7 seater family car - shreeneewas
Hi,

About me:

I am a city dweller with a family of 2 small twins. So pram + car seat will be in our life for next 3-4 years. I will be driving mostly on weekends for shopping and long tours once a month. I expect my annual mileage to stay around 2000 miles and not more.

I am prepared to spend upto 10K (including first year's comprehensive insurance and warranty)

I am looking for a car that

1 is very safe
2 is very reliable
3 will fit 4+pram+luggage or 4+2
4 has low maintenance vehicle (obviously)
5 low insurance (first time driver)

Looks don't matter at all - not literally but almost.

===

From last few weeks I have been reading though forum to finalize my first family car. And based on review had decided to go for Toyota Avensis. But quickly found out that even its huge boot wont be enough for keeping huge twin pram and luggage.

So starting all over again, now I am looking for 7 seater MPV. With rear 2 seats folded, I should be able to keep twin-pram and luggage.

Also, I need 1.8 Petrol Automatic (2.0 only as a last resort)

So far I have considered:

Toyota - Corolla Verso
Toyota - Verso
Mazda 5

One of friend recently bought Mazda 5 (manual) and he is happy with it. But I am not sure how petrol auto holds up and also 1.8 is rare.

I could not find very good review about Corolla Verso and Verso (kinds of reviews I found about Avensis). Are these cars not good enough than rivals?

I would like to know if I can consider

VW Zaphira,
Ford Grand C-Max (petrol auto is not available - pls correct me)

Anything that I am missing?

7 seater family car - bear807
If you don't do much mileage and want automatics best bet is to go with japanese

Try toyota previa and Alphard

Honda odyssey new shape (super rare in the country)

All above is super reliable and is only available in automatics. Engine size range from 2.0 up to 3.0. Ride is good, very spacious. It might not be popular in uk, back in Asia, you can almost see them everywhere.

7 seater family car - Jase

Hello shreeneewas,
Did you say your double buggy won't fit in the boot of an Avensis?! Not even when folded up?
You say your annual mileage is just 2000 per year therefore you need a petrol and not a diesel.

Not sure you will be able to get into a Grand C-Max for £10k yet. The VW Touran will be well within your price range, as will the Vauxhall Zafira (think you got muddled as there is no such car as a VW Zaphira).
I would also look at a Honda FRV - these are a 6 seater car (2rows x 3seats) and later ones come with a 1.8 petrol (with an auto option). Your buggy may not fit however - but worth a try.
At just 2000 miles per year your car is barely going to be used - you don't need to be spending anything like £10k really. Half of that budget would buy Honda Accord 2.0 petrol estate, which has a massive boot and excellent reliability.

7 seater family car - Avant

The Toyota Verso and Corolla Verso are the same car- at some point Toyota stopped calling it Corolla . There was an Avensis Verso but it didn't sell well and examples are rare. The Corolla Verso is a good car which would suit your family well and be reliable.

If you still need more room, consider a Ford S-Max or a Volvo V70 - there are plenty of both around for well under £10,000. Much easier to drive than a full-size MPV like a Galaxy or Previa.

Edited by Avant on 11/07/2012 at 00:07

Thanks for feedback from both the readers above. Lot of good reviews for verso. So that is surely on list. I found S-Max really big. This being my first car I am hesitating as length of the car is surely a big factor for me.

Any word on Mazda 5 - petrol auto model ? I am keen to hear some feedback on this car as I have taken a liking for its sliding door.

7 seater family car - Happy Blue!

Citroen Berlingo

7 seater family car - hallington

After passing my test in a small citroen c3, I went straight into a citroen xsara estate, it didn't take long to adust to the length and in your budget, you could afford parking sensors?

Thanks

I fell in love with Citroen when I first saw. Liked its spacious interior and clear view from driver's seat. But later came across many reviews questioning its realiability and expensive parts - not sure how true theya are.

Shrini

7 seater family car - hallington

My old Citroen was great, but yes there are some that are awful. Parts prices are affected by where you source them from e.g. citroen or ebay/a breakers? Because you are only going to be doing 2000 miles a year roughly, some engines won't like this and anything with a lot of electronics that are charged by a battery it may cause a problem? I don't know what to advise to buy, but whoever you are talking to explain, how little you will be using the car?

7 seater family car - Sulphur Man

Toyota Verso 1.8V-matic petrol with the M-Drive transmission.

Honda FR-V 1.8 auto

We had a day's test drive in the Toyota. I couldnt fault it, but my wife found the drivers seat a bit unsupportive. You should be able to pick up an 09-plate for around 10K

We own a Honda FR-V 1.8 EX auto on an 08-plate. Its been excellent, utterly reliable. My wife can walk through the back of the car doing up child seats. And she drives with the centre front seat down, which allows easy reach access to the children from the driver's seat.

Some people see the FRV's 3+3 seat layout as making the car excessively wide. In fact, its an illusion. It's narrower than the current C-Max, shorter than a BMW 3-series, with more boot room than a Golf, with all the seats in place.

Unless you absolutley need a 7-seater, which means 5 adult seats, 2 small seats, and no boot room, then the 6 adult seats of the FR-V is worth looking at.

