New Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Estate - Clutch Pedal Problems - CDJPB

Hi all, I have an 11 plate new model Ford Focus Estate 1.6TDCI Titanium. I bought it when it was 6-months old from a Ford main dealer when it had 8,000 miles on the clock. It now has nearly 10,000 on the clock.

Soon after I bought the car the clutch pedal started sticking down so that it only moved 1/2 inch but the clutch still engaged. Eventually the pedal never returned on its own, I had to lift the clutch pedal up with my foot. After multiple visits to a dealer they traced the issue to a faulty clutch pedal return spring which once they found a part (which took 3-weeks) they replaced it under warranty and all was ok for a couple of months.

However now when the car hasn't been used for a few days or if on a motorway for a long period (i.e the clutch hasn't been depressed for a while) when i depress the clutch pedal the gear engages but the pedal only comes 1/2 way back up; I again have to flick it all the way up with my foot. The unpredictable nature of the fault can make hill starts tricky, at least before I knew it wouldn't return at all and could drive accordingly!

Does anyone have any ideas what might be the issue so that when the garage again say they can't replicate the fault and can't do anything I have a bit more ammunition to hit them with to make them investigate further?

Many thanks!

New Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Estate - Clutch Pedal Problems - madf

Sounds to me like corrosion or solidified grease or dirt in the mechanism somewhere..

New Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Estate - Clutch Pedal Problems - MikeTorque

It's a safety issue. They haven't fixed the root cause of the problem.

Get them to replace the entire clutch pedal release assembly, including a new spring, a warranty issue.

Just an update for you; today I had the clutch master cylinder replaced under warranty and this seems to have solved the problem (fingers crossed).

It's the first time the Ford dealer had seen this fault on a new Focus but the second in a week after a similar fault on a Ford C-Max. Anyway, many thanks to Sandicliffe of Stapleford, Nottingham for investigating the fault fully with an open mind rather than fobbing me off like other dealers have done.

Good to hear you took it to Sandicliffe, they are superb at getting to the bottom of an issue. They treat every car as their own and I can personally vouch for them from my own experiences when working with them to sort out various car related issues.

New Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Estate - Clutch Pedal Problems - Autopilot

This is a well known problem with the new Ford Focus. If you have any more trouble I would suggest going to a different Ford dealership and if you get no satisfaction there contact BBC watchdog because this is a dangerous fault and Ford should be doing a recall.

New Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Estate - Clutch Pedal Problems - BigJohnD

This is a well known problem with the new Ford Focus.

It is. We have had a whole new master cylinder and pedal assembly fitted. The dealer made noises about us being clumsy, etc, but nevertheless replaced everything.

However, I still do not have full confidence in it, even though there has been no problem since.

I had a similar experience when driving a Ford Focus Econetic 1.6 TDCi, the clutch pedal would engage almost on the floor which made driving it rather difficult, the sales guy stalled in their car park it and still claimed it was ok. The sales guy insisted there was nothing wrong with it and they were all like that, staggering considering it was a Ford Direct car. Like I've only driven loads of Fiesta's and no they are not all like that, only this one is like that and it's faulty. Seems like Ford have an issue to resolve on more than one of their models.

Unfortunately after thinking the fault was now fixed (as after the master cylinder was replaced all seemed good and the clutch acted as normal) the same fault has returned and so the car is booked in again next week for the third time! This is getting very annoying now!

Check if they fitted a reconditioned master cylinder instead of a new one, although they should have fitted a new one under warranty.

Also it's not unknown for the same issue or a different issue to occur when a component has been fitted due to a similar fault in the replacement component, it's happened with my Focus.

Well unfortunately the saga continues and I will be off to the garage for the 4th time next week. Last time they said they could find no fault other than lots of air in the clutch and brake systems (hence why both pedals were mushy); so they bled the systems.

One month later and the clutch pedal is not returning again and the brake pedal has gone mushy again.

And so once again my car is unsafe to drive and its only 1yr old; other than taking the car back again and moaning at them what else can I do?

Jb

Ask them why is there air in the clutch and brake systems and how is it getting there ?
Something is seriously amiss for that to happen.

So.....the car has now been in my local Ford dealership for 2-days. On day 1 they called to say they didn't get round to looking at my car that day (brilliant) and today they called to say they recognise that the car is faulty but they can't find the cause.

