Citroen xsara 1.8 auto estate - Water coming out near the bottom of the radiator? - hallington

My mechanic put some radweld in the rad a few months ago because of a small hole. I have noticed that if the car is running but stationary, water pumps out of the bottom, but does not do this when driving. Has the radiator gone, or could it be the radiator fan is sticking or something else. I don't understand why it doesn't leak when i'm driving the car? Thank you for any advice:) I'm trying as a female to not get ripped off by the garages, as 1 quoted me £661 for a new rad fitted and it's an S reg car!

Citroen xsara 1.8 auto estate - Water coming out near the bottom of the radiator? - Peter.N.

Replace the radiator. I think you are being ripped off, here is the price of one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-307-PARTNER-CITROEN-C4-XSARA-PICASSO-BERLINGO-RADIATOR-NEW-2-YR-WARRANTY-/270932172135?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f14d0dd67

Citroen xsara 1.8 auto estate - Water coming out near the bottom of the radiator? - hallington

Thanks Peter, mine is an S reg so that is a 1998, but I know a breaker said he had a rad for approx £30. My concern is that everyone is quoting £200+ for the labour and as it's not really leaking whilst driving, how do I know the rad has defintely gone and it's not something else?

Citroen xsara 1.8 auto estate - Water coming out near the bottom of the radiator? - jktom2006

H! I personally would go with peter as myself from experience with radiators in the past I would personally fork out for a new rad

Citroen xsara 1.8 auto estate - Water coming out near the bottom of the radiator? - jktom2006

mind you thve thats if you think your is worth keeping as it being an S reg May be you could still shop around and come up with one somewhere for a lot less if not other alternative is may be second hand but no guarantee there had used to be a place near to where I Live that repaired some radiators may be this could help.

Citroen xsara 1.8 auto estate - Water coming out near the bottom of the radiator? - Peter.N.

Why was the radweld added in the first place, presumably you had a leak somwhere could well be the one in the radiator. If water appears to be coming from the radiator area unless there is a pipe leaking which you should be able to see then its probably the radiator.

Fitting a radiator is not usually a difficult job, if you have aircon its a bit more difficult, have you not got any backstreet mechanics in the area that will do it for a reasonable price?

If its after August '98 this one will fit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-307-PARTNER-CITROEN-C4-XSARA-PICASSO-BERLINGO-RADIATOR-NEW-2-YR-WARRANTY-/270932172135?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f14d0dd67

Thanks guys, Peter no my car is a july 1998 citroen xsara estate 1.8 auto 8v. I have a retired guy, who normally does the mechanics on my car and is really reasonable but he's on holiday for 10 days, and said it would be about £200 for him to do it. The cam belt hasn't been changed since 70000 and I'm on 125k and in the manual i think it's every 60k it needs doing and the car for a few mths has felt like it hasn't liked running whilst stationary, as if the engine is throbbing and eager to go. The auto gearbox slips a bit at 40, she doesn't like starting several times in an hour and diagnostics picked up an issue qith the starter motor over a year ago. I think what i'm trying to elucidate is, is my car with all these issues worth spending £200 plus on her? On the open market is she only worth £300-400? She has just passed her mot and I'm only the second owner and I have virtually a full service history, and new michelin tyres on the front to match the back ones.

Citroen xsara 1.8 auto estate - Water coming out near the bottom of the radiator? - jc2

Consider an "EXCHANGE" rad;Serck and other firms offer them-look in your local phone book or even enquire at Halfords.

That is the problem with modern cars, they are becoming almost throw away items. I just bought an 01 Citroen C5 diesel estate for £300.00, quite a nice car, it had a few problems but a couple of days work has sorted out most of them - they are not a car for the faint hearted though.

Thanks for the advice re the exchange rad, it's not the cost of the rad itself that's the problem so much, it's the labour charges. Peter was that £300 or £3000 for a C5, I have driven a c3 but must admit the C5 looks a nice car. I really like the way the citroens handle the road, their comfort and build quality, I've always felt very safe in mine.

£300.00 and it was taxed and MOT'd. I think the price they had been quoted for putting it right considerably exceeded the value of the car. There are quite a lot of C5s for under £1000.00 on ebay and they are capable of high mileages, there is one on there with 402,000 at the moment, they are a very nice car but expensive to repair as as ar most cars now.

Peter

Incidently the best engine is the 8 valve Hdi diesel fitted to the early models, they are the simplest and most reliable and capable of a good 50 mpg.

Thanks Peter, I'll look out for that particular model, good to know:) My mechanic is looking at the car tomorrow, so the verdict will be in!