vw fox 2009 - manufacturers responsibility regarding parts avail - farmerfrank

can anyone tell me what the onus is on manufacturers regarding parts availability

we have a vw fox 1.4 2009 model needing a part spacific to that model which is unavailable, and parts dept data says unavailable until at least second half of 2012 ,vw looking for factory to manufacture in mexico/brazil I forget which. this is a vehicle less than 3 years old and has been parked up since january . vw uk whilst sympathetic says there is nothing it can do

Advice appreciated

vw fox 2009 - manufacturers responsibility regarding parts avail - Paul G1pdc

wow thats a right pain.

Does another supplier sell the part you need, ie German and swedish, or Euro car parts.

Or if its a touch more difficult suggest to VW they remove the part from a secondhand car on there forecort to get you back on the road.

or give you a car to use until they get the part in stock.

have you tried a different dealer, incase they have the part on there shelf outback. ie a different chain....

good luck and let us know what happens..

Paul.

Hi paul dealers have been quite good really and maybe feel slightly guilty, no aftermarket part available can have use of courtesy car for as long as....I assume this was a low volume seller especially as a 1.4... obviously other issues come into play as regards decreasing value etc, no genuine part anywhere in europe and seeing as it is manufactured in south america and no edm available the rest of the world either , thats why I wondered what the manufacturers obligations were, fair enough if a vehicle is many years old but I believe this model was discontinued in 2010/11 superceded by the UP so its hardly a dinosaur (maybe soon to become one though)

vw fox 2009 - manufacturers responsibility regarding parts avail - Paul G1pdc

I know and fully understand if you don't want to go down this route but when I typed in

"1.4 FOX BREAKING VW" a few adverts from ebay appeared.

but as your car is still under warrenty...do you want to do this....

its an option to get your back on the road I guess.

Paul.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=49057

check out this from 2007 "Supply of car parts for 10 years ? Myth"

yes this is the route we are currently pursuing to get the car back on the road if vw are in agreement regarding warranty issues etc

vw fox 2009 - manufacturers responsibility regarding parts avail - bonzo dog

Is this

1. a UK model
  2. purchased from a UK VW franchise?

yes to both bought from main dealer as ex demo roughly 6 months old

vw fox 2009 - manufacturers responsibility regarding parts avail - bathtub tom

What's the part in question?

catalytic convertor

Edited by farmerfrank on 21/03/2012 at 14:11

vw fox 2009 - manufacturers responsibility regarding parts avail - SlidingPillar

Wouldn't dream of buying an exhaust from a car manufacturer - far too expensive. Never bought a cat, but I suspect the same applies.

A google search on 'catalytic converter vw fox' suggests the aftermarket has plenty of them.

Wouldn't dream of buying an exhaust from a car manufacturer - far too expensive. Never bought a cat, but I suspect the same applies.

A google search on 'catalytic converter vw fox' suggests the aftermarket has plenty of them.

if you took the time to read the previous posts it would save you from posting useless drivel

vw fox 2009 - manufacturers responsibility regarding parts avail - bathtub tom

>>if you took the time to read the previous posts it would save you from posting useless drivel

Insults are bound to generate sympathy and help.

A quick Google would suggest they are available.

vw fox 2009 - manufacturers responsibility regarding parts avail - SlidingPillar

Memo to self - don't try and help farmerfrank, cos he's an ungrateful (insert insult of own choice).

More constructivly as I'm not usually rude, I presume the car is still under guarantee - hence the VW repair.

I'd be be pointing out to VW the aftermarket situation, the fact story could be neatly sent to a national newspaper and what would they like to do about it?

There are several positive answers.

vw fox 2009 - manufacturers responsibility regarding parts avail - Avant

Farmerfrank - welcome to the forum, but if you come on here asking for advice please don't use the word 'drivel' when you get advice you don't agree with.

Look on the bright side - whatever your courtesy car is it can't be much smaller than a VW Fox, so you're getting the use of a comparable car and saving the mileage on yours.

Edited by Avant on 21/03/2012 at 22:19

Sliding pillar, no offence was meant but there are so many occasions where posters reply without reading fully the situation and as I see from your last post you relented somewhat now you realize the warranty situation, we had already tried to source an aftermarket part , you can ring any number you find on google and more and ill guarantee you not one will have a cat for that fox, the engine is specific to that model alone, the upshot is that VW uk and VW France whilst sympathetic say thst technically the car is off the road until a cat can be supplied once they find a factory in south america to start manufacturing them again ,

Bear in mind that the owner of this vehicle, my father, is in his eighties and specifically in later years bought main dealer cars for reliability and service to escape precisely the type of situation that has arisen here

a courtesy car could have been supplied in France however couldnt have been driven due to my father being unable to get insurance in France to drive it

if the car was recovered to the supplying dealer in the uk they would supply a courtesy car however it couldnt be taken to France, and Vw wont recover the car to the uk, French dealer wont release it to drive it back as they say it could be dangerous AA wont recover it as technically it hasnt broken down

Today ive finally got the French dealer to reluctantly agree to fit a second hand part that has finally become available providing we sign a disclaimer so hopefully the saga will soon be over

still doesnt answer what the manufacturers liabilities are though regarding parts supply for production cars, the Eurocrats yet again making sure we spend millions on the minutiae and miss the glaringly obvoius