Skoda Fabia - Brakes binding - Firespit

Hi

I have a 2009 Skoda Fabia Greenline. Today I went to start it after it had been stationary for 4 days and it would seem that the rear nearside brake has bound on. The car now won't move. What can I do?! I need to move it!

Skoda Fabia - Brakes binding - gordonbennet

Assuming drum parking brake, you should be able to free it off by a bit of force, reverse is usually best, if you don;t want to give the clutch too much hammer you could pull it backwards with a substantial vehicle, 4x4 in low would be perfect.

If it won't have it then suggest you remove the wheel and give the drum a few sharp clouts with a hammer, that should break the rust seal which is probably the problem following the severe prolonged drought..;)

Not sure if you can release the adjusters to help without removing the drum (cue obvious quips along the lines of if i could get the drum off etc), consult a Haynes for better info...hopefully you won't need to go that far.

Skoda Fabia - Brakes binding - unthrottled

I often have this problem. Shoes/drums are positive engagement, meaning that once the shoe bites the drum, the harder you try to move against it, the harder the shoe is pressed into the drum. Try to pull in the opposite direction of the braking force, so it you're parked facing uphill, use first and rock it off.

Thanks for the tip

Thanks for the tip