Chevvy Cruze 1.6LS - Any owners on here? - ChannelZ

Folks,

My old Mondeo is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I'm looking something to replace it. I quite like the look of the Chevvy Cruze, and 2011 cars with 20k on the clock are abundant in the dealers here for £8500.

I'm aware they're basically a Korean Astra - I'm an ex Astra owner, and never had any particular issues with them, and we have an i30 in the household so am happy with Korean cars.

Anyone got, or driven a Cruze with the 125hp 1.6 petrol? I don't do many miles, and anything more than 32mpg is a bonus compared to the Mondeo.

Chevvy Cruze 1.6LS - Any owners on here? - oldroverboy

Although i haven't got a cruze, had a lacetti 1.6 sw, got an epica diesel and an aveo 1.4lt, my neighbour has a 1.6ls aircon and is very very pleased with it. Suggest you read the forum on chevroletownerscllub.co.uk. and one of the cruze owners works for a dealer in redditch and gives excellent parts ofers to ownwers club forum members. It's a free club and you will also get discounts with opie oils. personally had a few initial gripes with dealers, but if you get 1 with the 5 year warranty it's a cracking deal, like my epica the room for driver and passengers is very very good. if the car you get has steel wheels you don't get a spare, so try to get one that has a full size spare.

Chevvy Cruze 1.6LS - Any owners on here? - arnjb

I've owned one for 9 months now. Bought it at 10 months old and it's just gone in for its 20K mile service.

Pros: Extremely comfortable. Return trip to Zurich and no back ache! Good steering / suspension. Like the gearchange - on the chunky side. Quite roomy for a smallish car. Paintwork more robust than some other makes I've owned. Tyres still good for another 6 months so not hard on its boots.

Cons: VERY sluggish engine. Never known such a poorly performing 1600cc. Suggest you try before you buy over a long test drive. Leaking brake caliper at 20K miles. Can't see the radio/cd/clock display in bright sunlight.

Real world petrol consumption averages 33 mpg...ish.

On the Zurich run it maxed at 40.5mpg. I used a full tank the other month doing nothing but very short runs and that was 25mpg.

If you're used to small cars I think it should suit and the prices are good. If you're down sizing be very careful that you don't find it underpowered.

Hope this helps.

Chevvy Cruze 1.6LS - Any owners on here? - unthrottled

Cons: VERY sluggish engine. Never known such a poorly performing 1600cc.

It's asking a lot to expect an n/a 1.6 to be anything other than adequate in a 2800lb vehicle. I've got a 1.6 in a 2200lb car, and I wouldn't want it in anything much heavier.

Economy should be better though. The parents ran a Ford Focus estate 1.6 and that turned in about 40. Very sluggish though.

If you're used to small cars I think it should suit and the prices are good. If you're down sizing be very careful that you don't find it underpowered.

Hope this helps.

It does help, thanks. I would be downsizing from a Mk3 Mondeo, 1.8 petrol which goes reasonably well. Maybe I'll give the 1.6 a miss and look at the 160hp diesel Cruze.

Chevvy Cruze 1.6LS - Any owners on here? - disbeliever

I have the Cruze Diesel auto 150 bhp and will not be buying another one due to very poor mpg and because it does not come with soon to be mandatory DRL, tyre pressure monitor and also has no powered foldback door mirrors plus very high insurance premium.Have just run approx 290 miles on Shell fuelsaver V power diesel and and only got 27.8 mpg combined despite display showing up to 44 mpg. I am trying another tankful of ordinary Shell fuelsaver diesel. Next car probably the new CEED diesel auto for Sept 1 reg. The Cruze looks good has comfortable seats large useful boot and space saver wheel but not on latest model. available with over £3K off. v good value. The gunge supplied should be made illegal totally useless if split sidewall on tyre. uncomfortable ride on rough London/UK roads incredibly it is impossible to read the instruments safely when travelling fast or when wearing sunglasses display lights up like a XMAS tree at night but dangerous during the day, should have black markings on a white background.

I have the Cruze Diesel auto 150 bhp and will not be buying another one due to very poor mpg and because it does not come with soon to be mandatory DRL, tyre pressure monitor and also has no powered foldback door mirrors plus very high insurance premium.Have just run approx 290 miles on Shell fuelsaver V power diesel and and only got 27.8 mpg combined despite display showing up to 44 mpg. I am trying another tankful of ordinary Shell fuelsaver diesel.

DRL are only mandatory on new cars, you don't need to get them fitted to older cars. Besides, they're a retarded idea, you end up with people just driving about at night on their DRLs, and therefore no tail lights. Why the EU didn't specify rear lights should come on as well is beyond me.

Fuelsaver diesel is a con, it's exactly the same as any other diesel.

I bought my new car this week, and picking it up on Monday. I went for a Mk5 Astra 1.7CDTI Elite. Not quick, but the diesel torque makes it nippier than a 1.6 petrol in my uses, no DPF to clog, and I hope it'll be easy on fuel. Full leather interior, auto lights and wipers, climate, and the Astra is a car Im very comfortable with having owned 4 of them in the past.

Chevvy Cruze 1.6LS - Any owners on here? - disbeliever

I have now tried tankful of ordinaryShell Fuelsaver Diesel and got 27.78 mpg before fuel saver I used to get 29.4 mpg same journeys so it seems V power & fuelsaver are both cons. However a friend of mine using petrol V power says it gives a better performance and I agree engine appears to run better on V power but not worth extra expense. I first experienced day notice running lights back in 1976 on my Volvo 264 GLI and consider them to be a good idea, although at that time people kept pointing at my car indicating my lights were on. Glad you pointed out the problem with current DRL no rear lights at night., Sooner we get out of this rubbish undemocratic EU the better ,our Government is as FOUL as the previous one all they know is how to waste money.

Chevvy Cruze 1.6LS - Any owners on here? - madf

OP tuirn a thread on cars into a political rant!