Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - Bosieberry

Hi all,

I am new to this forum - first post!

We are currently looking to buy a new large estate car. I'm currently driving a 2007 Fiat Panda which was great when I was young and carefree; but now, 2 children later, I've truly outgrown it! So the search is on.

We want to get a spacious car with low emissions (tax band C or less) and good fuel economy (averaging 48 mpg in my Panda and want to get at least that). I'm mostly doing minor A and B roads in the country (plenty of potholes!) with some city traffic and a few longer journeys. As we have family in Germany the car should be comfortable for really long journeys, too. Budget around £25K.

We have test driven a few; and the VW Golf is out - their Bluemotion engine was absolutely gutless; less pull than the Panda! The Renault Megane is also out - it looked good on paper but really wasn't comfortable or easy to drive. Vauxhall Insignia - interior felt very cheap and just didn't appeal.

I liked the Ford Mondeo (1.6 TDCI econetic) but my husband thought it didn't have enough torque in the lower gears and it would be difficult to pull out at roundabouts etc.

So now we are down to the Toyota Avensis Tourer (2.0 D-4D engine) and the Hyundai i40 Tourer (1.7l 137bhp engine). My husband argues the Toyota will be more reliable and has a better satnav/DAB/whathaveyou; whereas I slightly preferred the Hyundai as the suspension was a lot better and it felt more comfortable to me.

Which is the better choice? Has anyone got/driven either and what is their experience? Are there any other contenders that we have overlooked?

I have also looked at the Renault Grand Scenic - i liked the drive and space, but not sure about reliability and the fact it's a people carrier... on the other hand, I don't want to rule out having another baby, so woiuld we end up needing a people carrier anyway or would a large estate do?

Many Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - RT

Reliability based on historical information may not give any real clue on future reliability.

Hyundai, as a brand, are in the ascendency with each new model significantly better than it's predecessor - unlike many previous models designed for world markets with inevitable compromises, the i40 is designed in Europe for the European market and lets the Americans have their own version as Sonata which suits their needs.

Most inbuilt satnavs seem to get criticised and they're all expensive to keep up-to-date with maps.

Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - Happy Blue!

I have not driven either car, but by recent reputation both are likley to be good long term purchases. It is likely to be down to personal preference. Try to get some 24 hour test drives and then decide.

I like built in Sat Nav; other think they are a waste of time. Chacun a son gout!

24 hour test drives?? I didn't know you could do that!

Have booked both cars for unattended 1 hour long test drives on Monday morning to get a direct comparison... hope that we can make up our mind then!

Test drive length depends how keen dealers/manufacturers are to sell specific models - it can vary from "not without ordering the car!" to a long weekend, and all points in between.

Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - concrete

Hello Bosieberry, with your budget you really have an enviable choice of cars. Try the Skoda Octavia estate or their Superb estate. Well worth a test drive. I have the Superb saloon my daughter has the Superb estate and my son has an Octavia estate. We all do about 25K miles per annum and are decent drivers. We don't do a lot of in town traffic, mainly A roads and motorways and we all get around the 50pmg from our diesel engines. Skoda gets my vote. Good luck with your search. Cheers Concrete

Thank you Concrete - sadly my dear husband is a bit of a snob and won't consider a Skoda.

Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - Mrbluesky

This is a very timely discussion if ever there was one.

I too was in a similar position re growing family and after careful consideration opted for a Skoda Superb Elegance 170 with just about every extra you could have on a car. Pound for pound it made excellent sense. I even wrote a review on the car (see for yourself).

The only problem I had was the leather seats. They were shockingly uncomfortable. I stuck with it for six week and then....no more! My coccyx was in a right mess. I could bearly sit down and following a visit to the chiro, the car seat was named as the culprit.

I was genuinely disappointed as I thoought that the Superb was just that. Lots of toys, acres of space, and with upgraded Luna 18" wheels it looked great in black. As I still needed a load lugger I went to view the Avensis Tourer 2.0D T4.

Instant comort! Granted not as many gimmics or toys, but it has everything that we will need as a family for years to come. Impressive too was the £30 per year tax disk, 5 years warranty, and the £87 refund I received from the Insurance company.

