any (most economical) - I dont have a clue - please help me - h007

please help this niave first time company car driver. I am due to start a new job next month and they have offered me to cash options to provide a car for business use - these options are £520ish a month or £190ish a month - i imagine the rate of money i claim back will be different for both options. the thing is i have never had a company car or cash alternative before - what do i do, whats included if i lease a car, servicing/mot etc, any help advice most appreciated, cheers H

any (most economical) - I dont have a clue - please help me - h007
any (most economical) - I dont have a clue - please help me - Avant

There is informatio to help you on this site. Have a look at Ask HJ - Frequently Asked Question no. 11 to start with..

any (most economical) - I dont have a clue - please help me - craig-pd130

If the company is offering TWO cash alternatives, I'd ask them nicely what the difference is between the two packages and what each entails.

Companies usually give you the choice of either having a car paid for by the company (they own it and pay all the costs, you drive it), or giving you an allowance to use your personal car for business use.

any (most economical) - I dont have a clue - please help me - oldtoffee

Both will be taxed as income so you need to know the precise details/content of each option and any differences in maybe mileage allowances, vehicle related expenses that may or may not be claimable etc.

any (most economical) - I dont have a clue - please help me - johnfkenndy

If your company is offering you 2 option, 1st check what is the difference between the 2 packages, and then decide.....You can either buy the car and company will paid for it (Company will be the owner and you are just driving it) or you can lease a car company will pay the leasing amount....so its upto you.

But I would suggest you to lease a car. In this your company will pay you the leasing amount and one of the best advantage is that you will be handling a new car after every 2-3 years

Edited by Avant on 15/03/2012 at 22:14

any (most economical) - I dont have a clue - please help me - 1litregolfeater

Buy yourself a 3 year old BMW for £8000 and claim the miles.