Vauxhall Vectra C - Vectra C In Limp Mode - Shell2.2SRI

The engine Management light came on and the car went into Limp Mode on my Vectra whilst I was driving it.

I took it round to a garage who suspected I had filled up with bad fuel. They changed my Fuel Filter which made no difference. They then told me that my Inlet Manifold needed changing, which they did and it made no difference. They put it on the diagnostic machine which flagged up Crankshaft Sensor, but the garage told me my car doesnt have one? They then told me that my timing chain and tensioners etc needed replaceing. I got a bit fed up with the garage not knowing what was happening and paying for things that didnt need doing so called the RAC out to get me home.

The car seems to run ok when its cold but as soon as it warms up it stalls all the time and only runs in Limp Mode, in the words of the RAC man, "it has a rich smell, smokes a bit and has a diesel knocking noise". He suspects the EGR Valve needs replacing.

Does it sound like the diagnostic was right with the Crankshaft Sensor needing replacing or could it be the EGR valve?

Thanks In Advance!