They have therefore requested that a technician from Ford comes out to assess the car which could take days or weeks - I'm therefore car-less with little hope of getting a courtesy car or hire car!

Complaint letters have been sent to the dealership I purchased the car from and copied to Ford HQ and so depending on what the Ford technician says i'll be chasing the dealership I bought the car from for a resolution of this problem - to be honest I just want to get rid of the thing!

I thought I was buying peace of mind when I bought this car and that it would give me years of service. However what I have actually bought is a car which is frequently faulty, is a hassle to drive and own and which is far from safe and reliable!
New Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Estate - Clutch Pedal Problems - bathtub tom

I wonder why the first owner got rid of it, any chance of contacting them?

New Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Estate - Clutch Pedal Problems - Ben 10

If Lombard is on the V5 then you've probably bought an ex AA driving school car. The Ford Direct dealerships are awash with them. The tell tale sign are the 2 gromits on the passenger side footwell where the dual controls where.Lombard are the company that supplies the AA and when six months are up they are taken back and sold to Ford dealerships. Mainly at the moment new shape Focuses, but also new shape Fiestas.

New Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Estate - Clutch Pedal Problems - focussed

If Lombard is on the V5 then you've probably bought an ex AA driving school car. The Ford Direct dealerships are awash with them. The tell tale sign are the 2 gromits on the passenger side footwell where the dual controls where.Lombard are the company that supplies the AA and when six months are up they are taken back and sold to Ford dealerships. Mainly at the moment new shape Focuses, but also new shape Fiestas.

Yup-I can vouch for that, I used be an AA instructor in the early 2000's, and we used to abuse the f*** out of the clutch on practising hill starts, we were paying £200 a week for the kudos of driving around advertising their brand and if we or the pupil broke it we rang up and another one was delivered the next day. The rule was 6 months or 16000 miles and then you got a new one. I wasn't aware that the AA were using estates though, and we couldn't have diesels then, the reason given was that "there wouldn't be a market for secondhand diesels" Yeah-right. I have never put so much petrol in a 1.6 litre car in my life-the fuel gauge always moved faster than the speedo.

New Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Estate - Clutch Pedal Problems - Ben 10

I wasn't aware that the AA were using estates though.

You're right focussed, they're not using diesels or estates. I was just bringing to everyones attention that Ford Dealerships are not forward in telling you the full story of where their stock has come from. Saying Lombard is a leasing company eases a decision rather than being told it's an ex driving school car. Though the Ford warranty still counts, although would the clutch not be seen as a wear and tear item? Just take heed and query the V5 previous owner when you buy from Ford forecourts. Though many do get off loaded at auction whereby they have to tell you in the description. If you challenge them and they admit it is an ex AA Focus, use this as a bargining tool to take off the cost of a new clutch. You might be lucky and the clutch might not go why you own it.

CDJPB - they must provide you with another car whilst your car is being sorted out, it's part of the warranty agreement. Remind them of their obligations and if they fail to provide you with a car then tell them you'll be hiring one from elsewhere and you will bill them in full upon return of your own car.

Also did you notice the occasional squeak when declutching prior to the developement of the issues you described ?

One thing that comes to mind, have there updated the engine management software at any time and if/when they did did the fault either disappear or improve ? I've known Ford Focus issues with software corruption causing a host of issues and the only cure is to replace the offending electronic circuit board that's behind the corruption and then blow in new software.

And so it continues! The car was finally returned to me last time after 10-days in the dealership whilst they awaited the arrival of a Ford Technician to assess the car and for parts to arrive.

However whilst waiting for the Ford Technician, low and behold, Ford issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for the new Ford Focus for resolving just the problems I’ve been having with my clutch ( a drop in clutch system pressure they called it). And so the Ford Technician didn't assess my car as Ford said in the TSB that by changing the master cylinder (again), connecting pipes and the clutch fluid the problem would be fixed. And so 10-days later I had my car back.

However upon picking up the car 2-weeks ago I noticed that the clutch pedal was rather 'light' lets say but I thought it might be because it just has new components. But now after 2-weeks, although the clutch pedal no longer sticks down (which is a bonus), it's exceptionally spongy when depressed and the ‘bite point’ changes depending on how often the clutch is depressed. In traffic the clutch generally feels ok but after a run on a long straight road or when coming off the Motorway there's a good 1-2 inch of play in the pedal. On the Motorway I can depress the clutch pedal half way down with my little toe; it seems to be full of air!

