VW Golf 1.9 SDI E (V Reg, 99) - Should I sell my broken car to my mechanic? - Calum_H

Hi,

I put my car to my mechanic with a serious issue with the car burning oild and ideling cat low revs.

He had a look and said there is a problem with a cylinder and suspects a hole in a piston. He is not sure so would have to look further and dosn't think it makes commercial sense.

One of his employees at the garage is however intrested in buying the car from me and fixing it.

The car has done 160k miles and is running, just did a 300 mile round trip last weekend but dosn't sound good. It also burnt off 5l of oil on that trip so I have no doubt there is a major problem.

So whats everyones thoughts, whats it worth in this condition?

For info:

Mot expires in Sep

Taxed for (10 months - worth £160)

New starter motor

New altinator

New power stering hose

Thanks in advance!

VW Golf 1.9 SDI E (V Reg, 99) - Should I sell my broken car to my mechanic? - unthrottled

£150? Basically, slightly more than scrap.

Even with the engine repaired (and that is going to be quite a lot of labour), it wouldn't be worth £1000. The SDI engine is not highly sought after.

VW Golf 1.9 SDI E (V Reg, 99) - Should I sell my broken car to my mechanic? - Calum_H

£150? Basically, slightly more than scrap.

Even with the engine repaired (and that is going to be quite a lot of labour), it wouldn't be worth £1000. The SDI engine is not highly sought after.

So what is the scrap value of this car, £100?

I assume you mean £150 + £160 for tax?

Thanks!

Edited by Calum_H on 18/06/2012 at 12:18

VW Golf 1.9 SDI E (V Reg, 99) - Should I sell my broken car to my mechanic? - gordonbennet

Probably not worth rebuilding the engine, but if the rest of the car is in good nick and you like it why not source a good used engine from a write off.

Probably not worth rebuilding the engine, but if the rest of the car is in good nick and you like it why not source a good used engine from a write off.

Did think off that but to be honest I need a new car anyway as its just getting to old plus I think that getting it fitted could be expensive.

VW Golf 1.9 SDI E (V Reg, 99) - Should I sell my broken car to my mechanic? - motorprop

You have until the end of the month to redeem the road tax

Stick it on Ebay with full description of faults / new parts and see what somebody will pay for it. If it runs its worth more than basic £150 scrap ?

VW Golf 1.9 SDI E (V Reg, 99) - Should I sell my broken car to my mechanic? - unthrottled

If it runs its worth more than basic £150 scrap ?

An engine will 'run' with a holed piston, but you could hardly call it operational. I'd say £100 basic scrap +£50 because it's a diesel-albeit naturally aspirated.

Thanks for the replys folks.

I sold for £250 and I took the £160 tax off - happy with that.