Best car for £5k? - Dingle232

A friend of mine has agreed to come to the UK for 3 years and will be doing approx 60 miles a day commute on mainly motorways. He has a budget of around £5k for a car and ideally wants something that will last him the duration of the 3 years he is here.

Any thoughts as to what I can help him look at? Make/Model, Petrol/Diesel?

Thanks in advance.

Best car for £5k? - gordonbennet

Apart from the usual recommendations he could do worse than consider one of these Hyundai Sonatas, both on ebay classifieds.

Best car for £5k? - daveyK_UK

a hyundai or kia petrol model

Best car for £5k? - Avant

He's just on the margin between petrol or diesel being best value: I wonder how much weekend mileage he'll do.

Something Japanese / Korean with a petrol engine - Toyota / Mazda / Hyundai: if a diesel seems better value then a VW / Skoda / SEAT with the 1.9 TDI engine.

Best car for £5k? - BenG

Ford Focus 1.6 petrol.

Toyota Yaris 1.3 petrol.

Kia Cee'd 1.6 petrol or 1.6CRDi diesel.

Best car for £5k? - madf

For £5 k you can buy a low miles Toyota Yaris T spirit d4d 4 door. (It will be 2005--6) Air con ABS etc

60mpg, £30 tax. and low running costs and very reiaible. Pre 2006 no DPF. Good for 200k miles.

Bodily it should be perfect at that price.

tinyurl.com/bn9hgxu for under 40k miles.. adjust as required.

Edited by madf on 03/04/2012 at 15:35

Best car for £5k? - ukn75

In case you are looking for BMWs check out this. Good information on used BMW's under £5000

http://servicingstopbmw.co.uk/uncategorized/some-of-the-best-used-bmw%E2%80%99s-for-under-5000/

BMW Service

Best car for £5k? - serpentinebelt1978

Enough cars out there. Might be interesting to go for a Jag, nice motorway cruiser, many cheap XJs out there. Though might be best to check thoroughly to avoid huge car maintenance bills.