08 PLATE VW GOLF - Test drive...Golf problems...HELP! - tinks79

Hi Guys,

Test drove an 08 plate petrol golf wih 25k on the clock...

When i started the engine i felt a juddering from underneath, which i put down to the car being cold and having been sat on the garage forecort.

As i was driving it, i noticed the exhaust was noisy so pulled over an revved the car, it sounded like it was mis firing so assumed it was the coil pack which didn't bother me too much.

Took it back to the garage and then a light came on on the dash, the exhaust light... but it was flashing, anyone know what that means?

However i spoke to the sales guy today who said he has looked at the car and that it was an injecter not working properly and has fixed it. Not too sure whether this is a common fault, or should i be worried by the fact an 08 plate car has this problem already?

Any advice?? Is it a minor problem or something i should steer clear of and look at other cars?

08 PLATE VW GOLF - Test drive...Golf problems...HELP! - oldtoffee
If the dealer can't be bothered to prepare the car for sale then I wouldn't entertain them "fixing" it. It's not as if you're buying a banger so look elsewhere IMO.
08 PLATE VW GOLF - Test drive...Golf problems...HELP! - daveyjp

Engine type?

08 PLATE VW GOLF - Test drive...Golf problems...HELP! - BigJohnD

Walk away.

There's plenty of 2nd hand Golfs around.

08 PLATE VW GOLF - Test drive...Golf problems...HELP! - ChannelZ

Hi Guys,

Test drove an 08 plate petrol golf wih 25k on the clock...

Any advice?? Is it a minor problem or something i should steer clear of and look at other cars?

Two pieces of advice.

1. Don't buy a Golf.

2. Don't buy a broken Golf.

There's lots of better cars out there for a lot less money. Ones that won't be broken by 25k.

08 PLATE VW GOLF - Test drive...Golf problems...HELP! - RicardoB

Sounds like a Golf.

Sorry, couldn't resist. But yes, I'd walk away from this one for reasons already shown.

08 PLATE VW GOLF - Test drive...Golf problems...HELP! - madf

A misfire , engine warning light and faulty exhaust should be enough to warn off any canny buyer.

And any dealer selling such rubbish is clearly an unscrupulous toerag best avoided as if things go wrong - and they will - they will fix it post sale as well as they did pre sale...

Don't walk away -- RUN

Edited by madf on 28/02/2012 at 09:22

08 PLATE VW GOLF - Test drive...Golf problems...HELP! - daveyjp

Google "VW 1.4 TSi problems" and a light may be cast on your problems. An 08 with quite a low mileage suggests someone was desperate to get rid.

If it is the super/turbo engine VW decided to end production as it was costing too much for them in warranty claims.

It's just the basic 1.4.
That car is in a quite reputable local garage so wouldn't imagine it's been clocked and it has an easily fixed problem.
Spoken to a mechanic who doesn't seem fazed with it having an injector replaced. But I'm thinking I may be walking away as I don't want to get stung with finance on a dodgy car. Having said that I don't want to walk away from a car that I really like.
Just wondered how likely it was to encounter problems after having this initial one sorter!
08 PLATE VW GOLF - Test drive...Golf problems...HELP! - oldtoffee

>>>>Just wondered how likely it was to encounter problems after having this initial one sorter!

Impossible to say but someone chose not to have the injector replaced. What else did they choose not to do on the car that should have been done when they owned it? Unless the price is substantially better than others same age and mileage, I'd say find another one, plenty about.

08 PLATE VW GOLF - Test drive...Golf problems...HELP! - unthrottled

The problem with a malfunctioning injector is that there could be a lot of petrol and fresh air getting chucked into the exhaust stream. This can goose up the catalytic converter in fairly short order. Very often the new cat has to be welded onto the old exhaust manifold. The welding process weakens the metal-and then you need a new manifold...

As above posters have said, there are plenty of second hand cars on the market!

08 PLATE VW GOLF - Test drive...Golf problems...HELP! - balleballe
It's just the basic 1.4. That car is in a quite reputable local garage so wouldn't imagine it's been clocked and it has an easily fixed problem. Spoken to a mechanic who doesn't seem fazed with it having an injector replaced. But I'm thinking I may be walking away as I don't want to get stung with finance on a dodgy car. Having said that I don't want to walk away from a car that I really like. Just wondered how likely it was to encounter problems after having this initial one sorter!

It's a VW - it will encounter problems sooner rather than later