Peugeot 205 - Is It Leaking? - BritishF1
If anyone can help please...

I'm interested in buying this Pugeot 205 XS 1.4 1991 J Reg, but was concerned if there was a water leak in it. I looked in the boot and the wading stuff in right-hand side corner near the rear seats was a b it wet and there was a bit dampness under the mat of the left-hand side seat and a bit under some of the others. There is a bit condensation, but not a lot, mainly due to the cold wheather, and it looks as if it clears when the sun is out. The condensation is expected. It is nothing compared to the leak my 1990 Ford Fiesta, hence why i'm looking for a new car. The Pugeot has been rarely used as the guy selling is still learning to drive. The car is up for £795, but he will take £600 and i think i'm happy to pay this if it is worth it. But i'm not sure whether it is worth buying this car cos this could be a water leak. I like the car, but a bit concerned. Does anyone have any advice for me please? Thanks.
Peugeot 205 - Is It Leaking? - Andrew-T
We had a thread on this a month or two back. Some tailgates can develop a leak, which can only escape from two holes at bottom corners. Unfortunately this drains *into* the car, wetting the soundproofing under the boot mat, and ultimately accumulating under the rear seats. However measures can be taken to prevent this, and there is no need to fear rust in my experience. It may be worth a more thorough look under the floor carpets if you can remove one or two clips and feel underneath. If the car has a decent record, go for it - should be lots of fun. More important to check things like cambelt and CV joints.
Peugeot 205 - Is It Leaking? - BritishF1
Thanks for the reply. There is no rust, just the soundproofing a bit damp in the corner and slightly under a few of the mats. Probably cos it is parked on a hill. Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone could tell me the best way to fix such a problem. How to stop the water coming in and thru these holes in the tailgate? Can anybody help?
Peugeot 205 - Is It Leaking? - Andrew-T
First you will have to convince yourself that water IS getting in at the tailgate - it may have just had a window left open by mistake. Also I should think a carwash could cause problems, and I suppose another possibility is a leak from the rear screen washer pipe. Come to think of it, I have seen one or two cases of a leak from the washer-bottle (in boot) if it is filled above the screw holes - that would make the underfelt damp on the right-hand side.

I think it would be unusual for the tailgate glass to leak as it is bonded - more likely a leak round the wiper spindle or the lock plate. You might be able to find out by removing the inside tailgate trim panel and getting someone to spray the car. I couldn't be bothered to do that, I put heavy polythene with Sticky Fixers over those 2 drain holes so that any water in the tailgate could drain past the weatherstrip onto the bumper.

Are the rear quarter-lights on the XS watertight?