VW Golf Sport TSi 140 DSG - Turbo Failure causing Engine Destruction - spannerman

The car was taken to a garage with intermittent reduced power problem.

After lengthy daignosis the mechatronic unit was deemed to be the culprit and needed replacement.

Advised to use car until the parts arrived.

After a few days the car came to an abrupt stop whilst being driven.

the car was eventually recoved to the original garage.

the diagnosis now is that

the turbo nut came loose,

entered the super charger ,

causing the engine to decellerate rapidly

putting a strain on the timing chains and

causing the valves to hit the pistons.

Cost of Repair around £8000

My question is , does this sound a reasonable explanation in your opinion.

Any comments gratefully received.

Car mileage around 47000, Model Year 2007

VW Golf Sport TSi 140 DSG - Turbo Failure causing Engine Destruction - injection doc

sadly this engine is prone to failing, normally a piston that breaks 1st !

They have actually stopped production of this arrangement as they were so unreliable .

I would seek advice as the garage could be liable if they suggested you use it , as there diagnosis may of been wrong to start with.

This may require an independant inspection. 50-60000 miles is normally the average for these engines to let go.

I have never experinced a nut coming undone on a turbo whilst in use so had the garage been playing ?

VW Golf Sport TSi 140 DSG - Turbo Failure causing Engine Destruction - unthrottled

I didn't think the 140hp 1.4 engine was twincharged.

VW Golf Sport TSi 140 DSG - Turbo Failure causing Engine Destruction - Happy Blue!

"I have never experinced a nut coming undone on a turbo whilst in use so had the garage been playing ?"

I have. Strange rattle on start up 24 hours after a 200mile quiet motorway journey in a Sabb LPT. AA had no idea, until I looked under the bonnet whist the mechanic started the engine. Asked for a socket set and tightened up two bolts.

VW Golf Sport TSi 140 DSG - Turbo Failure causing Engine Destruction - galileo

The OP was told it was "the" turbo nut. This implies it was the nut securing the compressor wheel to the shaft, this is in the centre of the compressor inlet and would be ingested IF it came loose. To guard against, this, these nuts are usually a left hand thread and/or self locking so very unlikely.

Unlikely a seized turbo would stop an engine instantly. Broken vanes etc could damage pistons and valves if ingested, but was the turbo damaged in this way?

VW Golf Sport TSi 140 DSG - Turbo Failure causing Engine Destruction - spannerman

The OP was told it was "the" turbo nut. This implies it was the nut securing the compressor wheel to the shaft, this is in the centre of the compressor inlet and would be ingested IF it came loose. To guard against, this, these nuts are usually a left hand thread and/or self locking so very unlikely.

Unlikely a seized turbo would stop an engine instantly. Broken vanes etc could damage pistons and valves if ingested, but was the turbo damaged in this way?

It is, as you say, the nut retaining the turbine they have implied that 'came loose' and entered the super charger.

This supposedly stopped the engine, the timing chains jumped and pistons and valves collided.

@ injection doc, Many Thanks for your reply.

I can't imagine VW are going to admit to problems with this engine ?

If you could direct me to where I could find more about the engine failure I would be most grateful.

How do I go about an independant inspection ?

thanks again, injection doc

Edited by spannerman on 29/05/2012 at 23:56

VW Golf Sport TSi 140 DSG - Turbo Failure causing Engine Destruction - injection doc

http://www.yell.com/motoring/blog/vw-audi-groups-1-4-tsi-engine-known-issues/

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=89334

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=88869

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=95584

Final diagnostics back from the dealership, cracked piston, broken piston rings, scored bore. Reason unknown, but getting complete engine minus ancillaries.

I've done my own research, *some* online information is pointing to a problem with the crankshaft bearings in the 1.4 TSI engines which then "de-centre" the piston(s) causing the failure.

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/liste-aller-motorsc...

Final diagnostics back from the dealership, cracked piston, broken piston rings, scored bore. Reason unknown, but getting complete engine minus ancillaries.

