Vauxhall Astra - 1.3CDTi - Does it have a DPF? And general opinions - iFocus
Hi,

Does any one know if the 1.3CDTi engine in the Astra has a DPF? The model I am looking at is the 2006 version and its in tax band D if that makes a difference?

Also is this a good engine? Does it have anything to look out for or is it a steer clear engine like the 1.9CDTi?

Thanks in advance,

BRG
Vauxhall Astra - 1.3CDTi - Does it have a DPF? And general opinions - gordonbennet

Have an extended test drive before buying, power drops off to almost nothing if the revs drop below about 2k RPM, too frustrating for me, you might be happy enough but make sure its torquey enough for you.

Vauxhall Astra - 1.3CDTi - Does it have a DPF? And general opinions - daveyjp
I followed one with four up at the weekend over the Yorkshire Wolds. Either the driver hadn't learnt how to use a gearbox, didn't know where the gas pedal was or it was seriously lacking in oomph as on hills it was really struggling.

I suspect a mixture of all three, which suggests you need to keep it spinning over and this won't be good for mpg.
Vauxhall Astra - 1.3CDTi - Does it have a DPF? And general opinions - focussed

"They`re good little engines that are used in all sorts of vehicles."

I beg to differ-they are a nasty little rattlebox with next to no torque for pulling out onto busy roundabouts when cold. A dangerous dog of an engine-sounds like a cement mixer full of castanets when cold and even worse when warm.

Wouldn't recommend one to my worst enemy.

Vauxhall Astra - 1.3CDTi - Does it have a DPF? And general opinions - Waino

The Astra 1.3 CDTi is a bit like Marmite - you either love it or hate it and people can rightly justify their own particular reasons; after all, my father still thinks that Gordon Brown is a good bloke!

I've written on here before about our 56 reg (Feb '07) 1.3 Astra estate and, as a now largely retired bloke, I think it's a fine, cheap to run, all-purpose vehicle. Last year, it took 4 adults plus a small mountain of luggage from Bury St Edmunds to Heathrow and back at 55mpg; and 55 to 58 is a typical summer month's mpg. In 28 months, I've taken it from 43k to 70k miles.

I do acknowledge Focussed's points and I should add that I live in flat, rural East Anglia, hence I tend not to mix it with urban congestion very often and I don't have steep ascents to make. In those circumstances, I would probably go for the 1.7 version. Pulling away at busy roundabouts in the 1.3 is not for the feint-hearted.

The only annoying point about it (IMHO) is the vibration at around 1700rpm that many have reported, although this has not got any more noticeable lately and I can ameliorate its effect by treating it as though I'm in too low a gear for the road speed.

By the way, although the engine is a bit noisy from the outside, whilst driving, the cabin is much quieter that my wife's 1.6 petrol Focus!

Vauxhall Astra - 1.3CDTi - Does it have a DPF? And general opinions - rpmmatt

They are great little motors. I bought mine as I using it as a work vehicle. Cover 75 miles per day all start stop urban and occasional A roads. Got it rather than the Astra Van as I wanted the seats.

In my work day I do 45-50mpg which is all stop start. Few weeks ago did a 2000 mile round trip camping holiday to France and Germany, up and down mountains with 3 blokes and a boot full of camping gear. No issues with power at all. Yes, there is no torque below 1700 rpm, but on the power band it pulls very weel for a small engine Those who say its dangerous at roundabouts are talking rubbish. The 1.3 has a 6 speed gearbox, so you can easily keep it in the power band. Motorway it cruises great between 60-90mph with no issues. On that 2000 miles managed 58mpg, which was sitting at 80mph most of the time.

Mine is a ex ADT fleet car and had full service history. Its done 120000 miles and last service only needed brake pads.

No cam belt, no DPF, £95 a year tax, insurance group 4, cheap as chips motoring. Even base models have aircon and elctric front windows as standard.

Lastly, lots of "Life" trim level models around(all ex fleet). But, you can retrofit any kit you want very easily as its all CANBUS electrics. So far, I fitted a 2nd hand upgraded head unit and screen, so I could activate the trip computer and have the Aux In plug for the stereo, I also fitted cruise control with just the new indicator stalk, and the OBD2 plug off ebay.

Edited by rpmmatt on 05/07/2012 at 21:03