The avensis is a cracking drive. Quiet, refined and not at all wallowy. Good road manners and most of all,..... comfortable seats! I could go on but wont. At this stage though and whilst I was in the area I did return to the supplying dealer of the Superb anfd explained why I was ditching the brand after only six weeks. Whilst in the show room I sat in a green line Superb with fabric upholstery and low and behold.... seat was a delight.

So in summary, I maintain that the Skoda Superb is a fantastic car - just avoid the all leather seats and go for either fabric or the half leather option.

I am definatley not a racing driver and safety and reliabilty being at the top of my agenda for the family, the Avensis was a wise move and it looks pretty near in the Tourer guise with Gunmetal 17" alloys. As I travel inro 15k miles per year with work, it also has to hold its own on the motorway where it is sprightly, sure footed and with minimal road noise it is a rather nice place to be.

Good luck with the deliberations.

Edited by Mrbluesky on 25/06/2012 at 16:50

Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - tommoynihan

Mrbluesky - I'm looking for a black Skoda Superb. On the basis that that it was only the seat that was causing you problems (and assuming that my back is different !) could you let me know what dealer is selling your ex-car ?

Thanks.

Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - ChannelZ

Both are good choices, to me it'd be down to whichever has the better dealer nearby.

We have an i30, bought new 2 years ago yesterday. It was in yesterday for it's second service, and it's been reliable. There have been a few niggles with it, but they've been fixed first time without fuss by the dealer.

First issue was the central locking who occasionally lock you out of the car on the driver's door, turned out to be the lock button binding - fixed under warranty.

Second issue was a koncking in the suspension, fixed first time on a recall.

Third issue was a rattle behind the dash, present from new. It's got worse, so they looked at it yesterday but couldn't fix it. It's booked in on 2nd July to have the whole dash removed, courtesy car provided FOC. I fully expect them to fix it, going by previous jobs.

Servicing isn't cheap on the Hyundai, though. 1st service was £99, 2nd service was £212 as they replace everything (plugs, all filters, oil, pollen filter, etc), which was a surprise to me as I'm used to Vauxhall and Ford who expect 60k out of plugs and air/pollen filters.

I drive an Astra now, it's more expensive to buy, but WAY cheaper to run, servicing and parts are much cheaper than the Hyundai.

Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - KB.

"Servicing isn't cheap on the Hyundai, though. 1st service was £99, 2nd service was £212 as they replace everything (plugs, all filters, oil, pollen filter, etc), which was a surprise to me as I'm used to Vauxhall and Ford who expect 60k out of plugs and air/pollen filters".

My Hyundai i10 would cost, according to two local Hyundai dealers, £136, £295 and £165 for services at years one, two and three. My Skoda dealer, however, charges considerably less for my Yeti.

That's a good point - I'll have to ask about servicing costs/intervals for both cars.

Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - wrangler_rover

I drive a 2 litre diesel Avensis T2 (lowest specification) tourer as a company car.

Great, comfortable, I chose the basic specification on purpose for the steel wheels and the higher profile tyres for a more comfortable ride. The car is March 2009, it now has 136k miles, mainly motorway miles and averages 56 mpg. It swallows a huge load, I carried a single bed in the back with the back seats folded down, it has a flat load deck and hidden storage compartments under the boot floor.

On the minus side, one of the electronic parking brake actuators failed at 68k miles but that is a component failure and I guess would be just as likely to fail on any other car with such a system. The clutch had to be replaced at 73k miles, I put the premature clutch wear on the self release electronic parking brake, if you become lazy and use the self release instead of releasing it manually, the engine is fighting the parking brake via the clutch which leads to increased clutch wear.

My verdict on the Avensis Tourer, does everything it says on the tin, not going to set the workd on fire but starts first time every time.

Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - craig-pd130

56mpg is excellent for such a big car. Is the T2 lower power output?

What does it give you around town / urban work, out of interest?

Thank you for sharing your experience, wrangler_rover! That's impressive mpg you're getting...

Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - gordonbennet

''On the minus side, one of the electronic parking brake actuators failed at 68k miles but that is a component failure and I guess would be just as likely to fail on any other car with such a system. The clutch had to be replaced at 73k miles, I put the premature clutch wear on the self release electronic parking brake, if you become lazy and use the self release instead of releasing it manually, the engine is fighting the parking brake via the clutch which leads to increased clutch wear.''

At last, i wondered how long it would be till someone else realised this.

I drove car transporters for donkeys years till recently, and could feel the amount of torque that needed to be applied each and every time the car automatically released the electric handbrake, there was only one place this increased torque was coming from and that was via the clutch.

I really like the Avensis, apart from the electric handbrake, quite why conservative Toyota went down this dubious route i can't quite understand, it will (probably) be the reason i don't buy one in due course, a quality built car though.

Hyundai seems a good car, and is likely to be totally reliable, probably every bit as good as the Toyota.

Couple of points though, traditionally Hyundais have suffered heavy depreciation, secondly servicing over a 5 year or your potential ownership period needs to be worked out, together with compariing other costs, eg tyres and usual non warranty replacements like discs and pads and any all imprtant cambelt (if fitted) changes.

The Hyundai might well make a very good used purchase when 3 years old, like Sonata, but might be an expensive depreciator for the first owner, like Sonata.

Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - Roly93

First issue was the central locking who occasionally lock you out of the car on the driver's door, turned out to be the lock button binding - fixed under warranty.

Second issue was a koncking in the suspension, fixed first time on a recall.

Third issue was a rattle behind the dash, present from new. It's got worse, so they looked at it yesterday but couldn't fix it. It's booked in on 2nd July to have the whole dash removed, courtesy car provided FOC. I fully expect them to fix it, going by previous jobs.

I wouldn't call these a few niggles actually. I have had 3 Audis either from new or from nearly new, and this is more faults than all 3 cars put together. We have a 3 year old Focus and this has only suffered from a rattly heat-shield. I like the look of the newer Hyundais but this would concern me.

Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - Avant

Welcome to the forum, Bosieberry. I agree with Concrete - add one of the Skodas to the shortlist, depending on how big a car you need. The Octavia is adequate for rear legroom but the luggage area is huge; the Superb is huge in both. Customer surveys show a great many satisfied Skoda owners (including me).

I haven't tried either of your named contenders, although the road tests that I've seen bear out your opinion that the Hyundai is a bit better to drive, the Toyota not very exciting but very dependable.

Do you do at least 15,000 miles a year? If not, consider a petrol engine, which may be cheaper overall and won't have a problem with clogged particulate filters if you drive a lot in town.

Edited by Avant on 22/06/2012 at 00:51

Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - wrangler_rover

To continue with my 56 mpg fuel consumption, I do mainly motorway miles, I don't tear around, I read the road and try not to accelerate & brake hard and I cruise at 70 on motorways. The on board computer shows 56 mpg, I calculate every fill up on a spreadsheet and the computer is reasonably accurate. When I fill up and drive around town for 100 or so miles, the computer shows low 40s mpg. On the subject of tyres, the vehicle is leased so I have no say on what tyres are fitted but for front tyres:

The factory fitted Bridgestones lasted 37.5k miles.

The next ones were Michelin Energy, lasted 56k miles

The next ones were made by Dunlop, lasted 41k miles

It is now on Continentals on the front.

Hi Avant, thanks for the welcome. I do about 10K miles currently; but as the new car would also be used as family car for longer journeys (which at the moment we do in my husband's car) the mileage would go up quite a bit. I don't do a lot of town driving - it's mainly A and B roads to get to the towns (or even just a supermarket!) as we are in a semi-rural location.
Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - skidpan

Bosieberry

About 2 years ago we were in the market for a largish estate to replace our C-Max. We looked at most alternatives and drove quite a few. The Toyota Avensis was probably the pick of what we drove but unfortunately all the dealers were so incompetent we were unable to try one with the diesel engine we wanted, the petrol version they were trying to sell us was gutless. The price made our eyes water a bit as well but deals could be found.

