KIA cee'd - Kia CEE`D 1.6 CRDI 113 turbo failure - Autopilot

I was driving up a very steep hill yesterday and the car suddenly lost power and there was very heavy smoke. I managed to get pulled in at the side of the road and switched off the engine. I couldnt restart the engine and there was a very strong smell of burning oil all round the car. When the recovery service arrived they managed to start the car only by attaching a booster to the battery but it was still smokey and sounded rattley. Most of the oil has disappeared out of the engine. They said the turbo has gone and there may be damage to the intercooler. Car is now at a Kia dealership and probably wont be looked at until Monday. Car has only 59000 miles, full service history and is 4 years old so still under warranty. Anyone else has this problem with a Kia CEE`D or Hyundai i30?

KIA cee'd - Kia CEE`D 1.6 CRDI 113 turbo failure - gordonbennet

Not heard of this problem, luckily its a warranty issue....buyers of three year warranty cars take note.

Do you allow your turbo to warm up and cool down before and after heavy use?

Also what sort of oil change intervals have been followed by the dealer, is the oil the dealer uses up to spec?

Not as any of these questions matter unless warranty is argued for some reason, just interested.

Not heard of this problem, luckily its a warranty issue....buyers of three year warranty cars take note.

Do you allow your turbo to warm up and cool down before and after heavy use?

Also what sort of oil change intervals have been followed by the dealer, is the oil the dealer uses up to spec?

Not as any of these questions matter unless warranty is argued for some reason, just interested.

Hi Gordon, I always let the car idle for a couple of minutes before driving off when cold but I live in an urban area a few miles from the motorway or roads with a speed limit of over 40MPH so I just switch off the engine straight away when I get home. Owners manual says nothing about letting turbo warm up and cool down. Oil is changed every 12500 miles and they use fully sinthetic Shell Helix.

KIA cee'd - Kia CEE`D 1.6 CRDI 113 turbo failure - unthrottled

Bad luck! Don't beat yourself about the cool down, it is seldom necessary with diesels. If the intercooler is full of oil then it sounds like the oil seal in the turbo has failed allowing oil to run through the engine. Should be a straight warranty fix.

''I always let the car idle for a couple of minutes before driving off when cold but I live in an urban area a few miles from the motorway or roads with a speed limit of over 40MPH so I just switch off the engine straight away when I get home.''

Sounds like good practical use, and far better than most who have not a clue would treat their cars, i'm thinking of those who pull into the motorway services and switch straight off....good oil too, so no abuse or neglect issues to account for the failure.

Update us as to how the dealer performs won't you, when people started buying Kias and Hyundais in high numbers there were many who ridiculed the warranty as being the only thing going for the cars which i don't believe having been underneath Ceeds, so many of us are interested how the warranty and dealer attitude pans out as mileage tops up.

Update us as to how the dealer performs won't you, when people started buying Kias and Hyundais in high numbers there were many who ridiculed the warranty as being the only thing going for the cars which i don't believe having been underneath Ceeds, so many of us are interested how the warranty and dealer attitude pans out as mileage tops up.

Will do.

KIA cee'd - Kia CEE`D 1.6 CRDI 113 turbo failure - Sheepy-by-the-Sea

We had a Rio 1.5 CRDi from new, just under four years old and 40,000 miles the intercooler blew - very similar symptoms to what you've described. Our car wasn't abused and I'd be surprised if we're the only ones this has happened to - looking forward to your update.

The Rio, by the way, was a 2008 car with a three-year warranty so we can't comment on the dealer behaviour.

We had a Rio 1.5 CRDi from new, just under four years old and 40,000 miles the intercooler blew - very similar symptoms to what you've described. Our car wasn't abused and I'd be surprised if we're the only ones this has happened to - looking forward to your update.

The Rio, by the way, was a 2008 car with a three-year warranty so we can't comment on the dealer behaviour.

Sorry to hear of your trouble with the Rio but also glad to hear that Im not the only one having this sort of problem with a diesel Kia. My car has never been abused either and most of the time I never exceed 60MPH. This breakdown was quite a shock because the car had been running perfect also providing about 63MPG and there was never any noises or warning lights on. The engine in that 1.5crdi Rio must be very similar to the one in the 1.6crdi cee`d as when running they sound exactly the same. Just out of interest how long was your car off the road for?

KIA cee'd - Kia CEE`D 1.6 CRDI 113 turbo failure - ChannelZ

Idling to cool turbos is totally and utterly pointless on modern diesels.

First off, turbos on diesels don't run anywhere near hot enough.

Secondly, turbos on modern turbo diesels are cooled by both oil and water.

Thirdly, if the turbo is hot, a small electric pump continues to circulate coolant round the turbo after the engine is off.

Turbo failure is unusual on the Kia/Hyundai engine, just bad luck.

The 1.5CRDI is not the same engine as the 1.6CRDI. ONly similarity is they both run on diesel and are fitted to KIA and Hyundai cars. The 1.5 is a Far Eastern engine, the 1.6 is brand new German engine designed a few years ago to replace the 2.0CRDI which was an Italian VM Motori engine originally fitted to the c'eed and i30.

I`ve just been in touch with my Kia dealer and the car requires a whole new engine because all the oil left the engine through the exhaust system when the turbo failed. It would be too expensive and time consuming to rebuild the engine with new parts. They say the car could be ready by the weekend if they can source an engine in the UK and if not it will be longer but in the mean time they have given me a new Kia Picanto as a courtesy car and it is great to be on the road again. So far I am very satisfied with the customer service from my dealer and I always have been in the past.

