VW polo 1.2 TDI SE Grey - Selling Car (VW Polo 2011) - cheddarcheek

Hi all,

Looking for some quick advice. I'm going to be selling my dad's car for him in the next couple of weeks. I have been looking around for guidelines etc in terms of pricing.

I am aware generally you get a better price selling privately. My father is wary of selling it privately due to his apprehension that people won't spend that kind of money privately on a car just over one year old (60 plate). Is privately the best method for the type and age of car? He's begun to put doubts in my head now!

Thanks in advance!

VW polo 1.2 TDI SE Grey - Selling Car (VW Polo 2011) - MikeTorque

It's worth shopping around and getting quotes from different dealerships, they vary a lot with prices varying up to £1600, best prices are for excellent condition trades-ins and not necessarily from a VW dealership. You can try a private sale but punters want bargains and the Polo 1.2 TDI SE in Grey isn't the easiest to sell as the engine is gruff/noisy between 1300 to 1900 revs although Shell V-power does quieten it down a little, it is economical to run though but overgeared.

Parkers show a good price guide so it's worth checking out prices there, also Glasses offer more accurate prices for a small charge, much of the Trade uses Glasses.

VW polo 1.2 TDI SE Grey - Selling Car (VW Polo 2011) - tony g
Hi ,
It's difficult to sell such a new car privately ,unless you're selling it substantially cheaper-than the dealers asking price .

The only thing you have to offer is price ,dealers offer finance and part exchange,making it easier to buy a car from them .

Check the price that dealers are asking for cars like yours ,you need to be substantially less than their asking price .It could be that the price you would have to ask is low enough to make it worth selling direct to the dealer .

Don't forget the potential risks and hassle involved in selling a car privately .

Dodgy payment ,theft ,strangers at your home etc .It's not easy .

Good luck

Tony g

Edited by tony g on 17/04/2012 at 00:08

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I'm aware of the potential pitfuls of selling privately. From what I can find from research, most of the cars of the same model and similar mileage (car has 7800 on the clock, 2 fixed price services to go, only one skiff on wheel trim, metallic paint, and front fog lights with the cornering function) for 11,995 at dealerships. I was thinking at pricing it at 10,995 with a bottom bottom price of 10,400.

Are there 'best' places to advertise?

Thanks again!

VW polo 1.2 TDI SE Grey - Selling Car (VW Polo 2011) - bathtub tom

If you want £10,400, then why not advertise it at that and accept no lower offers?

That way you'll attract more interest. It works for me.

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Ideally I would do that. However I keep reading about advice for setting a price which isn't too high to make people skim by it, nor too low to avoid someone trying to haggle and I end way, way under the price I had in mind. I would love to do a quick sell without all the haggles etc, but I know in most cases that won't be possible. I'm not expecting dealer type prices, but I don't want people under the illusion that I'm game for being ripped off.

If someone suggests a check (which is fine), and they have a garage in mind, is it possible for me to say that it's done at an AA/RAC centre and that way there's no room in either's mind for mate's/friends helping them out?

Seems if it's done that way then the garage is not known to either party. Good/Bad idea?

I find that if you set the price at a realistic level then the first to come will be dealers. You then get a much better idea of its real price by what they offer.

I usually advertise as any trial or inspection welcome. If they turn up with a valid insurance certificate for driving other vehicles(check on MID) they can drive it, but I don't pass the key until I'm in the passenger seat. If they want it checked at a mate's garage, no problem.

Get someone to ring while they're looking at it and let them hear you say 'there's someone looking at it at the moment, I'll call you back'. Concentrates a buyer's mind wonderfully!

You've no chance of getting between £10,995 to £10,400 at a dealership unless you're purchasing another car. VW dealers work on around a £2k markup on prices for newish VW Polos.

Prices are around £10,100 for a perfect example with a px, metalic paint, fog lights, service plans etc make no difference to the price, otherwise you're looking more towards sub-£10k prices.