And so today I've been back to the dealer for the 6th time so that one of their mechanics could test drive it. And he came to the same conclusion; Ford's TSB and replacement parts have not fixed the car!

So it's back to Ford as the dealership are stumped!!!!!! To be honest I just want to get rid of the car now but who wants to buy a faulty car? And so unless I can convince the dealership I bought it from to replace the car (as the fault has been there since I bought it from them when 6-months old) I’m stuck.

New Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Estate - Clutch Pedal Problems - sky2012

Hi,

I'm having the same problem with a 2011 Ford Focus. I started having trouble with the clutch getting stuck about 2 months ago after long journeys, it was due a service at the time and they checked it out and said there was nothing wrong. The problem got worse, (still happening after long journeys) and then it started to cut out at traffic lights when trying to put it into gear, took it back last week to garage and they said it was the master cylinder was leaking, so they replaced it. I drove it on a long journey this week and the problem was completely worse than before, it gets stuck now everytime I change gear. Rang Ford Assistance and took it to nearest garage, they have it at the moment, but they called me this evening to say that the master cylinder & slave cylinder were fine and that they couldn't see anything wrong with it. They said they test drove it a few times and couldn't replicate the issue. I am going mad now this evening as thought that it would be sorted this time.

Have you anymore information on the TSB or even the number of it ?

Up until this happed I loved the car, but now just want to get rid of it and never go near Ford again.

Hi, sorry for the (long) delay in responding to your post.

Today I received my car back from the garage for the 8th time in the 9-months I've owned the car. This time instead of just making the repairs that the TSB recommended they have changed all the hydraulics (again) on the car. For the first time (albeit I've only had the car back a matter of hours) it feels as though the car has a proper clutch - well kind of anyway.

However after nothing but hassle for 9-months and because i have zero confidence left in the car, for a small fee the garage have agreed to swap mine for their 6-month old demonstrator in early September (although there's no news on it yet)!

I will dig out the TSB info for you and post it here ASAP. My advice is to speak to the dealership manager involved and to put your complaint in writing (and send a copy to Ford Customer Services).

Good luck!

Thanks for the update, most helpful.

Did you swap/trade the Focus Estate mk2 for a Focus Estate mk3 and if so how do they compare ? Is it a 1.6 TDCi you have now ?

I used to have a MKII Focus years ago but it was a basic model. The one I have bigs problems with is the MKIII 1.6 TDCI Titanium Estate (11 plate). I am swapping it for a 12 plate Titanium X (in theory, i'm yet to see it).

The TSB says it is No. 39/2012 and is dated 26th June 2012.

It is applicable to Focus 2011.25 (12/2010-) (Build dates 12.06.10 to 30.08.12) for the 1.6 TDCI. For cars assembled in St. Petersburg.

It says:

"Should a customer express concern that the clutch pedal sticks during the return stroke, the probable cause is insufficient return load in clutch pedal system.This insufficient return load causes the clutch pedal not to pass the clutch pedal force reduction spring cross-over point and consequently hang at ~50mm of pedal travel. To rectify this concern a new clutch pressure pipe in conjunction with a revised clutch master cylinder and clutch pedal force reduction spring should be installed".

Mine also required a new slave cylinder as the TSB fix failed to rectify the fault. After a day of driving the car today it feels like a proper clutch should for the first time in 10-months!!!!!!!

New Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Estate - Clutch Pedal Problems - sky2012

Thanks for the TSB info.

The issue with my car seems to be resolved now (touch wood!!). The second garage that I took it to said that when the master cylinder was replaced it wasn't bled properly as the new focus has a different system for the clutch and bleeding it is a bigger job than before.

I don't know if thats true but since they did that it has been fine. Starting to get confidence back when driving it again, but will keep the TSB info on hand just incase!

Hope that you get it all sorted soon.

New Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Estate - Clutch Pedal Problems - Norsjo
Hi,have the same issue on my c-max 2011.
Have searched autoMD for the TSB based on info above but is is not listed???

Does anyone have the reference number that I can search with?

Thanks