The Skoda Octavia was pretty good but there was no way the wife could comfortably drive it due to a lever under the steering column. Too much essential safety kit was extra cash plus although the boot was huge a spare cost extra cash (again), put that in with a raised boot floor and you lost a large bit of that space.

After several weeks of looking we dropped into our local Kia dealer. They had a Ceed SW (their estate version) on the forecourt and it ticked all our boxes plus it was way cheaper than anything else we had looked at. The boot was simply huge (it even had a spare), almost as big as a Mondeo Estate, plus the interior has plenty of space. They lent us one for a couple of hours and we were convinced, the 7 year warranty was nice to have as well.

18,000 miles later we are still convinced we bought the right car. We have had no problems and servicing was reasonably priced. We have the 1.6 CRDi 115 bhp model, performance is great and we have averaged 50 mpg (calculated) since we got the car.

A new Ceed SW is due in September, if you are happy buying a car that is at the end of its life span there are some terrific deals available.

Have a look, you may well be surprised, we were.

PS Hyundai and Kia are basically one company, most components have both logo's on them.

Edited by skidpan on 24/06/2012 at 21:16

PS Hyundai and Kia are basically one company, most components have both logo's on them.

Because Kia had no funds for new development, all their models (except the Sedona) are now based on the equivalent Hyundai - the outside sheet metal will differ but the platform and everything underneath is the same.

Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - Avant

That's quite useful knowledge isn't it - it's what I thought but good to have it confirmed. It means that customers for new cars have a better chance of finding a dealer near them - Kia or Hyundai, selling much the same car.

Going back to the original question - if the Kia Ceed is similar to the Hyundai i30, it must be smaller than the i40 which is on Bosieberry's shortlist.

Edited by Avant on 24/06/2012 at 23:50

That's quite useful knowledge isn't it - it's what I thought but good to have it confirmed. It means that customers for new cars have a better chance of finding a dealer near them - Kia or Hyundai, selling much the same car.

Going back to the original question - if the Kia Ceed is similar to the Hyundai i30, it must be smaller than the i40 which is on Bosieberry's shortlist.

The simplest way to view Hyundai and Kia is to think of the VW group, same car with different bodies.

With regards to size the Ceed SW is way bigger than the old i30 (not looked at the new i30, it may be bigger). We looked at both, the old i30 had a luggage capacity of about 430 litres but the Ceed SW has 535 litres plus a huge box under the boot floor that is probably about another 20 litres, as I said its almost as big as a Mondeo Estate and bigger than a Passat and Avensis.

The i40 is just slightly bigger than the Ceed SW at 553 litres but if it does not have any under floor starage its going to be a draw.

Edited by skidpan on 25/06/2012 at 08:54

Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - Max the Dog
Have to say i'm very surprised to read that a 'badge snob' will consider a Hyundai but not a Skoda!
Thats not snobbery, thats just a total lack of car knowledge!

I'd take the Avensis. Toyota's are painfully dull (I used to work in a Toyota dealership!) but the Avensis is a worthy car and a pleasant drive. And that mpg is absolutely achievable without any worries. In fact I once had a customer complain because his car was 'only' managing 54mpg when he had been doing nearer 60mpg apparently. All we could do was point out the car was achieving book figures! He still wasn't happy though!

The simplest way to view Hyundai and Kia is to think of the VW group, same car with different bodies.

With regards to size the Ceed SW is way bigger than the old i30 (not looked at the new i30, it may be bigger). We looked at both, the old i30 had a luggage capacity of about 430 litres but the Ceed SW has 535 litres plus a huge box under the boot floor that is probably about another 20 litres, as I said its almost as big as a Mondeo Estate and bigger than a Passat and Avensis.

The i40 is just slightly bigger than the Ceed SW at 553 litres but if it does not have any under floor starage its going to be a draw.

Hyundai and Kia know that competing against each other is pointless but it's not clear, globally, how they intend to align their brands against the competition - nor indeed how they'll align a 3rd brand in their determination to move into the premium sector. They've studied both the VAG structure of brands and the Toyota/Lexus structure but haven't decided, publicly at least, how their own group will be structured.