I've done my own research, *some* online information is pointing to a problem with the crankshaft bearings in the 1.4 TSI engines which then "de-centre" the piston(s) causing the failure.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f112/golf-118-tsi-engine-failures-resolved-via-service-campaign-24s4-44540-48.html

if you want to see a disintigrated TSi engine

http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23481

I would contact the AA or RAC for an independant engineers report for them to decide if the nut came loose on the turbo. It runs in the oposite direction so shouldnt come loose unless there was alraedy a failure of some sort , in which case the garage should of been more observant first.

Yours didnt suck up water did it ? like the one above due to low air intake ? could be insurance job if it did !

Edited by injection doc on 30/05/2012 at 12:01

VW Golf Sport TSi 140 DSG - Turbo Failure causing Engine Destruction - Collos25

Sounds like an incompetent garage trying and suceeding in getting out of a fault they created and charging you dreamland figures for the priviledge.

VW Golf Sport TSi 140 DSG - Turbo Failure causing Engine Destruction - daveyjp
Mechatronic unit failing would lead to very jerky set offs and possibly stalling, but I never experienced any power loss when mine went on a DSG diesel.
Mechatronic unit failing would lead to very jerky set offs and possibly stalling, but I never experienced any power loss when mine went on a DSG diesel.

It was as if (had it been a manual box) it was changing to too high a gear. If that makes sense, Say from1st to 4th.
So not really power loss but wouldn't accellerate.
The only thing is it would do the same whilst in top gear ??
So presumably not a gear change fault.

I 2nd that one Collas25.

Needs taking away from the garage and find someone competent

I would like to thank you all for your help and support with this matter.

It isn't going too well at the moment but the information you have provided has proved invaluable.

Can I ask one other question,

In your opinion or experience , would a juddering gearbox contribute to either

1) A nut on the turbo (the one holding turbine on) coming loose.

2) Damage or stretching of the timing chain(s)

Many Thanks

VW Golf Sport TSi 140 DSG - Turbo Failure causing Engine Destruction - madf

NO to both questions.

and another no to both questions.

I know how jerky and snatchy these cars get driving at low speed, but the timming chains should be able to handle that.

It sounds like your being bombarded with waffle.

Quite simply you took your car in for investigating a fault, garage failed to correctly diagnose, told you to use it, you did and it blew up ! end off.

In court it would not go well for the garage as you were paying the garage for a correct fault diagnosis and the courts would look upon the garage as making sure they did the job properly or gave you the correct advice !

I think the engine needs examining by an expert to established what failed first ! usually its a piston that cracks and bit fly off around the turbo ! causing servere mechanical distress

and another no to both questions.

I know how jerky and snatchy these cars get driving at low speed, but the timming chains should be able to handle that.

It sounds like your being bombarded with waffle.

Quite simply you took your car in for investigating a fault, garage failed to correctly diagnose, told you to use it, you did and it blew up ! end off.

In court it would not go well for the garage as you were paying the garage for a correct fault diagnosis and the courts would look upon the garage as making sure they did the job properly or gave you the correct advice !

I think the engine needs examining by an expert to established what failed first ! usually its a piston that cracks and bit fly off around the turbo ! causing servere mechanical distress

The garage claim:-

they correctly diagnosed the mechatronic unit and it was on order.

Advised use of car until parts etc were available.

The subsequent damge to the engine is in no way connected to anything they did or the use of the car with the mechatronic fault.

Hence my 'quest' to find some sort of connection between the two events.

Again I thank you for your help.

http://www.autobild.de/

VW put their hands up to timing chain issues with the 1.4TSi engine !!!

Bump

VW Golf Sport TSi 140 DSG - Turbo Failure causing Engine Destruction - daveyjp
Mechatronic unt failure in my Audi resulted in the car being left at the dealership for the 3 weeks until it was fixed.
Mechatronic unt failure in my Audi resulted in the car being left at the dealership for the 3 weeks until it was fixed.

Hello, Was it their suggestion it stayed off the road or yours ? Or an instruction from Audi ?

Thanks