Tyre Noise - john farrar
Does anyone know where I could get a report/study on the tyre noise generated from different profiles of the same make and type of tyre?

There seems to be lots of ancedotes but few facts.

I would happily buy a set of higher profile wheels if I had suitable evidence that changing from a 45 profile tyre to a 55 profile tyre would make a large difference to the noise levels inside my Audi A3 at motorway speeds.

Tyre Noise - Bobbin Threadbare

Have a look at this:

www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/25...l

And a way of measuring it: bksv.it/doc/bo0452.pdf

There are a lot of papers about his; the journal 'Applied Acoustics' has several (Kim et al 2007)

Tyre Noise - Roly93

I dont think the profile of the tyre will ever make much difference to the road noise, the higher profile will just make the car less twitchy on country roads etc.

Road noise is largely down to a blend of tread pattern and softness of compound and IMHO mainly the latter most of the time. What tyres do you have now, can I guess Dunlops ?

Tyre Noise - john farrar
Almost right, I changed the very noisy Dunlops for the slightly less noisy Michelin Primacys.
Tyre Noise - Ed V

I've done quite a bit of research - and have frequently heard that low profile, as well as width of course, is a factor. I've decided not to change all 4 wheels from 18" to 16". I think noise is a much undersold buying issue, especially with the UKs odd obsession with width and low profile. Look at the 911s of the 1970s - probably 175 / 55 / 15! Now the 911 is 245 / 40 / 19. Useless in snow apart from horrendous noise levels inside and out.

However, I'm about to fit Bridgestone Turanza ER300s (245 / 45 / 18 100Y) on my Citoren C5 2.7 V6 HDi, as they seem focussed on noise reduction and smoothness, while performing well enough in the wet - the only two real issues for me.

Tyre websites generally lead you to each make's sporty or comfort best bet - I suspect there's little difference between the manufacturers, like for like. Bridgestone's Potenza for example is obviously for the track racer which can be gauged by their own write up.

Tyre Noise - ChannelZ

However, I'm about to fit Bridgestone Turanza ER300s (245 / 45 / 18 100Y) on my Citoren C5 2.7 V6 HDi, as they seem focussed on noise reduction and smoothness, while performing well enough in the wet - the only two real issues for me.

Don't bet on it. I've been running the ER300 for years, on Astras, Vectras and now on my Mondeo. They aren't quiet, not in the slightest.

Hankook's Ventus Prime is quieter than the ER300, but doesn't last as long and doesn't have as much outright grip.

Uniroyal's RainExpert is considerably quieter than the ER300 and the VP, but it's handling is mushy at best.

On the Vectra, I replaced the ER300 (225-45-17) with Goodyear Eagle F1-A, and they were better in every way apart from treadwear. The F1-A got about 15k on the front compared to 25k with the ER300.

I've driven a Superb on the Goodyear Eagle F1-A2, and it was excellent. Fantastic grip, excellent handling, very quiet (compared to the Dunlops and Goodyear Excellence on it's sister cars).

I'd go F1-A2 if I were you.