I've not looked at i30, Ceed and i40 in comparative detail but spacing them at half-size steps rather than competing head-on is an excellent strategy.

Just had a look at the Kia pricelist for the outgoing SW. The "2" CRDi 115 is £14445 of the road but if you want a few extra toys like 17" wheels, climate instead of A/C, rear privacy glass, reversing sensors etc. the price goes up to £15545. No doubt the dealers would negotiate on those figures to bring them down further.

Thats less than we paid 2 years ago and probably more than £6000 less than the competition.
Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - thunderbird
Just had a look at the Kia pricelist for the outgoing SW. The "2" CRDi 115 is £14445 of the road but if you want a few extra toys like 17" wheels, climate instead of A/C, rear privacy glass, reversing sensors etc. the price goes up to £15545. No doubt the dealers would negotiate on those figures to bring them down further. Thats less than we paid 2 years ago and probably more than £6000 less than the competition.

We have a Ceed SW CRDi. Done about 16,000 miles in it. Totally reliable and incredibly spacious. Averaged just over 50 mpg so far. Good on long runs especially with the standard cruise control. At the prices quoted above I would buy another on today without hesitation. Complete bargain.

Whilst checking on something else, I discovered that Hyundai Motor Group is the 4th largest car manufacturer in the world, beaten only by Toyota, Volkswagen and GM in that order.

I didn't realise that Hyundai overtook Ford for car production in 2009 - and all vehicle production in 2010.

Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - daveyK_UK
I would go for the Toyota.
I have worked for a Hyundai dealership, and while the cars where and some models sitll are good value, the parts list and servicing costs are some of the highest around.
Also, they have taken their focus away from reliability and put the focus on style and design.
The Hyundai/Kia marque is no longer built as reliably as before, they have added complex systems to the cars.
Say what you want about the old sonata, accent, lantra, matrix, etc - but they where very reliable and straight forward to work on.
The rare occasion they did go wrong, you would need to source the parts from a dealer or ebay USA could sometimes be cheaper.
A small independent parts supplier did spring up at the start of the century selling cheap copy parts, I found them to be just as good, especially for servicable items.
Maybe the parts list was so high because they rarely sold any replacement parts, that was certainly the experience.

To repeat, the old hyundais, while being 'ugly' (subjective) and having no 'soul' (objective), where ultra reliable.
I have seen many a Hyundai Accent 1.3 hit over 150,000 miles. I witnessed many on there original cambelt where thew owner hasnt bothered with the replacement and the belt has finally snapped around 130,000 - 150,000.
In the states, its common for petrol automatic sonatas to hit 250,000 km on the orginal clutch and auto box.

From what I read and the people I speak to, the new generation of Hyundai's have followed the mistakes of Nissan and Toyota (ableit in Toyotas case only for a short while) in putting design ahead of reliability.
Hyundai/Kia need to remember, their original customer base purchased their cars for value and reliability, they will lose them to the soon to arrive chinese manufacturers and Dacia if they are not careful.
The last of the 'good old' Hyundai/Kia's was probably the Rio which was recently replaced.
Uninspiring, but straight forward and reliable.

Welcome to the Chinese and Dacia.
Toyota Avensis vs Hyundai i40 - bear807
I think your husband better try out the skoda superb greenline estate with dsg gearbox before thinking as a brand snob, that is the best skoda ever build so far, the only skoda which is built not compromise of cost. with most of the parts being from vag group, in any day it is much better than Hyundai and Kia. Not that I don't like Koreans, they might be improve, but all I can say is just design and visual aspects, engineering bit might be a leap forward but I seriously don't want to be a white mice. 10 years down the road the Hyundai Value will definitely lesser than the skoda. Hyundai group just get to aggressive this day, I always relate " budget" to Hyundai, right now they try to sell their car same or more expensive than their rivals which I find it ridiculous, think abit too high about themselves. The whole Hyundai brand "revolution" start as early as Getz era, but the proper one begins from I series. Look at those bunch of used car now, their depreciation gone a lot and the used market of Korean car, consumers
Don't seem to penetrate well.