I wasn't expecting that from a dealer, I was talking about privately.

Dealer got back today offering 9 on the button. We buy any car offered 9128.00

I thought online sites were meant to buy cheaper than the dealer??

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance!

VW polo 1.2 TDI SE Grey - Selling Car (VW Polo 2011) - carl_a

Dealer got back today offering 9 on the button. We buy any car offered 9128.00

Any opinions?

Grab that offer with both hands, you'll be waiting a long time if you're expecting 10k.

Shop around a bit more, it's early days yet. It's worth getting a quote from Glasses as you should eventually find someone who will price match their quote or exceed them if they have someone waiting for a Polo 1.2 TDI in Grey, although not having a trade/px makes it more difficult.

Have you considered a Motor Auction ?

VW polo 1.2 TDI SE Grey - Selling Car (VW Polo 2011) - brum

The OFT has taken enforcement action against used car buying company webuyanycar.com over concerns that its online valuations were misleading.

An OFT investigation found that nearly 96 per cent* of customers who sold their car to webuyanycar.com received less for their vehicle than the original website valuation, sometimes by hundreds of pounds.

Consumers were given the impression that they would be paid the online valuation if the company's onsite inspection matched the condition entered by the seller online. But once at the appointment, some customers found that other factors reduced the final price from the headline valuation, including 'market conditions'. The OFT also found that vehicle inspectors were set targets regarding the purchase of vehicles, sometimes to reduce the valuation offered by up to 25 per cent, upon reappraisal.

www.oft.gov.uk/news-and-updates/press/2011/46-11

Edited by brum on 18/04/2012 at 23:00

VW polo 1.2 TDI SE Grey - Selling Car (VW Polo 2011) - Leif

That is a nice car. I had a silver loaner for a couple of weeks from a dealer. A bit dull on small roads, but nice on motorways, and comfortable. Good luck with the sale.

Thanks for the replies!

I looked up Glass's vaulation. They say if it were to be sold privately it would achieve 10,575.00. P/x would be upwards of 9,490.00. However, that's not an option for us. Also, that the retailer would look to sell it for 11,750.00 afterwards.

Do those figures sound about right? I noticed that motorpoint have a few at 10,995 for sale. That makes me wonder about the 10,575 private price.

I've thought about the motor auction route. However, I know that cars can be viewed as needing repairs when they go to auctions which this one really doesn't. Also, the possibility of enough people and interest meaning it wouldn't get sold which means more money....

Thanks for the OFT info! Interesting, but somewhat not surprising I suppose.

Yeah, I like them too. I actually have the 1.6TDI diesel 2010. Same colour and everything. I liked it that much my parents went and got this one! We have enough trouble separating the keys!

Just these figures...each company/valuation comes up different. As I say, opinion on Glass's valuation and private sell price would be much welcomed!

Thanks for everything so far. It is very very much appreciated!

It's worth checking Auto Trader for both Trade and Private asking prices, it's a valuable source for private & trade buyers.

The Glasses prices represent a guide and although many dealers use these prices the actual price they offer will depend on whether they think they can sell the car quickly enough to justify the highest price, and of course they have more flexibility when a px is involved although in this case that's not a factor.

Thanks,

Yeah that was the conclusion I was coming to. Autotrader don't have many of the same model. The only ones that are adveritsing are from the dealers- good/bad/indifferent sign?

I'm going to set up an appointment with Evans Halshaw to see what they'll offer. I'm still mulling over the private option, though maybe Glass's 10.5 value is making me think that...

I know I've asked quite a few questions so apologies for that! I've really appreciated everyone's opinions so far. As you can tell, I'm not used to selling a car!

So, is it going up for sale this weekend and you'll be able to tell us what you got on Monday?

VW polo 1.2 TDI SE Grey - Selling Car (VW Polo 2011) - carl_a

How did you get on cheddarcheek?