Ford Focus 2004 - Temp gauge issue !!! - Michael2012

Ok, so just bought my focus and noticed slight coolant leak, turned out to be thermostat housing, new coolant, new housing all sorted.

Car starts and runs fine temperature gauge moves up to correct central position then whilst driving it drops back down to cold, few minutes later back up to the centre ??

It doesnt overheat or affect driving at all so i figured maybe its the coolant temperature sensor which is dodgy, so i asked my mechanic to test it and fit a new one if needed, only for him to tell me that there isnt one ??? In the past someone has removed some type of hexagonal brass plug with wires coming out if it and tied it up beside the battery ???

I dont know whats going on, does anyone know where the sensor should be located ? Its an old shape 2004 2.0 ghia, or does anyone know why the gauge would drop to cold then back up again ??

Any help or advice would be a massive help.

Ford Focus 2004 - Temp gauge issue !!! - elekie&a/c doctor

When the housing was replaced,was a new stat fitted as the new part does not come with new stat.There is a coolant temp sensor but it is the same unit that provides temp info to the engine management system(unlikely to be faulty).The hexagonal brass temp sensor hooked up next to battery is an official modification by Ford to bring the cooling fans on under extreme under bonnet temps,so nothing to worry about.hth

Yes a new stat was fitted along with the housing. There is like a dummy hole in the housing were it looks like a sensor should go but the sensor wasnt there on the old one, iv also looked ontop of the head but there is no sensor there either ??

Im guessing that the sensor must be on the coolant system somewhere ??

The strange thing is that the gauge drops down to cold for a few minutes or so then back up to the normal position, im not losing any coolant and the heater works fine and the engine performance isnt affected, but its just odd and id like to get to the bottom of it.

Its also happens randomly, on both motorway and built up areas, oh and i forgot to mention its an automatic, not sure if that makes any difference ??

Thanks for the info on the brass plug.

Thanks for your help

If it,s an auto box,then I think this would make it a 1600,not a 2 litre?

No its defo a 2.0 litre

Just a bit of an update as this issue is doing my head in,

I just started the car up and let it warm up, as the gauge was slowly moving up it the engine revs very slightly dipped and the gauge drop back to cold then a few seconds later continued to move up to the central position.

All of which was done with the car stationary.

My instincts are screaming that its a sticky thermostat but iv just had a new one fitted, has anyone else had similar problems with a focus or any advice would be really much appreiciated.

Im driving to eurpoe in a few weeks and id really like to get to the bottom of this before then.

Also the pipe into the bottom of the radiator was stone cold !!!

Thanks in advance

I have just done the same job on my brothers Focus and used all Ford genuine parts that cost a fortune for a lump of plastic,and have had no problems at all.Did you use original parts.?Also has the cooling system defo been bled properly?

As far as i am aware they are all genuine parts and i think its been bled properly.

Im going to call the garage i got it done at tomorrow and get it back in, or do you think i should just take it to ford ??

Iv had plenty of cars in my time that overheat but this is just so random and annoying.

Thanks for your help

Just to give you an idea of the parts cost;Housing is £78.44;T/stat £14.08;outlet housing(if used)£25.32;and a couple of seals for around £4.(all prices plus vat).If you have paid a lot less for the parts ,then they are not Ford original.hth