7 seater family car - cavey76

I'd also recommend an FRV. It is our "smaller" second MPV. It was the main one till i gone and did it again and number arrived 4 months ago.

All depends on your requirements for luggage. We have a phil and teds buggy...so a double buggy bug longtitudally if you see what i mean. Children sit in a row rather than beside each other. That folded up fits in the boot nicely and allows plenty of room for soft bags for luggage. If you are talking about a double (side by side) buggy i would suggest one of the more traditional mini 7 seaters. We looked at the Verso/Corolla Verso when number 4 arrived by decided against on the grounds that the boot is rubbish if one rear seat is in place. If you will never go beyond 3 kids max then one of these 7 seat MPVs maybe more suitable.

Back in the days of a normal amount of kids (3) i ran a 1.8 petrol avensis estate...little bit gutless on hills but that would be levelled at most 1.8 petrols driving something Avensis or Verso sized.

There really is very little consumption difference wise between most 1.8s and 2.0s at this point in the market. If cost is an issue it might be more insurance/tax wise but fuel difference will be negligible.

As other posters have stated i would stick japanese, Mazda or Toyota. Again we also looked at the Mazda 5 at one point while with 4 kids...but the limiting factor there for us is the middle seat is a tiny perch...it folds out from under/behind the outer seats. So again here if 2 is where you are stopping a great car. If the stork may visit again in a couple of years then it wouldn't be ideal as that middle seat wouldn't take a child seat booster well at all. So in summary to me for reliability your options are as follows. Also i love the sliding doors...our current main MPV (Sedona) has the electric sliding doors. I am pretty sure these are an option on the MAzda if you get a sufficiently high spec. They are brilliantly useful when you are wrestling a couple of kids or where i find them very help during the school run where i do a "drive by drop off" no need for me to get out of the car.....sometimes i even slow down!

PS..... a colleague with two young boys, 18 months and 4 has a Citroen, she loves it despite teh fact the children systematically dismantle it from the inside out. i.e pieces of trim constantly fall off.

Apart from that mechanically it seems sound enough and i believe the petrols should be sturdy enough.

Last thoughts you could look at a Kia Carens. Probably not at the build quality/calibre of a say a Toyota/Honda/MAzda but it is Kia's 7 seat mini MPV. I know nothing of them other than to say my 80K mile Sedona (The carens big brother) is solid, trouble free and shifts my brood in safety on a daily basis.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful reply.

Honda FRV is a good vehicle ans very spacious but having 3 seats may not be very convinient to me.

@cavey76

Thanks for acknowledging that twins and saloon/hatchback dont go together. We came to same conclusion when we could not fit our buggy and couple fo bags on our way to party. And thats when I started looking elsewhere.

And yes we are going to stop at 2, our home is noisier than railway station ;). And about cramped middle seat in rear row, it seems to be a case with all the compact MPV so that is a comprimise I need to live with.

Between Corrola Verso and Mazda 5, sliding door changes the game altogether. It gives such a easy access for placing children in car seat.

It is stil not a final decision, but I am titling towards Mazda 5 Auto Petrol. I have checked the reviews so far nothing concerning. But please let me know if I need to ne warned of anything.

Thanks

Shrini

shrini, I wasn't entirely clear the middle seat in the Mazda 5 is more of a perch than a seat. Look elsewhere on this site for HJs reveiw of the Mazda 5. That middle seat wouldn't be out of place on a Honda Fireblade. It really is very compromised. Saying that if you are stopping at two it isn't really an issue as it can be folded away and give you even more room or (i believe) be flipped and used as a table for the two in the outer seats.

I like toyotas, i have had a couple but i could easily be swayed by sliding doors. My Sedona has them and it is a very useful feature whe you kids are around. Try and get the higher spec model with electric sliding doors.,.....even better!!!!! :-)

Anyway good luck!

7 seater family car - JohnM100

Yep the middle seat in the Mazda 5 isn't the best. That's the trouble with finding a good seven seater is that some are more suited to children or small adults than to larger adults. Have you thought about something a bit different such as a Mitsubishi Outlander? That's still a 7 seater with lots of space, but has more of a four-wheel drive feel and look, and still gives over 50 mpg.

Or the Kia Carens would be a good choice if you're after something in the 'mid-size' range - it still has plenty of room in the rear row of seats and is pretty good value for money.

7 seater family car - Sulphur Man

Is/was there an automatic petrol Mazda 5? If there was, it might prove rather rare....

Oh, just checked, the last version did come as a 2.0 auto.

Edited by Sulphur Man on 17/07/2012 at 10:18

7 seater family car - Bobbin Threadbare

Is/was there an automatic petrol Mazda 5? If there was, it might prove rather rare....

Oh, just checked, the last version did come as a 2.0 auto.

The diesels are the rarity - but you're looking at around £8-9k for a 58 plate with reasonable mileage.

7 seater family car - daveyK_UK

The best for space is surely a ssangyong rodius?

http://www.ssangyonggb.co.uk/Rodius-Overview?LeadPartner=Google&LeadOnlineMedium=PPC&

Nothing compares to it in terms of space for 7 seats and luggage

You could always consider a citroen dispatch combi but you wont get a lot of discount unless you push hard

http://www.citroen.co.uk/home/#/new-cars/car-range/citroen-dispatch-combi/