Citroen Xsara Picasso - Old story: Car hit by possibly uninsured driver - flathead

I'm sure that this is a familiar situation but it's all new to us so I'd welcome any advice/comments.

I wasn't there but this is what I was told. A relative's Citroen was alongside another car, facing a red light and waiting for it to change. A third car came up from behind, between the first two and collided with both. My relative's car was a write-off, losing a rear wheel in the process but no-one was injured. The third car driver seems to have remarked that he was distracted at the time.

The police attended, breathalysed all concerned with no positive result and left, commenting that there was only property damage. It now seems possible that the third driver was uninsured.

As I understand it, if thie third driver was uninsured, my relative has to buy a replacement car with only the scrap value of the old one to assist him but his next insurance premium will be very costly. I think that there may be a claims management company involved. What are his options. If the third driver does indeed turn out to be uninsured, are the Police at liberty to turn a blind eye to a second obvious motoring offence?

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Old story: Car hit by possibly uninsured driver - tony g
Hi,if it turns out that the other driver is uninsured ,or even if he is ,your at liberty to pursue him through the small claims court .you're not obliged to deal with his insurance company even if he has one .

Your relative is entitled to the full retail / replacement value of the car that was damaged. If his car was stationary and the other driver ran into him ,then the other driver is entirely at fault

The small claims court is an easy process and the only risk and cost to you is the court fee of approximately £150 .

The only potential pitfall is if the other driver has no money ,he should have given you his address .Check it out ,does he own the property or another car .

If you get a judgment against him and he doesn't pay the judgment and your fees ,the court can send bailiffs to seize his goods .

I don't believe their is any point in involving the police further ,they won't help to recover your losses .

If you do decide to use the small claims court ,please get in touch with the forum I'm sure members can provide additional help and information .

Please let the forum know the outcome of your problem.

Good luck

Tony g

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Old story: Car hit by possibly uninsured driver - Dwight Van Driver

Dont forget Motor Insurance Bureau for which we all pay a sum when we take out Insurance.

http://www.mib.org.uk/Frequently+Asked+Questions/en/Default.htm

dvd