trail as a good everyday car.

XC90 - Used XC90 vs XTrail vs Subaru Legacy - GolfR_Caravelle_S-Max

I have a Legacy Spec B Manual Estate. 2005. 100k.

Converted to LPG about 40,000 miles ago.

So, get the standard 24-32mpg (town-Motorway@75mph) but costs half to fill up.

Equivalent to 45-60mpg.

Checked recently to see what I would be able to sell it for and around £3,500 is the guide (LPG not included in estimate). If someone offered me £5k, I would let it go and get a Chrysler 300C SRT-8 Estate. If only to fiy 3 baby seats in the back. And go fast in a straight line.

Handling in the subaru is lovely. Much enhanced by using Michelin Exalto PE2 tyres. But they are £300 a corner. And all four tend to need doing at same time to protect the diff.