Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi - Focus DPF - Mister_B

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a 2006 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi estate, it has 55,000 miles on the clock and FSH.

All the reading I'm doing about DPF is slightly worrying, but I do 360 miles per week and 50-60% is motoway driving, I read that long journeys help.

Should I be worried?

Thanks,

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi - Focus DPF - unthrottled

No.

Well not about the DPF at least. I think that engine had some other issues though.

Edited by unthrottled on 04/03/2012 at 14:29

No.

Well not about the DPF at least. I think that engine had some other issues though.

such as ???

Injector seals and turbo failure. The latter believed to be caused by the former. There are a few threads about this on HJ and other sites. Don't know how prevalent the problems are (the people who have suffered problems are usually more vocal than those who haven't!).

However, this engine was developed with PSA and you don't see that many threads about Peugeot 1.6HDi engines having these problems-which makes it seem like a Ford problem.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi - Focus DPF - skidpan

We had the 1.6 TDCi 110 in a Focus for 5 years, never missed a beat, great car. That was a 2005 car without DPF though. When we replaced it we looked at a DPF one but the system on these Fords they use the Eolys system that needs topping up every 36,000 miles and the DPF is a service replacement at 72,000 miles, £1000 for the job, we walked away and bought another brand that did not use Eolys.

How many of these cars get traded with 71,000 miles on the clock?

Doing your mileage do not worry about a DPF but the Eolys system is a costly pain.

Edited by skidpan on 04/03/2012 at 15:54

Thanks for the replies, I know they do 2 versions of this engine, one with and one without the DPF, no idea which this is, I suppose it's the DPF one knowing my luck.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi - Focus DPF - skidpan

Thanks for the replies, I know they do 2 versions of this engine, one with and one without the DPF, no idea which this is, I suppose it's the DPF one knowing my luck.

The 1.6TDCi 110 had a DPF fitted on cars registered from the 1st Jan 2006 onwards. The 1.6 TDCi 90 never had one but the car was a slug.

1.8 TDCi's never had a DPF fitted. We tried one, thought it may be a better buy but the engine was nowhere near as nice to drive as the 1.6 plus its not very economical. The fuel you save with the 1.6 would easily pay for Eolys servicing.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=91541

Technically, all DPFs are service replacements because they will eventually clog up with ash-which can't be burned off. But they should be replaced when full, not at some fixed mileage.

Eolys refilling is a bit of a pain, but it's not that expensive. And you'll get some of the cost back over the 36,000 miles because less diesel is wasted in post injections. I'm not banging the drum for eolys based DPFs, but they shouldn't be seen as deal beakers.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi - Focus DPF - Collos25

72k then you must change the DPF strange that the these go on to 200k and are never touched and a 1000pounds is about three times what they cost to replace.Some people mention DMF or DPF and everybody is supposed to quiver with there cheque book ready.