Sold at auction - V5 not filled in / signed by me - Sparky23

Hi,

I've just sold my car through BCA's Sure Sell service. The car was collected by a 3rd party. Before it was picked up I asked BCA whether I needed to fill in any part of the V5 before handing it over - i was told no (I presume because the car may not have sold and been returned to me).

Now it's sold I'm wondering how to dispose of my obligations. When I got the call from BCA informing me it had sold, I asked again about the V5 (un-signed by me). They just said all I had to do was wait for the cheque to arrive...

The tax is due at the end of this month and I want to cancel my insurance.

Should I write a letter to the DVLA stating the car's been sold to persons unknown? Bit worried about this; any advice appreciated.

Regards

Sold at auction - V5 not filled in / signed by me - oldroverboy

You got a receipt when the car was collected? write to dvla recorded delivery and tell them you sold the car on that date via bca suresell. keep your proof of postage just in case. simples! same for insurance,

Sold at auction - V5 not filled in / signed by me - Bobbin Threadbare

Sparky - I'm not sure whether you meant you handed the V5 over or the car; if you've still got the V5, fill in the yellow section of your V5 (V5C/3) and post that off. It's the only bit that needs doing and you don't need any other bits and bats with it.

If you haven't got the V5, ask for it back from Suresell or try to confirm they've posted it off, or apply to the DVLA for another one and then send the yellow bit.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 05/07/2012 at 15:35

Sold at auction - V5 not filled in / signed by me - pd

If you handed them the full V5 BCA will fill in the yellow section for you and hand the rest of the V5 to the new owner (if a trade buyer) or fill in the V5 if a private.

Providing you gave all the V5 to BCA they should do it all for you.

Do not apply for a new V5 as it will invalidate the current one and the new owner could then have comeback on you for not describing the car properly (i.e. describing the car as V5 present when it turns out to be invalid).

Sold at auction - V5 not filled in / signed by me - meldrew

A bit off topic but did you get a decent price in relation to the trade price and allowing for Suresell charges? HJ swears by them but I'm just not convinced over the arithmetic.

I don't know what the trade price would have been for it. Looking at Autotrader, if we'd gone down the private sale route we would have asked about £5500 (trade asking prices varying from £5K - £6.5K)

We were quoted £4700 - £4900 from SureSell, with the reserve set at £4.9K. Actually went for £5.1K so we'll realise the lower valuation, after charges.

So, yes, we're technically short of potential cash, but given it was collected from my work on Friday and sold by the Wednesday with zero hassle (apart from the V5 worry!), then we're happy with the outcome.

As an aside, we went the SureSell route after HJ's repeated praises.

Thanks for the responses. As a follow up....

I spoke to the selling BCA ste yesterday. They told me that the car went to a dealer along with the V5 and they have notified DVLA of this electronically. There is apparently no need for me to do anything except wait for the DVLA acknowledgement.

Given that this is their bread and butter, I'll give them the benefit of any doubt for the next 6 weeks, or so.

Sold at auction - V5 not filled in / signed by me - pd

If you post the details of the car I'll look up the CAP guide price for you.