Blimey AP, when you come back with an update you don't muck about do you, many thanks keeping us in the picture..

Thank goodness you've kept the servicing correct, could have been some seriously expensive economy measures if you'd missed one.

No mention of 'betterment' or anything, full warranty job from them?..if so well done Kia...the fact its gone wrong doesn't concern me in the least just one of those things, its how a company sorts the problem out if it goes wrong that really matters.

Just an update about my Kia cee`d. The dealer was in touch with me today and told me that they have finally received the authorisation from Kia motors UK to carry out the work under warranty. (The engine was stripped down and thoroughly investigated.) Parts have been ordered and should arrive on Wednesday. They are now going to rebuild the engine instead of replacing the whole unit. The car should be ready within 2 weeks. The car has been off the road since 16/3/12 but I am very happy with Kia customer service who have kept me mobile with a replacement car within 3 days of the breakdown and I would highly recommend Kia to anyone. If I had been driving any other make of car it would have been out of warranty and I would have been left high and dry. Something well worth thinking about when purchasing your next car!

KIA cee'd - Kia CEE`D 1.6 CRDI 113 turbo failure - Avant

Thank you very much for updating us - much appreciated. Very glad that Kia and the dealer have honoured the warranty and not tried to quibble, as some makers do.

The Ceed has onlt been out for 5 years or som, ans sold mainly to private buyers- so yours is probably one of the higher mileages among Ceeds. Too early to say whether there is a weakness with this engine - but in general I suspect that modern diesel engines aren't going to be as long-lasting as the older designs like the VAG 1.9 and the Peugeot / Citroen XUD and HDI - and of course the good old Perkins Prima, which rattled on forever while the Maestro or Montego body turned to rust round it.

Thank you very much for updating us - much appreciated. Very glad that Kia and the dealer have honoured the warranty and not tried to quibble, as some makers do.

The Ceed has onlt been out for 5 years or som, ans sold mainly to private buyers- so yours is probably one of the higher mileages among Ceeds. Too early to say whether there is a weakness with this engine - but in general I suspect that modern diesel engines aren't going to be as long-lasting as the older designs like the VAG 1.9 and the Peugeot / Citroen XUD and HDI - and of course the good old Perkins Prima, which rattled on forever while the Maestro or Montego body turned to rust round it.

I bought the car when it was 20 months old (57 plate) with 10500 miles on the clock and one owner. There was 59000 miles on the clock when the breakdown happened. There`s probably plenty with far lower mileage than mine and they could be problems ready to happen or it may have just been my bad luck! I`m not a fan of modern commonrail turbo diesel engines either. You can`t beat the Mercedes 2.5L 5cyl Diesel Auto fitted to the 190D. That was an engine! Plenty still about with over 500K on the clock.

Ok so here is my final update, I got a phone call from my dealer yesterday to tell me that my car was ready. Excellent news. They replaced the turbo and rebuilt the engine and now it is running like it just came out of the factory. I was also very impressed that the car received a full high quality interior and exterior valet prior to collection so when I picked the car up I thought they had given me a new one! I took the car out for a 150 mile drive today and I can`t find any faults whatsoever. Car was returning around 65MPG and also feels more powerful than ever before. Over the last few weeks since the breakdown (16/03/2012) The service, communication and use of a courtesy car (a real godsend) I received from my dealer (Charles Hurst Kia, Belfast) has really been second to none. I would absolutely recommend Kia to anyone because unlike other car manufacturers and dealers I have dealt with in the past, Kia treat you like a human being and not a number!

KIA cee'd - Kia CEE`D 1.6 CRDI 113 turbo failure - balleballe
Excellent! Pleased to see youve had a positive experience.

KIA cee'd - Kia CEE`D 1.6 CRDI 113 turbo failure - ChannelZ
Excellent! Pleased to see youve had a positive experience.

Especially seeing it was Charles Hurst! They're the muppets who couldn't fix my 106 after 16 months, 24 visits, and most of the engine and electrics replaced. One visit to another dealer, 10 minutes wait, one O2 sensor replaced and problem solved.

KIA cee'd - Kia CEE`D 1.6 CRDI 113 turbo failure - donmac

my hyundai i30 1.6 crdi started to get a sticky throttle so booked in with garage to have a look at it but enroute to it when suddenly lost power but no warning lights came on so i suspected fuel issue. i waited a few minutes and restarted my short journey and as i arrived there was a loud noise and grey smoke pouring out of the exhaust. i contacted dealer as still a year on the warranty but they referred it to hyundai.

as i had had a delay in getting my 3rd service 2 years ago they've said they cannot accept liability. i pointed out that the oil used in every service was lucas 5/30 which was good for 20,000 miles in a volkswagon but they were not accepting 15,000 in a hyundai and that also all materials used were hyundai.

they are still not listening to reason and are wriggling out of any repair as the the cost is reckoned to be just under £5,000 which i am really annoyed at by the way

i also complained that this was an issue that had arisen on several occasions but that they had not had the decency to advise owners that these problems might be averted had they but known what to look out for. looks like no more hyundai for this family!!

KIA cee'd - Kia CEE`D 1.6 CRDI 113 turbo failure - unthrottled

as i had had a delay in getting my 3rd service 2 years ago they've said they cannot accept liability.

That's standard industry practice. The warranty is a two-way street. There is an obligation on the operator as well as the manufacturer.