New Buyers Help - mmarsh

I really need some advice.

Neither my wife nor I have a great deal of driving experiance, my wife more than I. We need a car, we have a new baby coming and we need it now.

People keep telling me to by a banger and get some more experiance for awhile and buy new later. I understand the arguement they make but it just pains me to spent 5-10 grand on something that will be too small for us (like a small hatchback) or just an old piece of junk on its last legs. I also dont want to put our firstborn into a deathtrap. I'd rather pay extra...

Its not a lot of money for a car, but hey 5-10K, is still a nice chunk of my salary. I also dont want to go through the hassle of selling it or trading it in, just to go through this mess in 3 years. I am not a gearhead, i'd rather by something decent now and keep it 10 years. Furthermore I have the money now, who knows what will happen in 3 years...

I'd rather spend 15-20K and get something decent. Part of the problem is that we need a automatic gearbox (the wife cant drive stick) and in France you are looking at 10,000 first price for something decent.

What I really want is a small-medium MPV/Crossover AUTO, but again the good ones start at 15K (with a automatic gearbox). E.G Skoda Yeti, GOLF PLUS, NISSAN QASHQAI, C3 Picasso. (something like this).

The only thing thats cheap are the French cars, and while I do think think the French do make a decent car, everyone tells me the autos are rubbish (espicially Renault). Because I need the auto, I am advised to get German, American, or Japanese but that costs much much more...

So my question to you all: AM I CRAZY IN MY LOGIC? Most people think I am. And what I am saying to contrary to all opinion. I need some clarity.

Advice Really Appriciated...

New Buyers Help - ChannelZ

Teach your wife to drive a manual car. Two driving lessons at £30 each makes buying a car for the next 40-50 years an awful lot easier.

New Buyers Help - mmarsh

ChannelZ

I am doing my license as we speak, around here its 50 EUROS an hour and a 4 month waiting list to take the test. (System is really borked here). Besides, I live in the Paris Suburbs and heavy traffic auto really are easier. The real question I am asking is how much is too much for a new car. We are new drivers, but we are not some 18 year looking to be the next Lewis Hamilton I need a good car/SUV/crossover for a young surburbian family of 3. Mostly to do shopping, go to the doctors, etc...

Unthrottled

Interesting. What do you think of a Peugoet 308 1.6 Premium Auto with 15000KM at 11500 EUROS? Seems like a fair offer.

New Buyers Help - unthrottled

There are two 'autos' available for the 308. I think that the 1.6 THP uses the proper automatic. I'm not sure about the n/a 1.6. The 1.6 diesel uses a ECG (atomated manual) which isn't rated very highly.

New Buyers Help - unthrottled

The only thing thats cheap are the French cars, and while I do think think the French do make a decent car, everyone tells me the autos are rubbish (espicially Renault).

Well, a lot of European (and Aisian and American) manufacturers use the Aisin AW6 auto-which is Japanese.

Earlier models used the ZF 4 speed 4hp20. Not much wrong with ZF automatics...

(well, apart from the CVT ones built under licence by Ford!)

In short, I wouldn't panic. I would buy French because (as you will have noticed) the French are rather patriotic about their cars and mechanics tend to adopt a je ne sais quoi attitude to 'foreign' cars. I remember a friend breaking down in France in a pug 405 1.9 diesel. You'd think France would be a great place to break down in a Peugeot. No! The mechanic was most vexed because it was an English Peugoet! After a week he managed to fit a reconditioned fuel pump for 1100 euros. Ridiculous price. God knows how much he would have charged to fix a bMW or a toyota...

New Buyers Help - Sam49

Does the car have to be brand new?

How about looking at nearly new or a couple of years old. You could get a new shape automatic Toyota Verso (2009 on) 1.8. Honest John raves about them (see his video and review); I've driven that engine/ gearbox combo in a rental Avensis and it's very nice - easy, quiet, safe.

Being a Toyota it should last for donkeys years if you maintain it. My own Avensis is 12 years old (classic taxi shape) - doing over 15,000 miles a year at present.

New Buyers Help - mmarsh

channelz

Its the real automatic version (called BVA here), not the semi-robotic version (BMP).

Sam49

No it doesnt have to be new. I looked at the verso at your suggestion but the first prices start at 18K used. I was considering a Skoda Yeti for 20K. If I am going to spend that type of scratch, I might as well buy new no? The real question is that amount of money too much spent for a first car?

New Buyers Help - Bobbin Threadbare

I will just add that there's a lot of difference between a £5k car and a £10k car - the £10k could be something absolutely brand new..............

The most popular cars in France by sales of new vehicles are #1 Renault Clio, #2 Peugeot 207, #3 Renault Megane and #4 Citroen C3. So they are definitely patriotic!