Are Wood Pigeons and Rabbits - lack road awareness - MikeTorque

Has anyone else noticed that this year Wood Pigeons seem to have become more and more stupid and seem to be almost completely lacking in any type of road awareness ?

As for rabbits, well they'll always played chicken on country lanes in the evening around & after dark but now they've taken up the habit in bright daylight.

This week alone I've been had to brake and take avoiding action on several occasions to avoid hitting these birds as they stand on the road without a care in the world. Now if this were Heaven then I could understand they wouldn't have to fear anything and standing on the road would be fine, but in this world they are being killed as the feathers and bodies on the road testify. A blast with the hooter often works but headlights flashing are no use at all as they stand there like idiots as a 1+ton lump of UFO comes straight at them. I drove around 2 WPs yesterday and they were still standing on the road pecking away as I looked in my mirror.

The same goes for bunny rabbits, in the evening they stand on the road looking in one direction then just as you get closer to them they suddenly decide to run right across your side of the road, and what's more it's usually when there is no other traffic around apart from the one car/vehicle you happen to be driving.

Now I seemed to have developed some kind of built-in Wood Pigeon and Rabbit radar that seems to go off as soon as I'm within 1/4 mile or so of any type of wildlife that's on the road ahead of me

If I drive any slower I'll have the Mimsers flashing their lights at me and offering me free cups of caffeinated tea to drink to hurry me up as they slowly pass by !

Edited by MikeTorque on 23/06/2012 at 20:32

Are Wood Pigeons and Rabbits - lack road awareness - likerocks

It's just (un)natural selection. They're born without road sense and the ones who make it through the spring re the ones which learn quickly! The first 10 miles of my commute are along fast country roads and my 5am starts put me right in the middle of baby wildlife feeding time.

I try to treat the added hazard as a reminder to follow Roadcraft on otherwise empty roads. After 6 years of this routine, my score is just 2 pigeons and no rabbits.

Are Wood Pigeons and Rabbits - lack road awareness - bathtub tom

I don't swerve for anything unless I'm certain it won't compromise me.

Something coming the other way has probably more inertia than anything I'm likely to hit on my side.

Are Wood Pigeons and Rabbits - lack road awareness - daveyjp
Weight of car circa 1500kg, weight of pigeon 500g. I'm not braking!
Are Wood Pigeons and Rabbits - lack road awareness - Bromptonaut

As already stated lots of newly fledged birds around atm. No sense of danger at all.

Rabbits do seem to have some sort of instinct but it leads them to jink all over the place so the preadtor mis-times his strike. How many more hundreds of years before Darwinism promotes a strainn that run a straight line to the verge?

Are Wood Pigeons and Rabbits - lack road awareness - RT

Pheasants are worse - if they're on the other side of the road they're likely to "escape" by walking across to your side !!

Are Wood Pigeons and Rabbits - lack road awareness - SlidingPillar

Yup, I agree. Moved over for a pheasent which promptly turned back into my path.

Made quite a mess, feathers all over the suspension and very, very dead.

Are Wood Pigeons and Rabbits - lack road awareness - corax

Collared doves are the same. There's plenty of them around though, thanks to their breeding season lasting from March to October.

One description on the internet of their monotonous cooing sound said it is probably best remembered as 'I don't know'.

Sums it up for me.

Are Wood Pigeons and Rabbits - lack road awareness - veryoldbear

Many moons ago, I was proceeding along a country road at a leisurely pace, when Stupid Pheasant collided with me ... clunk, one dead pheasant. Oh goody, says I, game pate for supper, so I stops and leaps out and grabs the ex-pheasant.

At this point, I realise I have left the key in the ignition, engine running, and have locked myself out of the car ...

Oh b*****.

Are Wood Pigeons and Rabbits - lack road awareness - Bobbin Threadbare

Pheasants always feel the need to get closer and examine the noisy, bright fast thing hurtling towards them.

Just be careful about what you hit - a friend of a friend hit a goose and it wrote his car off.