Fiat Punto 2002 - The Master Key...where? - Ethan Edwards

My neighbour has an old Punto (bought privately some years back - may be the third or fourth owner/ keeper ). She only has the one key (blue) and want's a second key in case the original breaks or gets lost etc.

When I had a Brava some years back IIRC I had a Red master key and was told by the dealer that under no circumstances lose the red one. Otherwise it would be an arm and three legs to get replacement keys. Don't know if thats actually true as my Brava is long gone and I passed on the full set of keys to the next owner.

But is this still an issue these days?

Any ideas / thoughts/ wizzard wheezes etc, as to how my neighbour can get a cheap second key to unlock and start her Punto? Has to be cheap as she doesn't want to spend lots.

Fiat Punto 2002 - The Master Key...where? - Chris M

I thought Fiat had dropped the red key thing by 2002, but if they hadn't, you can get a new key cut which will open the door and turn in the ignition. What it won't do is start the engine as it will not have been coded to the car. That's where the problem arises and I've never heard of a cheap way around it. I'd be interested to hear of a cheap solution though as we only have two blue keys for our old Punto.

Fiat Punto 2002 - The Master Key...where? - Armitage Shanks {p}

ISTR that the major cost factor in losing the red key was the fact that the ECU would have to be reprogrammed or replaced. These people may be ablke to help

http://www.carkeyreplacement.co.uk/

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 11/04/2012 at 20:38

Fiat Punto 2002 - The Master Key...where? - rtj70

We have a FIAT from 2001... two blue keys. So not sure if one is a master but both start the car etc.

Not sure what is needed to get another key but we temporarily misplaced one and enquired about another. I think all FIAT needed was the key and car to cut/code a spare key. Can't remember cost but I think it was at least £100. We found the spare key.

Edited by rtj70 on 12/04/2012 at 02:31

Fiat Punto 2002 - The Master Key...where? - Big John

The red master key concept was dropped for the Punto on the 1999 model change. On my 1999 1.2 16v elx it came with two key blue one with remote buttons one without.

Fiat Punto 2002 - The Master Key...where? - elekie&a/c doctor

All blue keys are factory programmed.Buy new key from dealer and it will work out the box.All you need to do is sync the cdl sysstem.hth

Fiat Punto 2002 - The Master Key...where? - woogie

I wonder if its possible to have the exsisting key hidden close to ignition and just have a blank cut to unlock doors etc.Im fairly sure this would be a cheap way to do it. Although there is the increased risk of it being hotwired